Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times

Advertisements

Anyone who decided on a place to live in retirement, actually moved there and then decided to go somewhere else?? I am just wondering if this is a really common occurrence in retirement and what are the reasons. Did you feel after doing a whole lot of research and internet exploring, actually living in the new place was not what you thought it would be ?? Why ?

And were you able to go to a new place relatively inexpensively or did it cost an arm and a leg??

Anyone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
We could end up doing that but the move would be for aging reasons and moving where transportation and services are at our door step

Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We could end up doing that but the move would be for aging reasons and moving where transportation and services are at our door step
I haven't yet but my wife just did. We moved from California to the Missouri Ozarks and she recently moved back to California after six years here. If, or maybe when, I move because infirmity makes living in rural hill country impractical it will probably be to the east coast where my youngest son (age 43) and his family have settled. They'd like me to do so now but there's no need and I'm not ready. They want me to move in with them and their two young sons (7 and 1) but that remains to be seen. However, the day may come...

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-28-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Usually most people move to be closer to family or for medical/practical reasons.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:16 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
I don't think I will stay where I am. I sold my home and most of my possessions before I moved and have got rid of more in the years I've been renting. This apartment is starting to feel too large and the town too (can't think of a word). My next move will be easy compared to the last one.

I will always rent. I think about house sitting for snow birders or some such. I want to see the ocean again. I might find a cheap place out of season. Life with minimal possessions seems to have freed me up. I like it.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,324 times
Sure ~ built up a place in rural Iowa to retire in. Found company I worked for (brothers and I) wouldn't let me retire~ so moved to Colorado. The winter home we had in Az. was good but didn't meet our wants so bought a home that did. The summer home in Colorado became a problem because of the high altitude~ so we got a place in Prescott Valley that was lower in altitude. It also allows us to got back and forth to our winter home in about three hours. We are far from family but happy with where we are at the moment. But I won't rule out another move as I didn't see the last three moves coming much in advance either.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,422 times
Yep!!! We originally came from western PA and moved to a 55+ in South Carolina, just south of Charlotte, NC in March, 2008. This was to be our retirement home. Told hubby they would have to take me out of there on a stretcher or in a box. I lied. Fast forward 7 years.....DD is getting married and talking family, while moving 4 hours further away (she was 12 hrs. away before). Decided that I just couldn't take only seeing them twice a year and flying was becoming a "no way" option since the last 4 hour flight from Charlotte to Syracuse ended up taking 13 hours and going through Minneapolis into Albany, so after some research off we went to another 55+ in Dover, DE in April, 2015.

So far it's working out well. DD is coming down this weekend (4 hr drive) so that we can go wedding dress shopping. Would have missed out on that if we had stayed in SC. But this is going to have to be the last move if nothing but for financial reasons. We were lucky that our SC house appreciated so much in that time. Unless I go out on that stretcher or in a box again!!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Anyone who decided on a place to live in retirement, actually moved there and then decided to go somewhere else?? I am just wondering if this is a really common occurrence in retirement and what are the reasons. Did you feel after doing a whole lot of research and internet exploring, actually living in the new place was not what you thought it would be ?? Why ?

And were you able to go to a new place relatively inexpensively or did it cost an arm and a leg??

Anyone??
We are retired from our former jobs but not completely retired from working part-time. We moved from 45 minutes away to here, a vast improvement in lifestyle. Things to do, and still easy access to the New England countryside when we want that. We found it's much easier to periodically get to the "country" from living in town than it is to live rural or semi-rural and get to the city when we want, most esp in the evenings. So that has been successful, and we and our kids moved us in UHauls so it didn't cost. We will move again, in our 70s, to a much more manageable property, so that move comes under "age-related" reasons. To that end, we are paring down what we own because we know all to well what is to move, having done so many times and helped others to as well.

Paring way down is the key to a less expensive and much less stressful move. I know two couples in their 70s who just moved from large houses with packed basements and garages into condos. What a scene.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I haven't yet but my wife just did. We moved from California to the Missouri Ozarks and she recently moved back to California after six years here. If, or maybe when, I move because infirmity makes living in rural hill country impractical it will probably be to the east coast where my youngest son (age 43) and his family have settled. They'd like me to do so now but there's no need and I'm not ready. They want me to move in with them and their two young sons (7 and 1) but that remains to be seen. However, the day may come...
I am trying to wrap around this stage and topic in advance. Not real easy as we have no idea when it will be to late. Better to soon but that is hard to not be way to soon. Caring for folks in their mid 70's on I am learning is a new and changing industry targeted toward specific income demographics. Sorta scary because if you don't have the means I am not sure how much interest there is in helping. For x dollars you can sorta buy a secure path.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Moved to SW Florida when first retired at 55, and now are building new home in West Central Florida (nature coast) area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement