Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 08:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The inhibiting factor in future shots is that each year the formula is recalculated based on what the CDC THINKS might be a variation in the strain of flu that might be more prevalent--since there can be several flu strains that develop and one more significant than others.

No one really knows WHAT might be in the vaccine to trigger a more severe reaction than the year before.

I know if I am allergic to something I am always allergic to it--peanuts, Codine, certain pollens--
but there is no real way to know if you MIGHT be allergic to what is in the new strain next year unti you take it...
and I don't mean general factors like "eggs"

I am not allergic to any medications--nor eggs--
but I had a very unwelcome reaction to this year's senior dose vaccine.

I just wonder how many other people did who have never had a reaction--
and I bet those numbers are not in any news story...
There are different strains of killed flu virus in the vaccine most years, sometimes the vax is the same for a couple years in a row. Other than that, the shots are exactly the same from year to year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Even if you don't care about yourself, and are shortsighted enough to think that the NEXT time you get the flu when you are nearly 10 years older it wont be worse (wishful thinking....)..... think about those around you. By having the flu, you expose your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, elderly, and the young to this infection as well for a long time. Could be days to 1-2 weeks of being infectious. It may hurt one of them even more than it hurts you.
Maybe.
BUT, they all got their shots, so they should NOT get the flu from anybody, right?
If the shot will not protect them, why bother getting it?
No, I did not get the shot.
No, I haven't had one for many years.
If I had the flu in years past, it was such a mild case that I didn't even notice it.
But then, I'm only slightly over 70, just a kid, I guess.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Maybe.
BUT, they all got their shots, so they should NOT get the flu from anybody, right?
If the shot will not protect them, why bother getting it?
No, I did not get the shot.
No, I haven't had one for many years.
If I had the flu in years past, it was such a mild case that I didn't even notice it.
But then, I'm only slightly over 70, just a kid, I guess.
No vaccine is 100%. If you can reduce your chances of getting the flu, why not do so?

As said above, you know when you have the flu.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Got a high dose senior shot (I am 67--not really elderly to my mind) at different pharmacy than normally use--I am in Florida right now--usually get my shot in DFW TX area.
Had sore area after initial injection.
Next day arm still sore and later that night after shower noticed I had large red, swollen area about 4 inches long and 4-5 inches wide--extending down from injection site and about half way around my arm...
Was raised/swollen, sore to the touch, and hot...looked inflamed.

I have had flu shots for past several years and have never had reaction like that before.
Had headache and felt generally a little off...
Called the CVS where I got the shot and spoke to pharmacist still there--store was almost ready to close.
He said that was just reaction to shot--
I should mark the diameter of the raised areas with ball point and note any additional swelling outside those lines.
IF that happened should go to the ER--also if there was indication of anaphylaxis--swelling in throat, difficulty breathing, etc...

None of that happened but the redness/swelling/hot persisted for at least two days...
it was sore for more than a week and there was itching under the skin even after the redness and puffyness went away...

I was concerned and I will think hard about getting a shot next year--
I don't know what the different was but my husband got his shot in TX area with no problems and my friend who always gets a shot too got hers w/o any issues...

Will report to my own doctor when I get back to TX so they can document the serial number of the vaccine used...
Maybe you got this?

FDA panel recommends Fluad, possibly the first U.S. boosted flu jab - FierceVaccines

If you received this, you should report it since it is new to the US market, and was associated with problems in Europe.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe you got this?

FDA panel recommends Fluad, possibly the first U.S. boosted flu jab - FierceVaccines

If you received this, you should report it since it is new to the US market, and was associated with problems in Europe.
Does not appear to be yet in use in the US.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:03 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I don't take any medicine, herbal supplement or vitamins my doctor hasn't prescribed. If my doctor told me to take the flu shot I would. So far, she hasn't mentioned it. I'm not over 65, however, just retired.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't take any medicine, herbal supplement or vitamins my doctor hasn't prescribed. If my doctor told me to take the flu shot I would. So far, she hasn't mentioned it. I'm not over 65, however, just retired.
That's too bad. The CDC recommends a flu vaccine for everyone over the age of 6 months who has no contraindications. The research shows that the recommendation of a health care provider is a good motivator.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:48 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's too bad. The CDC recommends a flu vaccine for everyone over the age of 6 months who has no contraindications. The research shows that the recommendation of a health care provider is a good motivator.
I don't take any medication I don't need to take, even aspirin. I prefer to exercise daily, maintain a healthy weight, and eat a healthy diet to maintain my health. Most people don't do this, however.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I don't take any medication I don't need to take, even aspirin. I prefer to exercise daily, maintain a healthy weight, and eat a healthy diet to maintain my health. Most people don't do this, however.
None of that will prevent the flu, either. That's why the CDC recommends it for everyone, including you saints who "exercise daily, maintain a healthy weight, and eat a healthy diet to maintain (your) health".

Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, those actions will do little to keep you from either catching or spreading the flu.

A healthy diet will improve cardiovascular fitness and help you control your blood pressure. It will do little to resist an infectious disease and I could probably make a list of athletes and particularly fit people who came down with the influenza and other infectious diseases.

This idea that leading a "healthy lifestyle" will keep you from catching an infectious disease is not well founded. There is little evidence to support it.

If you are interested, there are other actions besides getting a shot or taking medicine that you can take to help avoiding catching the flu. These should be used in addition to the flu shot though--not in place of it. These include:

1. Washing your hands in soap and water frequently.

2. Avoiding contact with sick people.

3. Staying home--if that is an option--during the worst of the flu season.

The number one way to prevent the flu though is to take the flu shot.

CDC Says “Take 3” Actions to Fight The Flu | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement