Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 AM

31,687 posts, read 41,084,323 times

Advertisements

How many folks with investments have never and don't have discussions about how their investments are doing? It is perfectly normal and expected in many circles. Not so in others. If the OP is really 80 and lives in a retirement community their relative income and spending habits are going to become obvious to others in the course of natural living and socializing. What couples could do together at 68 may no longer be affordable to others by age 80. Especially in the case of passive income and the fear and I might add by your 80's reality of outliving your money. The weekly shopping trip crew to the big mall might lose a few members because of income etc. The weekly dinner out crowd might change etc. My wife wanted to stop by a nice higher end CCRC one day and just see what it was like. It was near a very high end Mall. As I sat in the parking lot it seemed like a commercial for the place. Happy faces coming and going often in small groups. A bus arriving etc. I noticed a car driven by an older gentleman pull up in front of the foyer lobby. Three woman got out opened the trunk and pulled out their shopping haul which gave me the impression they had gone to the Mall ( the Macys bags were a give away) merrily the went inside leaving the man ( probably a husband ) to park. The ability to shop at will could change over the years and who knows. That is why the potential for this thread attracted me. How ever it became more a psycho analysis of the OP who know one knows based on their OP. Which is sorta curious and may support his perspective in some ways. Hopefully we will all hit our 80's one day and I for one would like to be able to get some insight as to the issues and pluses of living with and around a bunch of other old farts. I have heard and read that in many of these communities a sizable part of the population keeps to themselves and that as they age it becomes greater. Is this social aging or perhaps does finances/economics play a role. Wouldn't it be nice to have some insights before becoming 80 and perhaps having moved to such a community years earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:15 AM

41 posts, read 49,100 times
I have no problem with people asking me questions about my money, thoughts dreams and history. I am an open book. To me when they ask about my personal life that is a complement.

My only observation was when I was in my fifties and retired, lots of people were upset because they did not think it was fair because I was relaxing they were working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
To ask someone where they get their income from (i.e., "what do you do for a living") uis BEYOND rude. I cannot imagine actually asking someone this question with a straight face. How dare someone have that kind of nerve- its none of their business!! Oh my goodness- I must be from some other planet because I am forever offended by people's behavior every moment. I see more and more people sharing the most personal, private things on the internet on blogs- in person, on TV- without a care in the world. They discuss their divorce, their sex lives, their sex preferences- as if it is common knowledge. I am not past menopause, I am not retired- and I am not an "old fuddy duddy" but I must sound like one, because I am complaining a lot lately about "people these days"

You should NOT be bothered by what someone THINKS of your retirement or income. Like I said, it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS and they should not even be asking.

Next time someone asks you "what you do" follow it up with a question of your own: "When was your last bowel movement?"

Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 AM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post
"Must be nice!"

Maybe early retirement in scheme of things is not really fair, when other people are working until their 70s. I am feeling guilty. I wake up and more money comes in and I did nothing. It's crazy!
I wish I had that problem :-)
Guilt can be resolved by what you do with your time and a few bucks sent to a good cause. I have a feeling that I could be doing something useful and altruistic but I lie down and it usually goes away.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,356,557 times
Quote:
I have no problem with people asking me questions about my money, thoughts dreams and history. I am an open book. To me when they ask about my personal life that is a complement.

My only observation was when I was in my fifties and retired, lots of people were upset because they did not think it was fair because I was relaxing they were working.

You are now in your 80's and are talking about something that happened in your 50's?

Can I suggest a head scan.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I wish I had that problem :-)
Guilt can be resolved by what you do with your time and a few bucks sent to a good cause. I have a feeling that I could be doing something useful and altruistic but I lie down and it usually goes away.
Afternoon naps cure a lot!

Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
You are now in your 80's and are talking about something that happened in your 50's?

Can I suggest a head scan.
They are reflecting on the last thirty years of their life. Early Retirees will often be retired longer than they work and funding that difference can be challenging and different from one to the next. Hey maybe that's what this thread is about.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,356,557 times
Gee, I must have missed that in the OP. But don't think so. The thread may have morphed into that for some.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
No doubt and perhaps rightly so. But the issue here is that nobody asked yet you led off by touting it nonetheless.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Hm! Has anyone else noticed that the OP is now "Not a member?"

Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM

11,157 posts, read 9,792,935 times
Don't worry he'll come back with a new handle soon. I thought only members could post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement