Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 AM

16,012 posts, read 21,025,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
It may have been one of those rare cases but then reading today about another poster's experience causes me pause.
That other poster has been unhappy with the level of healthcare (and lots of other things) in the last three places he's lived. He's in a small landlocked town in TN and complains that he can't get fish like the fresh caught he used to have when he lived ON the coast for pete's sake. Sometimes you have to consider the source of the negative comments and maybe take them with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,177,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That other poster has been unhappy with the level of healthcare (and lots of other things) in the last three places he's lived. He's in a small landlocked town in TN and complains that he can't get fish like the fresh caught he used to have when he lived ON the coast for pete's sake. Sometimes you have to consider the source of the negative comments and maybe take them with a grain of salt.
I wonder if this is the same person I am thinking of ... in JC now, was in a small town near Nashville before that. I guess I didn't really search deep enough to see the poster's history. I do usually look for that though as I've seen a lot of these attitude from my own state forum.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Thanks. This is what I was wondering about. Knoxville is only an hour or so away so that wouldn't be too bad with UT-Knoxville, in addition to Fort Sanders. Actually Knoxville and Cookeville is also on my list of possible places to retire in TN, and I believe the COL is lower for both cities compared to JC, though I like the feel of the Tri-Cities the best. I have heard very good things about Cookeville Hospital and it's the closest to a big airport (Nashville).
JC, especially real estate, is more expensive than one would believe. Last I checked, JC housing prices are well above the state median, while its income is below it.

If you need cheap flights, the only place to go from the Tri-Cities is Charlotte.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you need cheap flights, the only place to go from the Tri-Cities is Charlotte.
If you want them cheap, you might want the connection. I considered driving to Charlotte because I was connecting through there but then the flight became non stop and the price shot up.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,222,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't understand this budget. Is this $150 total for rent????
I thought the same thing!!!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I would check out Tenn, especially the Knoxville area (lots of small towns around it). It will have some of the summer days you don't like, but anywhere except out West will have some of those. You have so many things in conflict on your wish list that you need to prioritize because something has to give.
OP said humidity was an issue. The only places I know that are dry and rarely cold are in the Southwest.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:16 PM

90 posts, read 126,985 times
Downsize where you are, I don't have a sense that either one of you really want to leave - then travel, visit, explore with no timeline. When you are ready for the answer it will be a much easier decision and it will fall into place or be more obvious when some circumstances present themselves.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
OP said humidity was an issue. The only places I know that are dry and rarely cold are in the Southwest.
OP has an impossible list; I discounted the ones that seemed to have less conviction. OP commented that TN was indeed a top option already.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,971,995 times
If your home is paid then you should just retire at home and keep the expenses down and save from your SS and pension , you could travel if you have expendable saving which you do not need even in hard times

Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
COuntry Karen:
You are asking for a miracle!
I admit to not reading all responses, so forgive me if these are repeated ideas;

First: you {and HE] need to decided WHERE to go...if you want away from now and cold, that pretty much means south. How about Georgia? its NOT the Carolinas,and is not Fl. Happy in between. And the Higher grounds of the Carolinas are NOT the low lands!

Tennessee or Arkansas has a winter, but generally over rather quick. A few inches of snow beats a few feet of snow,and 35F beats the brutal Negatives F we have had in the NE we have had of late!

Second: How about a duplex at each locale? That way you will automatically have someone to "watch the place" while you are in the opposite territory. That way you can afford BOTH locales, and not throw money away on rent. AS it will/should take care of the carrying costs' of each property if done well. Pick property well so as to get good paying tenants and PAY an expert landlord/tenant attorney who can develop an iron-clad lease for you! a more expensive property in good section of town is better than a cheapy in town. Look into it they can be hard to find and expensive to build.

Third: IF you go the RV route, try renting a smaller one first to travel to see if you like an area to settle in and stay a while! Take another car to travel around the local area once there. keep in mind that extras such as satellite TV cost money,and you will have little/no address for things like CC bills.

Fourth: sell the farm, OR rent out the farm land to another farmer who will farm it. If you sell, then you can buy a duplex{s} for the time being. Be SURE To consider your health in future...such as NO STAIRS.

Fifth: warmth and no snow = south {or PNW}, no way around it. Hate to say it but hubby is gonna have to give on it.

Sixth: you COULD consider to rent a place each winter in a south american country cheaply but: be prepared!

We are facing the same: retire cheaply and most likely be snowbirds too TO help we are considering duplexes to cover the property costs. and will travel and spend a few months in areas e are considering..most likely for us Georgia, as we don't really like FL. We don't wnat to suffer the summer heat yet,s o we will [when we retire] snowbird for awhile until it gtes too hard to do.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement