Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I had plenty of exposure to the flu in the years of the failed vaccine when I worked in a place with hundreds of employees and where people were always sick - so, for me, I don't ascribe to the theory of herd immunity as it relates to the flu. I described earlier what works for me. Fwiw, my sister a retired RN - and the docs she worked with - would not get the flu shot. I don't remember their reasons, anymore, but she (and docs) were pretty adamant about it. Later on hospital system she worked for strongly 'encouraged' (required?) staff be innoculated, but allowed her a medical waiver.
Herd immunity would be achievable for influenza with a well matched vaccine if enough people would take it.

The majority of doctors and nurses - over 80% - take the flu vaccine. Most docs cannot afford to be out of work for two weeks with flu. Many hospitals mandate vaccination for staff, to protect the staff themselves and patients. Also, if hospital staff are hard hit by flu, hospitals may have to stop admitting patients because there are not enough people to take care of them.

Studies in nursing homes have shown that vaccinating staff protects patients and reduces deaths of residents.

Unless a nurse or doctor has a medical contraindication to vaccination, I would not want to be his patient. I would see such refusal as an indication of poor education and a deficient knowledge base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
FYI, most doctors and nurses are required by the hospital to take the flu shot. My wife just retire from nursing in a hospital, that's how I know. They were all required to take it. There are some nurses I've seen that didn't take it. I know this because when you go there, the ones who didn't take the flu shot are required to wear a mask.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I had plenty of exposure to the flu in the years of the failed vaccine when I worked in a place with hundreds of employees and where people were always sick - so, for me, I don't ascribe to the theory of herd immunity as it relates to the flu. I described earlier what works for me. Fwiw, my sister a retired RN - and the docs she worked with - would not get the flu shot. I don't remember their reasons, anymore, but she (and docs) were pretty adamant about it. Later on hospital system she worked for strongly 'encouraged' (required?) staff be innoculated, but allowed her a medical waiver.
Ariadne, my experience is the opposite of yours. I have taken the flu shot (or mist) for about twenty consecutive years and avoided the flu, except for last year when the vaccine was ineffective. I remember well the symptoms I used to get before that when I caught the flu. It was always a nasty sore throat, fever, and chills. I wanted to do nothing, but lay in bed or shower repeatedly to deal with those chills. If nothing else, the shot keeps me active and working. Its fewer days off work for me and more income.

Influenza should not be minimized. The Great Flu of 1918 killed over 600,000 Americans in a country which a much smaller population that we have today. One day, another strain of flu that has similar potency will strike.

It really concerns me when someone appears on the Retirement Forum and tries to tell elderly people they don't need a flu shot. The elderly are the most vulnerable population when it comes to getting the flu and have the highest number of deaths because of it. The vaccine works and ordinarily has about a 60% efficacy rate. Its not higher because there are many strains of the flu and only the major ones can be covered. That's one heck of a lot of influenza that can be prevented.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It really concerns me when someone appears on the Retirement Forum and tries to tell elderly people they don't need a flu shot. The elderly are the most vulnerable population when it comes to getting the flu and have the highest number of deaths because of it. The vaccine works and ordinarily has about a 60% efficacy rate. Its not higher because there are many strains of the flu and only the major ones can be covered. That's one heck of a lot of influenza that can be prevented.
Nicely said, thank you.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Ariadne, my experience is the opposite of yours. I have taken the flu shot (or mist) for about twenty consecutive years and avoided the flu, except for last year when the vaccine was ineffective. I remember well the symptoms I used to get before that when I caught the flu. It was always a nasty sore throat, fever, and chills. I wanted to do nothing, but lay in bed or shower repeatedly to deal with those chills. If nothing else, the shot keeps me active and working. Its fewer days off work for me and more income.
One word - Sambucol. Get it and try it at first symptom. You will be surprised.

Quote:
Influenza should not be minimized. The Great Flu of 1918 killed over 600,000 Americans in a country which a much smaller population that we have today. One day, another strain of flu that has similar potency will strike.

In the event this comment is directed at me, I will state for the record, I am well aware how lethal the flu can be for the weak, vulnerable, and immune-compromised. I did not say and it was never my intention to say elderly should not get flu shot. Most 'elderly' and nonelderly do not have my good health or immune system. I don't take any medication, either, but I am not about to tell someone else they shouldn't. I only recounted my own personal experience thus far. All I know is what works for me - at this time. I also know I may be unusual - and that things can change. Whether or not one chooses the flu shot is a not a one-size-fits-all decision.

Mine was anecdotal commentary nothing more.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-09-2016 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement