Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:04 AM

41 posts, read 49,040 times

Advertisements

Financial experts tell us we should increase our annual withdrawal each year from our retirement accounts to match inflation. Seems logical, but after 30 years of retirement I still struggle trying to figure out what inflation actually is. In the 21st Century, the offical consumer price index has been averaging a 3% increase each year. But most people I know say their personal actual inflation is close to a 5% increase each year.

How much of an inflation increase did you account for when you update your retirement fund distribution for 2014 and 2015? How about 2016?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
how long is a rope ?

there is no answer as like snow flakes no two of us will be a like .

we spend differently , live in different areas and buy different products . comparing is almost an exercise in futility.

my sister refinanced her home and is running less in expenses then in 2007 at this point . i rent and run much more , especially medical insurance .

adjusting usually ends up being not a yearly thing as much as evolutionary over time . you may see zero need for a few years and then a huge jump .

Old 09-28-2015, 07:17 AM

41 posts, read 49,040 times
The question was how much is inflation in your household!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Our inflation rate is unknown as our spending patterns and habits change. Dietary wants change, transportation wants change as does recreation etc. our income goes up and so does our spending. Eight years into retirement things are different than when we started and that is a good thing. We know eggs are more and our food consumption pattern has changed.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
With the stronger Dollar, we are experiencing negative inflation this year and likely 2016 as well!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
I'm not retired but am at the phase in my life best described as the retirement planning zone.

I personally have used a 2% inflation rate and I use a 4% rate of return rate on retirement investment funds.

Some have told me the 2% is too low and it may be. I think what really matters is the spread between rate of return and inflation; in my case it's 2%. That's what the focus should be in my opinion. You'd be surprised how many people I come across who have a ton of money doing nothing for them. They're comfortable having a ton of cash and savings sitting in their favorite banks to whom they are so loyal, afraid to invest it because of fear they might lose it because of stock market volatility. To them I say, have you every considered inflation risk?

Inflation can be expressed as an overall percentage but actually there are many components to it and the inflation rates of those components will vary significantly. Health care costs for example, will certainly be more than 2% or 3% unless you are covered by a very good post-retirement health insurance plan like is the case with government retirees.

I'll focus on the spread and strive for it to be at least 2% as in my above example.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
The best approach might be to calculate the annual rate of change of the local cost of living index for, say the past 5 year period, and then redo the calculation every few years and adjust your deposits. But then you should also do the same on the rate of return-side for your portfolio, do both in one calculation using a real annual rate of interest = (1+ annual rate of return on investment(r))/(1+ annual rate of inflation) and apply it to your portfolio. For low rates in the denominator, this is approximately(p) = r-p, but why approximate?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post
Financial experts tell us we should increase our annual withdrawal each year from our retirement accounts to match inflation. Seems logical, but after 30 years of retirement I still struggle trying to figure out what inflation actually is. In the 21st Century, the offical consumer price index has been averaging a 3% increase each year. But most people I know say their personal actual inflation is close to a 5% increase each year.

How much of an inflation increase did you account for when you update your retirement fund distribution for 2014 and 2015? How about 2016?
I assume you are referring to the safe withdrawal studies. The inflation rate would be for the USA and probably close to the 3% you mentioned.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:06 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
no , that is only the price changes on a basket of goods and services based on 1500 mini economy's in this country .

what he was looking for is an actual personal cost of living approximation which can be totally different from the cpi .

remember , the cpi does not know which of those products you buy , how many times you buy it and the level of quality of goods you buy . the more above the basic and thebetter the quality the higher the price increases on that item . everyone rents in the cpi calculations an no one owns a home either .

but the problem with what the op is asking is retirees tend to spend in a smile shape always changing the amount of inflation adjusting as they age .

in the beginning there may be lots of inflation adjusting needed but as you age you do less and spend less so the things you no longer do or buy cover the increases in the things you do use .

then later in your 80's the pattern picks up again as healthcare costs rise and gifting picks up .

the wild card though has been medical insurance costs and that has in some cases been eating up the shift in spending so each persons insurance situation can impact the amount of inflation adjusting needed in a big way .

Old 09-29-2015, 02:12 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Rmd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement