Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When a woman retires, she just retires at her second job. Her first job at homemaking and being a wife and mother goes on until she cannot move any more. ...
I took over cooking, cleaning and raising the children when I retired; so my wife could have a full-time career.

At the time we had one bio-son, one adopted-son, and three foster-children living at home with us. I helped with their homeschooling, I was the taxi service, I dealt with case-workers, child-therapists and school teachers.

Our children are all gone now. My wife still has her career, though she is thinking about cutting back to part-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And then her husband, if he's worth his salt and who ideally has been helping all along, takes up the slack and takes over all those chores. At least that was my experience until she left. No complaints about the increased "workload." You do what you have to do for the benefit of both of you.
I haven't washed a full load of dishes in I don't know how long!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When a woman retires, she just retires at her second job. Her first job at homemaking and being a wife and mother goes on until she cannot move any more. I retired at my second job at 61. I had worked long enough that I got paid what SS would have paid me until 62. It was called a separation allowance. Took reduced SS at 62 and have no regrets. I make more now with SS, retirement, and retirement account than I brought home when I was working. Do I deserve it? I don't know but it is nice.
Have to ask - what are those duties of homemaking, wife and mother, that never end?

For homemaking - I guess that would be cleaning? That can be sourced out. Decorating - same.

Wife and mother? Mom at that age should be catered to and not be stressed with "kid" problems. I know it is hard because I see my sisters stressing themselves out with their 30 and 40 year old "kids". Which I do not understand.

I swear they agonize over whether their "kids" lawns are mowed or not.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I am trying to figure out what jobs a mother does after retirement...aren't all the kids grown and out of the house? I never did ALL the homemaking and housekeeping before I retired and I sure don't after. Since we both worked full-time, we both kept up the work around the home front equally. I shop, cook and do the routine housework. He does the dishes/kitchen after we eat, mows the lawn, and takes care of the trash, the litterbox, the cars, and does his own laundry. When major deep cleaning of the house is needed we split the work.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I am trying to figure out what jobs a mother does after retirement...aren't all the kids grown and out of the house? I never did ALL the homemaking and housekeeping before I retired and I sure don't after. Since we both worked full-time, we both kept up the work around the home front equally. I shop, cook and do the routine housework. He does the dishes/kitchen after we eat, mows the lawn, and takes care of the trash, the litterbox, the cars, and does his own laundry. When major deep cleaning of the house is needed we split the work.
I'm a female and I sometimes get bent out of shape when we as females take the male role for granted.

Its always cleaning the house, laundry blah, blah, blah.

I doubt most men just sit around and do nothing. Until he became ill, I never touched a lawn mower. The amount of time he spent out there in one day easily surpassed the amount of time I spent on house work in a week.

He just did it in one day - housework is a daily thing.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
My mom is 58 and says she is done working at 62, my dad is still going strong and working full time at 68. I plan to work till 70, what age did you guys retire?
It all depends on a pension..Those with pensions get to retire comfortably//

Too bad most of us saw those days go by the wayside.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:46 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

You are saying implicitly that only those with pensions get to retire comfortably, whereas the truth is that millions and millions of people without pensions also retire comfortably, even if that's a little harder and less automatic. A comfortable retirement depends on multiple factors including pensions, 401(k) employer matches, lifetime earnings under Social Security, two working spouses or only one, life-long spending habits, life-long savings habits, life-long earning levels, and perhaps more which I haven't thought of.

Why do you attempt to reduce those multiple factors to only one?

Old 10-02-2015, 03:30 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

I am very thankful for my pension. Though when I see so much conversation today about raising the Minimum-Wage, and arguing about how it is impossible to live in that level of income; I have to chuckle.

There is a big crowd of people who claim you can not live on X, and yet you are saying it provides a comfortable living.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:32 PM

335 posts, read 376,636 times
35 , I am 51 now, but I work for myself dont have to but want to

Old 10-02-2015, 04:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
35 , I am 51 now, but I work for myself dont have to but want to
Then you're not really retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement