Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,865,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Just a tip: It hasn't been called "Workman's Compensation for at least 20 years, because that term discriminates against working women. It's called Workers' Compensation now. If you talk to the WC office, advise you say it correctly. Having personally dealt with WC cases, you don't want any WC female reps getting offended.
Half the people I speak to in an official capacity don't even speak English. You think maybe a government employee could overlook someone calling a program by the name it had until 20 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 PM

168 posts, read 173,659 times
I would do the scatter gun approach....first if I didn't get an answer I would ask for the next person up keeping track of names and dates. Then I would send a letter to the highest person in charge of the department with copies and cover letters to local and federal politicians and news stations, followed up by phone calls. I know it sounds over the top but it is an election year.

This approach worked for me in the past. Once when I dealt with child support services to help my granddaughter and her mother. Second when I dealt with a military command that thought they were untouchable. The first resulted in very quick service, the second resulted in an investigation by a brigadier general.

Good Luck.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,236,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suevee View Post
I would do the scatter gun approach....first if I didn't get an answer I would ask for the next person up keeping track of names and dates. Then I would send a letter to the highest person in charge of the department with copies and cover letters to local and federal politicians and news stations, followed up by phone calls. I know it sounds over the top but it is an election year.
- I'm a great believer in hitting flies with sledgehammers - especially when dealing with stupid customer service people, greedy companies, and stubborn government entities. Works every time. Hit 'em on all fronts.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 AM

6,499 posts, read 6,968,512 times
Quote:

This approach worked for me in the past. Once when I dealt with child support services to help my granddaughter and her mother. Second when I dealt with a military command that thought they were untouchable. The first resulted in very quick service, the second resulted in an investigation by a brigadier general.

Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
- I'm a great believer in hitting flies with sledgehammers - especially when dealing with stupid customer service people, greedy companies, and stubborn government entities. Works every time. Hit 'em on all fronts.

Both of these people Suevee and Ariadne are absolutley right. In Massachusetts it is channel 7. I had issues getting some paperwork sent to me. A nice letter to the late Senator Edward M Kennedy resolved that in short order (politics not withstanding). The more people that are made aware of the situation in power and beyond the better. As Ariadne said kill flies best. Use the sledge hammer.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 AM

12,046 posts, read 10,170,810 times
Quote:

Good Luck.
yep - when the friend I mentioned in a previous post asked about her ex-husbands SS, it took THREE people in the same office to come to a conclusion. They were not sure - it's crazy!!!

Old 10-03-2015, 04:49 PM

5,279 posts, read 5,949,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katicabogar1 View Post
OK, here is my situation. When I turned 62 a few months ago, someone from SSA called, wanted to know, if I still receive Workman's Comp along with my SSDI benefits? It surprised me, they had no clue, it stopped one month after I started receiving SSDI benefits back in 2009.
Anyway, I provided all information to prove when it ended and gave my consent to gather more info from Labor and Industries, if needed.
Two months later I received a letter from SSA informing me, I was over payed between 2006 and 2015 and they will re-coupe this amount, unless I appeal.
I collected Workman's Compensation between 2006 and 2009, applied for SSDI, which was granted in 2009.
My attorney's office handled both my Workman's Comp and SSDI, which they had great experience regarding the calculation, what I was supposed to get.
Now SSA claiming, calculation regarding the offset was wrong, but they didn't explain exactly in what years or months and how they came to this conclusion.
I appealed of course and while my appeal pending, they should not deduct any of these so called over payment, but that's what they did. Not getting anything this month and partial SSDI next month.
I contacted my attorney, they were great to review my file, assured me, calculation was correct, SSA is incorrect. They even typed up my appeal letter stating, SSA failed to take into consideration the monthly attorney fees deducted, which should not be included as income.

Anyway, I called several times, was advised to contact my local SSA office, which I did, where I am getting the run-around. All I want to know, how did they do their calculation and explain to me their reasoning, which I am not getting.
I am very low income, every penny matters what I am not getting and I am very very upset and frustrated, what's happening. My attorney can't represent me anymore, as SSA indicated, since my case closed back in 2009, although they still advise me if needed without charge. But looks like, the battle is on me and I am just not sure, what to do next.

Anyone has some advise? Maybe some website I can visit?
Thank you.
It sounds as if you had your file reviewed and had a personal "hearing" at the field office. Is that right?

I don't know why SSA or your attorney would state that your attorney could no longer represent you in your current appeal, as that's not true. The issue is that your attorney cannot get paid in the usual manner, that is, from your past owed benefits, because obviously you are not entitled to past owed benefits. You would have to pay him out of pocket (after SSA's approval) and I doubt he wants to represent you under those terms. (And let's face it, the amount allegedly owed to SSA might be significantly less than what you would incur in attorney's fees.)

I also can't tell by your posting whether you asked for a waiver of the alleged over payment. Nevertheless, SSA is allowed to proceed with offsetting the amount owed once the field office issues a written decision upholding the agency's finding of an over payment.

You are correct that the Agency must explain how the determination of an over payment was reached. Unfortunately, there is no requirement that the Agency must ensure that you understand the rationale and calculations behind the determination. It is unclear from your post whether you received a lump sum payment from Social Security for the months you would have been entitled to SS disability benefits prior to your actual application for benefits. Or, if you received a lump sum from Workers' Comp after you became entitled to SS Disability benefits.

If you appealed a decision issued after the personal hearing, then your next hearing will be before an Administrative Law Judge. You can contact your Congressional Representative for "assistance" and perhaps the Agency's liaison, but I wouldn't bother contacting anyone else. A call from the Representative's office can speed up your case, but won't change the ultimate outcome. Same thing with the liaison. Nevertheless, it IS nice having someone help move your case along.

*I'm not going to take the time to proofread the above, so if there are typos, etc., please ignore them.*

Old 10-07-2015, 05:57 PM

16 posts, read 46,162 times
Thank you all who took time to respond. Here is an update. I managed to speak with a supervisor at my local SSA office about a week ago. She agreed, while my appeal for Reconsideration is still pending, the payment center shouldn't recoup anything. As it was too late to stop the deduction, she told me to go back tomorrow and they will issue me a check for what SSA already deducted(will see how it goes tomorrow).
Also, she re-submitted my appeal for re-consideration, as she thinks, it was lost somewhere. I will not file a waiver, because that indicates, they are right, I am just asking to re-pay in installments.
I also contacted my senator's office, not sure if they will help or not. I will update this forum on my situation later, as I think, everyone can learn from other people's difficulties.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:40 AM

31,346 posts, read 14,060,591 times
[quote=NYgal2NC;41420078]Got to wonder what is going on with these people in authority. Can we trust them to do the work correctly?
One of my neighbors just got a letter from SS telling her that due to something with her medical insurance that is enhanced with a state program, she was overpaid and will deduct $34 per month till the new year.
What gives? Indiscriminately decide oh, you are being overpaid...... how does this happen after all of these months? And what does the person do when they need every last dollar to live on?[/quote]

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
You're welcome.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:08 PM

16 posts, read 46,162 times
Here is an other update on my situation. As I mentioned before, my local SSA office agreed to stop the deduction, while my case is being reviewed . I got the check and I also got a response from my senator's office, that they contacted SSA in my behalf. So it is still pending, at least they stopped the re-coup process.
I am not sure what's happening with SSA. My friend, who is 59 years old and on disability for three years, got two phone calls from two different organizations. They claimed, SSA hired them to offer this deal...if she goes back to work, she will get a one time payment of $9000.00. Of course she declined, she is on disability for medical reasons. Anyone had this experience?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:00 PM

5,279 posts, read 5,949,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katicabogar1 View Post
Here is an other update on my situation. As I mentioned before, my local SSA office agreed to stop the deduction, while my case is being reviewed . I got the check and I also got a response from my senator's office, that they contacted SSA in my behalf. So it is still pending, at least they stopped the re-coup process.
I am not sure what's happening with SSA. My friend, who is 59 years old and on disability for three years, got two phone calls from two different organizations. They claimed, SSA hired them to offer this deal...if she goes back to work, she will get a one time payment of $9000.00. Of course she declined, she is on disability for medical reasons. Anyone had this experience?
It's always nice when a poster returns to update her situation. So far, so good, eh?

I find the phone calls to your friend to be very disturbing. It sounds like a scam. The bigger concern is how did they find out she was receiving Social Security Disability? She may want to contact Social Security to report the calls.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/phila/scams.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement