Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
We retired to Greenville, SC, almost two years now. Actually, we live in a suburb called Simpsonville. We are very happy here....check it out! There are a lot of transplants here, and have received nothing but gracious welcome.
I'm a snowbird from western Canada, and although my condo is in the Tampa area, I have made friends in North and South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama and the panhandle (which might as well be Alabama). I have found southerns most gracious and accepting. Of course I get ribbed about the Canadian 'eh', but I get them right back in that they think there is a grammatical difference between "y'all" and "all y'all".

Great people as a rule. Don't be afraid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 10:08 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I'm thinking about buying one of those tiny homes built on a trailer that can be moved from one place to another. I'd like to keep it parked on a lake lot in Maine. It should keep the taxes down as well and it might make a really good vacation rental. If you do something like that it may pay for itself and free up some money for you to rent a condo for a couple of months any where you want to go. I think it would be fun to be a gypsy for awhile and it would give you enough time to explore an area you might decide to make your permanent home. Keep the tiny house as a vacation rental until it pays for itself and sell it if you get tired of it, then sell off the land. If you do it right you might make enough of a profit for a hefty down payment on your dream home.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:28 PM

486 posts, read 653,518 times
We lived in Fall Branch, TN, for 6 years (2000-2006). It's a wide spot in the road halfway between Kingsport and Johnson City. The Fourth of July parade was 2 firetrucks and a fat kid pushing a bicycle. The fire department actually sold fireworks.

Believe me, if you weren't born there, you'll never fit in. It turns gray and overcast in September and stays gray and overcast until May. It didn't snow much while we were there, but would be in the upper 30s/low 40s with miserable bone-chilling rain. Mud so deep it sucked the shoes off the horses' feet. Redneck neighbors that would gather to party on Saturday night, build a big bonfire, get s**tfaced drunk, pass out, and I'd have to call the fire department before their fire burned my barn. One guy was thrilled when his 16-year-old daughter got pregnant "now I'll be a grandpa!"

Kingsport did have a good hospital and doctors. I had surgery for breast cancer while I was there and my care was exemplary as was my followup care.

We left when we finally unloaded the farm (house & 43 acres) on some people from Corpus Christi, TX, as the locals refused to believe it was worth what we paid for it. The day we left Fall Branch, it was hotter than it was in Live Oak, Florida, our first move after leaving Tennessee. That was July 28th, 2006, my birthday, and the happiest day of my life was seeing TN in my rearview mirror for the last time.

Taxes on the house (2000+ sf) and 43 acres were under $800 a year. Sales tax at that point was 9.5% and they charged it on everything including food and prescriptions.

We live in Ocala, FL, now. The hottest it got this year was about 97 in mid July. It's 79 now with lows in the low 60s. Traffic is horrible, but we have everything a person could need or want here. It does freeze occasionally here, but warms right up. Sales tax is currently 6% but they're trying like hades to get it up to 7%. No state income tax in Florida. My light bill runs $180 a month year around, but I'm running an 18 x 45 foot pool and a hot tub and I believe in staying warm in the winter. Property taxes on my home ($245k) are about $3000 a year.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
We lived in Fall Branch, TN, for 6 years (2000-2006). It's a wide spot in the road halfway between Kingsport and Johnson City. The Fourth of July parade was 2 firetrucks and a fat kid pushing a bicycle. The fire department actually sold fireworks.

Believe me, if you weren't born there, you'll never fit in. It turns gray and overcast in September and stays gray and overcast until May. It didn't snow much while we were there, but would be in the upper 30s/low 40s with miserable bone-chilling rain. Mud so deep it sucked the shoes off the horses' feet. Redneck neighbors that would gather to party on Saturday night, build a big bonfire, get s**tfaced drunk, pass out, and I'd have to call the fire department before their fire burned my barn. One guy was thrilled when his 16-year-old daughter got pregnant "now I'll be a grandpa!"

Kingsport did have a good hospital and doctors. I had surgery for breast cancer while I was there and my care was exemplary as was my followup care.

We left when we finally unloaded the farm (house & 43 acres) on some people from Corpus Christi, TX, as the locals refused to believe it was worth what we paid for it. The day we left Fall Branch, it was hotter than it was in Live Oak, Florida, our first move after leaving Tennessee. That was July 28th, 2006, my birthday, and the happiest day of my life was seeing TN in my rearview mirror for the last time.

Taxes on the house (2000+ sf) and 43 acres were under $800 a year. Sales tax at that point was 9.5% and they charged it on everything including food and prescriptions.

We live in Ocala, FL, now. The hottest it got this year was about 97 in mid July. It's 79 now with lows in the low 60s. Traffic is horrible, but we have everything a person could need or want here. It does freeze occasionally here, but warms right up. Sales tax is currently 6% but they're trying like hades to get it up to 7%. No state income tax in Florida. My light bill runs $180 a month year around, but I'm running an 18 x 45 foot pool and a hot tub and I believe in staying warm in the winter. Property taxes on my home ($245k) are about $3000 a year.

The OP stated they hate humidity, FL has horrific humidity most of the year. That 97 degrees will feel like 107 degrees. It cracks me up when they say "it never gets over a 100 degrees", it doesn't have to. With the oppressive humidity it doesn't matter. It will like it is and it does.

She said high humidity makes her and her husband ill, FL is the last place to go if that is the case, it is BRUTAL 8 months out of the year.

Having in lived in FL I can tell you healthcare is very hit and miss, and more miss than hit.

As people age good healthcare needs to be considered. Many FL residents who are able get surgery done back in their home states. I was even warned by a doctor before heading to FL to be careful as doctors who lose their license to practice in their state, head to FL.

They also sell fireworks(even though there illegal, you just you want to scare birds and you're good to go), on the side of the road. And not just on the 4th of July, at Christmas and New Years as well.

FL has no state income tax, but homeowner's insurance is expensive, very high car insurance(you have to pay for the many uninsured FL drivers and have coverage up the wazoo at that is about 25% on the roads in FL), and property taxes are all high as our groceries.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:12 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
My hubby will be retiring in 3-4 yrs. and we currently own a farm in upstate NY. We both will have SS and a pension. (My pension is very small). We both have some medical issues but are relatively healthy. He's on BP meds but has had 2 back surgeries. I have fibromyalgia, but on no medications, and otherwise healthy. I would love to retire RV'ing FT but I know that is not an option for my hubby, so here's our problem.

I want to live cheaply so that we can start "living". There needs to be more to life than maintaining a farm. First, where. He doesn't like the South (especially now with SC flooding), but neither of us can take the cold and snow. (plus the expense, taxes, heating costs, etc) But also neither of us can take the heat and humidity of the Southern summers. We both, especially me, get physically sick.

I suggested being a "snow bird"- which he may do- but I don't know if we can support 2 places. So I suggested buying a truck and 5th-wheel- living in that FT. Living in it in the North about 9 months, then going south for the winter. He's a little on the leery side living in something that small and not having a "home". He suggested a single -, or double- wide in a park somewhere, and then have another someplace else. But where??? We know nothing about the parks.

Also- and this may sound strange- we don't know where we want to go. Neither of us has a "favorite" state. He says he likes the Northeast. But it's too expensive and too cold. The South- too hot. The Southwest- too hot and no water, West- to him- is another planet. Midwest too cold. Northwest- too expensive. I was thinking half way down to maybe a place like Salem or Blacksburg, Virginia, or Black Mountain NC. I know they can get cold and snow but not like NY, but he doesn't want to live in the "South". Also, my concern is that those areas may be too expensive for us, since -especially Va. can be very expensive.

We would want to live in an active town, that has a "real" town, not just a place with a bunch of strip malls or shopping areas. We want decent shopping and a good grocery/ health food store since we are both on special diets and I have multiple food allergies. We have dogs (currently 6 that are 150 lbs to 7 lbs, but only 2 are young), and 2 house cats.

Any ideas? I know we are looking for nirvana, but maybe we can get some inspiration and narrow things down. There is no family involved or to move near. I would like to hear from everyone whose done anything that has worked for them, and who has moved to the "greatest place on earth". We are active and want to see and do things, and meet new people.

Try Ohio. No where near as cold as Upstate NY. Four seasons. Inexpensive. Not terribly far from where you are. Many "active" towns.

People are open minded and not extremist politically or religiously. Accepting of new comers. Lots of arts, sports and world class medical care at the famed Cleveland Clinic.

Living here is so inexpensive that travel to warmer climates - especially Florida - is affordable for almost everyone.

Beautiful Autumns. I love early Winter, Spring, and Summer. Not horribly hot in Summer. You can buy a very nice two bedroom house in many areas for less that $100,000.

Lake Erie is way more vast that The Long Island Sound.

Easy to get many places by car or plane. Since living here for three years we have driven to Massachusetts, Vermont, Memphis, Nashville, Myrtle Beach, NYC, Charlotte NC, West Virginia and Chicago. I think I am missing some.

People are friendly towards NYers. Something that I didn't find in PA - our first move.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:04 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Try Ohio. No where near as cold as Upstate NY. Four seasons. Inexpensive. Not terribly far from where you are. Many "active" towns.

People are open minded and not extremist politically or religiously. Accepting of new comers. Lots of arts, sports and world class medical care at the famed Cleveland Clinic.

Living here is so inexpensive that travel to warmer climates - especially Florida - is affordable for almost everyone.

Beautiful Autumns. I love early Winter, Spring, and Summer. Not horribly hot in Summer. You can buy a very nice two bedroom house in many areas for less that $100,000.

Lake Erie is way more vast that The Long Island Sound.

Easy to get many places by car or plane. Since living here for three years we have driven to Massachusetts, Vermont, Memphis, Nashville, Myrtle Beach, NYC, Charlotte NC, West Virginia and Chicago. I think I am missing some.

People are friendly towards NYers. Something that I didn't find in PA - our first move.
Hey Sheena, that is a lot of good info on Ohio! Minerveh (from Wisteria's thread) likes it very much in Cleveland. Slowly but surely I'm building up a mental map of how it "lives" in Ohio. Thanks! Best, Jane

Old 10-11-2015, 12:17 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Quote:
He says he likes the Northeast. But it's too expensive and too cold. The South- too hot. The Southwest- too hot and no water, West- to him- is another planet. Midwest too cold. Northwest- too expensive.
Well there's your answer: just move to the remaining area!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:35 AM

885 posts, read 1,165,961 times
Thanks everyone! I like Fl but I don't think I can live there in the summer, plus it's so crowded. My mother lives there and pays more for everything ( and sometimes at LOT more) except property taxes. As they say; It's not your grandmothers Fl anymore.

We don't mind a little snow, and some chilly weather- I'm a big time knitter and need an excuse to use all those sweaters- it's just that we don't want 3-4 feet of snow at a time anymore, with the snow on the ground from Dec to April.

Yes we need some place with good medical care. Fl has the most unlicensed physicians in the whole country, and medical care can be bad there.

I know that I have a long list of wants/ needs. I just want info on what's out there so to speak, and then prioritize. I believe if you don't have all the info you need how can you make a decision on what is important to you.

I love the north: the NE and the PNW. Lived in Federal Way, Wa for 1 summer about 50 yrs ago. Can't afford it anymore. Both of my husbands (ex and current) have government jobs and there was no way to get a transfer, so we are here in NY. You need to be where there is a stable job nowadays.

However, there comes a time in your life when you need to change your way of thinking. We can't take the cold anymore, and I don't think I'll live long enough to take advantage of global warming. (ha-ha). I've always loved to visit the south and I love the Smokies.

I can understand why people down south are upset with northerners moving down there. Just think of the traffic caused by more people. Also when northerners (or mid-westerners) move to an area and it becomes popular, that drives up the cost of living, esp in housing. That usually drives out the locals who can no longer afford to live in their own town. I'd be resentful too.

But unfortunately, as you age you have trouble regulating body temperature and need the warmer climate, and then the issue of living on a fixed income. The problem isn't with someone like me, who wants a little house and then can afford to eat and shop in the town and buy local. We want to assimilate with the locals and be a part of the community. The problem are the wealthier people, usually retirees, who want the 400-500K houses in the gated communities on the golf course. Who wouldn't be resentful??

Anyway, I'm getting off subject. I want to thank everyone for the info. It's a lot to digest. Luckily we have time to mull things over.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I like Fl but I don't think I can live there in the summer, plus it's so crowded. My mother lives there and pays more for everything ( and sometimes at LOT more) except property taxes. As they say; It's not your grandmothers Fl anymore.

We don't mind a little snow, and some chilly weather- I'm a big time knitter and need an excuse to use all those sweaters- it's just that we don't want 3-4 feet of snow at a time anymore, with the snow on the ground from Dec to April.

Yes we need some place with good medical care. Fl has the most unlicensed physicians in the whole country, and medical care can be bad there.

I know that I have a long list of wants/ needs. I just want info on what's out there so to speak, and then prioritize. I believe if you don't have all the info you need how can you make a decision on what is important to you.

I love the north: the NE and the PNW. Lived in Federal Way, Wa for 1 summer about 50 yrs ago. Can't afford it anymore. Both of my husbands (ex and current) have government jobs and there was no way to get a transfer, so we are here in NY. You need to be where there is a stable job nowadays.

However, there comes a time in your life when you need to change your way of thinking. We can't take the cold anymore, and I don't think I'll live long enough to take advantage of global warming. (ha-ha). I've always loved to visit the south and I love the Smokies.

I can understand why people down south are upset with northerners moving down there. Just think of the traffic caused by more people. Also when northerners (or mid-westerners) move to an area and it becomes popular, that drives up the cost of living, esp in housing. That usually drives out the locals who can no longer afford to live in their own town. I'd be resentful too.

But unfortunately, as you age you have trouble regulating body temperature and need the warmer climate, and then the issue of living on a fixed income. The problem isn't with someone like me, who wants a little house and then can afford to eat and shop in the town and buy local. We want to assimilate with the locals and be a part of the community. The problem are the wealthier people, usually retirees, who want the 400-500K houses in the gated communities on the golf course. Who wouldn't be resentful??

Anyway, I'm getting off subject. I want to thank everyone for the info. It's a lot to digest. Luckily we have time to mull things over.

Well summer in FL starts in March. So when people say FL "summers" are hot, they're not starting in June and ending in September, FL has nice comfortable warm weather from Dec going into March.

First off, why be resentful of people who have more money than you do, no way to go through life.

Second, many "wealthy retirees" (the smart ones) downsize when they retire south. They realize the kids are gone so no need for a large 4 bedroom house.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:46 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Interesting that your mother pays more. I find that the cost of living is a lot LESS than in the north, mid-west or west. My monthly food bill is never over $100. Electricity and fuel is competitive or less. Perhaps her area (my condo is in the Tampa Bay area) is different, but I don't regret at all that I snowbird there.

Quote:
....But unfortunately, as you age you have trouble regulating body temperature and need the warmer climate, and then the issue of living on a fixed income. The problem isn't with someone like me, who wants a little house and then can afford to eat and shop in the town and buy local. We want to assimilate with the locals and be a part of the community. The problem are the wealthier people, usually retirees, who want the 400-500K houses in the gated communities on the golf course. Who wouldn't be resentful??

Have you actually CHECKED real estate prices in Florida. First of all, golf course communities in many cases are shutting down; golfing is not as desirable a location as it once was. Second of all, I know of many, many, many gated communities were $150K will get you a wonderful place, and even some where $60K are nice.

And where does the comment about resentment come in? I could care less if others have more than me (many do) or those that have less (not as many). I'm not jealous either way... why should I be? That is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement