Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times

Advertisements

Are you fifty something? Sixty Something? If you don't move fast you may be out of luck along with all of the rest of us. Because of the Recession of 2008 Social Security is in worse shape than you thought. Predictions from the Congressional Accounting Office have predicted that the trust fund will be used up by 2029.

How did this happen? The Recession reduced the size of the work force. You no longer had ten to twenty million Americans paying into Social Security with the required corporate match.

What will happen? Starting in 2029 everyone's benefits will be cut by 25%

What can be done? The cap on earnings subject to SS tax is currently about 118,000 a year. Remove the cap. Now your CEO and all of his/her Vice Presidents will pay into SS what 100 average employees do and by law the company matches. Removing the cap on taxed earnings will put the funds in now that we will need later.

Call your Congressman now because the trust fund needs to be replenished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:10 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Nonsense. SS is out of whack because of a very strange demographic blip called the Baby Boom. Sure the recession hurt but right now, and for the next 10-15 years, we have many more taking out then paying in. As the boomers die off the contributors to recipients ratio will level off and things will begin to balance out.

Now I do think things need to change: rise the ages for receipt, possibly increase the SS tax (a tiny increase will have a huge effect) but to think that we will never get our money is something I'll never believe.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Nonsense. SS is out of whack because of a very strange demographic blip called the Baby Boom. Sure the recession hurt but right now, and for the next 10-15 years, we have many more taking out then paying in. As the boomers die off the contributors to recipients ratio will level off and things will begin to balance out.

Now I do think things need to change: rise the ages for receipt, possibly increase the SS tax (a tiny increase will have a huge effect) but to think that we will never get our money is something I'll never believe.
By saying "nonsense" you deny my entire premise. Then you go on to say that something needs to be done. I think that we are in agreement that help is needed. You just don't agree that we should tax those who have profited the most from the labor of several million workers.

While I agree that the tax should be raised, the age to qualify is high enough. If you don't believe that, walk around the lunch room of the last place you've worked/work. If this is a rank and file lunch room, let me know how many people you see with grey hair.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 07-26-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
You might want to note there is already a thread discussing social security and problems regarding it.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
You might want to note there is already a thread discussing social security and problems regarding it.
Thank you. I will find it.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Default There is no Social Security forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
It may have been deleted. I've issued a find command using "Social Security" in the appropriate field with no hits.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 07-26-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
It may have been deleted. I've issued a find command using "Social Security" in the appropriate field with no hits.

It would be better to review the list of threads under retirement. Different titles but all concerning SS.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
here is the thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ow-can-we.html

Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
I strongly support raising or removing the cap and I would be affected (I would pay more in). Yes, plenty of threads about this and nothing really new here. I am not sure why it makes sense to resurrect an old one that may have some outdated info versus starting a new one though. I do agree there should not be multiple active ones. Maybe there should be a sticky about SS; it probably comes up as often or maybe more often than the "relocating alone" thread that is a sticky.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I strongly support raising or removing the cap and I would be affected (I would pay more in). Yes, plenty of threads about this and nothing really new here. I am not sure why it makes sense to resurrect an old one that may have some outdated info versus starting a new one though. I do agree there should not be multiple active ones. Maybe there should be a sticky about SS; it probably comes up as often or maybe more often than the "relocating alone" thread that is a sticky.
The thread linked to in the post before yours is not an "old one", and it is currently active. There was lots of discussion about raising or abolishing the cap. Why repeat it all here? Also, the present OP posted in that other thread not that many days ago (post #101). He is being disingenuous (to put it politely) in claiming not to know about previous discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement