Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 04:09 PM

91 posts, read 110,184 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I've been looking for a clear answer to this question "is social security disablity" taxable in New York and if so at what rate I've been searching the web and it's all very confusing also while I'm at it if I relocate to another state will the amount stay the same or would ssi reduce the amount?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,699,983 times
Social Security disability benefits can be subject to tax, but most people do not end up paying taxes on them because they don't have much other income. Some disability recipients do pay some taxes, because of their spouse's income or other household income. Since it is a federal program you will receive the same amount no matter where you live.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:19 PM

7,531 posts, read 13,686,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaby View Post
Hi all
I've been looking for a clear answer to this question "is social security disablity" taxable in New York and if so at what rate I've been searching the web and it's all very confusing also while I'm at it if I relocate to another state will the amount stay the same or would ssi reduce the amount?
Thanks
Looking at https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources...ility-Benefits where it says "Social security benefits include monthly retirement, survivor and disability benefits." can be subject to taxation based on a worksheet with IRS Form 1040 (see page 16 of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf). As said, it may depend on what, if any, other income there is. That's what the worksheet will tell you.

and looking at https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicati...come/pub36.pdf where it says "Social security benefits and Tier 1 railroad retirement benefits that are included in federal adjusted gross income are exempt from state and local income taxes and may be subtracted from your federal adjusted gross income when computing your NewYork adjusted gross income". So if you have other NY income that is taxable, SSDI benefits can be subtracted from the Federal AGI you carry over to the state form.

So it would appear that SSDI benefits are not subject to additional taxation by NY state.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:21 PM

91 posts, read 110,184 times
thanks for the fast and clear respond very very helpful

Old 01-18-2016, 06:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,221,794 times
Quote:
Hi all
Thanks
https://www.tax.ny.gov/

I'm not seeing where it's "very confusing."

Perhaps you could call your local State tax office and ask.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,529,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Social Security disability benefits can be subject to tax, but most people do not end up paying taxes on them because they don't have much other income. Some disability recipients do pay some taxes, because of their spouse's income or other household income. Since it is a federal program you will receive the same amount no matter where you live.

I interpreted the question as whether NYS taxes Social Security payments. (I don't know the answer to that question.)

Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I interpreted the question as whether NYS taxes Social Security payments. (I don't know the answer to that question.)
It depends on how much income you have. If you have a spouse and he/she works it could exceed the ceiling in that state to pay taxes.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 AM

6,785 posts, read 5,516,087 times
Quote:
Hi all
Thanks
I live in Upstate NY. I have a spouse who works two jobs and I am allowed a small income thanks to Bush Jr..
I PAY NO TAXES, STATE OR FEDERAL on my SSDI.
It all depends on your income from other sources, either single or married.

We'd have to have something like an income of $38k of other sources before my benefit would be taxable, and we don't but barely make less than that exclusive of my SSDI, so I have never paid a penny of taxes on my SSDI in 13 years in NY state.

Now, if you relocate it would depend on THAT states policies on taxing such benefits, but with NY being a "high tax" state, I would venture to say you WON'T pay taxes on any of it elsewhere.

If you have ANY doubts, consult a tax man{wo***** or accountant about it, and be ready with all the details of you income.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement