Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM

37,180 posts, read 41,370,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There are posters here who like "stories". Here are a few about pertussis:

https://www.soundsofpertussis.com/pertussis-videos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM

10,254 posts, read 6,344,851 times
[QUOTE=suzy_q2010;415 It is all about CHOICE. None of us are saying don't get whatever vaccinations you think is best for you. Do what is right for you. We only post on here to present a different view about what we ourselves are choosing that is right for US as Seniors. One size doesn't fit all, especially when it comes to freedom of medical choice for an individual. Some of us believe in the choice of an individual. To come on and say on a Retirement Forum that we are doing a disservice to the elderly, when ourselves ARE elderly, is absurd. That is your problem in thinking that the only people who refuse every single under the sun vaccinations are just parents of young children. Let this be a learning experience for YOU coming on a forum for Seniors pushing your same old tired BS.

We are all adults on here and deserve our rights to be treated as such.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:38 PM

37,180 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It is all about CHOICE. None of us are saying don't get whatever vaccinations you think is best for you. Do what is right for you. We only post on here to present a different view about what we ourselves are choosing that is right for US as Seniors. One size doesn't fit all, especially when it comes to freedom of medical choice for an individual. Some of us believe in the choice of an individual. To come on and say on a Retirement Forum that we are doing a disservice to the elderly, when ourselves ARE elderly, is absurd. That is your problem in thinking that the only people who refuse every single under the sun vaccinations are just parents of young children. Let this be a learning experience for YOU coming on a forum for Seniors pushing your same old tired BS.

We are all adults on here and deserve our rights to be treated as such.
It's not just about choice. It's about what your choices do to others.

I am a senior. I am retired. This is a good place to get the message to seniors and retired people to get flu shots and the Tdap.

I will be very happy if no one reading this thread ever has a daughter or daughter in law recording a video for Sounds of Pertussis.

By the way, if you have no medical contraindications to taking any vaccine, by refusing it you are doing a disservice not just to the elderly, but to everyone.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 AM

10,254 posts, read 6,344,851 times
People can get their own flu shots to protect themselves. Can't get the shot? You've never been on a plane and seen someone wearing a mask? They can do that if they are worried about catching a disease being around large crowds of strangers in public.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:34 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,526,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's not just about choice. It's about what your choices do to others.

I am a senior. I am retired. This is a good place to get the message to seniors and retired people to get flu shots and the Tdap.

I will be very happy if no one reading this thread ever has a daughter or daughter in law recording a video for Sounds of Pertussis.

By the way, if you have no medical contraindications to taking any vaccine, by refusing it you are doing a disservice not just to the elderly, but to everyone.
Agreed. People who argue about "freedom of choice" ignore or don't know about the concept of community/herd immunity. Once fewer than X% of people are immunized - many people in the population become vulnerable to a disease. Including people who cannot tolerate vaccinations for various health reasons. Infants - pregnant women - immunocompromised people.

Community Immunity ("Herd Immunity") | Vaccines.gov

As for wearing a mask - having traveled to Japan and other places where it is considered polite to wear a mask when one has a cold or similar - I think it's a good idea. But it's not always practical. For example - when you have to talk (clearly).

BTW - I didn't know about the whooping cough thing until last year. I thought I was "good for life" because of childhood shots. Didn't realize that the vaccination immunity wears out when you get older.

Apart from the "civics" aspect of the thing - there are personal practical aspects. Who's going to take care of me/my husband if we get the flu? What would happen if we got whooping cough? I'm not a big fan of getting sick/going to hospitals. Who is?

And I will reiterate that - IMO - many people who diss vaccinations either don't know or don't remember the diseases they were designed to eradicate. That's why the Sounds of Pertussis is good. I often question whether people who diss the flu vaccine have actually ever had the flu (many people confuse bad colds with the flu - they're not the same thing at all). And - when it comes to pneumonia - remember what it used to be called? "The old man's friend". Because it killed old people pretty quickly - with little pain. Now some seniors who are already in pretty bad shape might welcome a visit from this "friend". But I doubt there are (m)any people here in that category.

Finally - people who diss vaccinations don't remember history. The leading cause of death in the US in 1900 was infectious diseases:

Leading Causes Of Death In 1900 And Today - Business Insider

And life expectancy at birth was < 50 - in large part because of these infectious diseases. Does anyone really want to turn the clock back to 1900? Robyn

Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

And I will reiterate that - IMO - many people who diss vaccinations either don't know or don't remember the diseases they were designed to eradicate. That's why the Sounds of Pertussis is good. I often question whether people who diss the flu vaccine have actually ever had the flu (many people confuse bad colds with the flu - they're not the same thing at all). And - when it comes to pneumonia - remember what it used to be called? "The old man's friend". Because it killed old people pretty quickly - with little pain. Now some seniors who are already in pretty bad shape might welcome a visit from this "friend". But I doubt there are (m)any people here in that category.

Finally - people who diss vaccinations don't remember history. The leading cause of death in the US in 1900 was infectious diseases:

Leading Causes Of Death In 1900 And Today - Business Insider

And life expectancy at birth was < 50 - in large part because of these infectious diseases. Does anyone really want to turn the clock back to 1900? Robyn

I remember my grandfather telling me how bad the Spanish Flu outbreaks were in 1918 in most US cities. In some cities, ALL public gatherings were banned or discouraged for months. There were a couple of cities where they recruited members of the clergy to bury thousands of bodies because no one else would.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 AM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
That is pathetic and many drug store employees were complaining about that last year. Not meeting their quotas. You go into a drug store to buy a bottle of shampoo. Why get harassed by the check out clerk pushing a flu shot on you to meet her quota when all you wanted want was a bottle of shampoo?

Get your shampoo somewhere else and avoid the hassle entirely.
No one at a pharmacy has ever said anything to me. There are signs all over the building--outside, inside, at the register--but not a peep from the employees.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No one at a pharmacy has ever said anything to me. There are signs all over the building--outside, inside, at the register--but not a peep from the employees.
Same here. I was just at the grocery store yesterday, and they made an announcement; that was it.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,092,325 times
The folks at our pharmacy are always saying something. We are thankful and appreciative. Do any of you remind friends and family?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The folks at our pharmacy are always saying something. We are thankful and appreciative. Do any of you remind friends and family?
I sure do, risking getting my head bit off from my daughter! I finally said "don't wait *too* long".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement