Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Consider South Carolina which has a reputation for low taxes and terrible roads. Hmmmmm any truth to that and if so is there a correlation?
At least they buy some signs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:19 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given what's going on some 55+, gated golf course communities here, I've already crossed off the idea of living in a golf club community. I didn't realize that the interest in golf in waning, and with rising water prices, few golfers paying dues, here in Las Vegas, these communities keep raising the HOA's fees, just to keep the golf course watered.

And in one townhouse community, which doesn't own the golf course, a developer has bought it up, letting the grass go unwatered, as he plans to replace the golf course with homes. In a settlement, he's planning on giving the HOA half the land, but to keep it watered translates to a hike in the HOA fees.

I'm planning on buying an older 60's/70's in a non-HOA townhouse community, and I'm sure the pipes, after all these years, are questionable, so I plan on putting in new pipes, needed or unneeded, just for peace of mind. And let's hope the pipes that connect to the pipes in the street aren't ready to fall apart.
Be careful of those pipes running to the street. My mom's 1960 home cost her $40,000 just for that in California, 5 years ago.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Living the dream here in The Land of $4 Toast ...

Supreme irony ... if you are not in a Cupertino, a Sunnyvale, a Mountain View, Menlo Park or a Redwood City (i.e. a place that has big name business tax payers) ... the situation is actually not as bad as but heading in the direction of Detroit.

In The Hillbilly's jurisdiction, the roads are destroying our suspensions, the water system leaks like a sieve, the sewers are caving in and the electrical grid barely functions (anyone without surge protection is SOL).

So even with Prop 13, all the adders make it as if Prop 13 does not even exist (Ultrarunner has commented extensively on these types of scenarios).

It is not a question of if but when the retirement or pre-retirement relo happens.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There's a lot to be said for small towns and rural. Much less infrastructure to be maintained.

Lack of water is going to be a huge issue coming up in the next few decades. If it were me, I'd move somewhere that has abundant natural water.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have a water supply that not only comes from a well, but I have a water windmill that pumps it without the need for electricity. Water windmills have no electrical problems because theres no electricity. Maintainence is easy. A decent welding shop can repair or fabricate any needed parts.

I buy my own books and have over 16,000 in my library. I have access to a large library at a private museum as well. I don't need government libraries.

My primary lighting is kerosene. I have a wood-fired cook stove as well as a parlor stove. I have a kerosene stove as well. I have LP gas for primary heat, but I can live without it if necessary.

I live in a state where people are stingy on taxes and demand that government be the servant and not the master. Consequently, roads are excellent.

Urban race war, suitcase nukes, and similar events that can affect city dwellers won't destroy my life. There may be disruptions of delveries so I have adequate supplies of food and prescription drugs for my animals and me. Although I live in an area that has extraordinarily low crime I have adequate arms for defense.

I have no faith in the American government so I simply don't rely on it.

I'd like to have a vehicle or two that could run on drip gas collected at wellheads that needs no refining. Octane rating is only 50-55 so an engine compression ratio of about 1:4.5 is maximum. I wish that I could buy a new 1928 1/4 ton GM pickup truck as well as a coupe of the same time period. I'll probably buy one made at that time which means it won't be as reliable (valve jobs at 15k miles) as modern cars and trucks, but it will get me to town. Cars of that era had electric starters, but they also had manual cranks just in case.

Rely on yourself, move to a safe area, and shut out the modern world as much as possible. Remember that only you care about yourself.
Look into a Model A or Model T and you should be fine... they also will run on Kero

A number of my friends have bought small family farms as their fallback... mostly in Oregon and Northern CA... ample water, orchards, game, wood for heat/cooking... etc.

Basically, they are not concerned about infrastructure other than medical... and these guys are all Doctors...

Old 10-13-2015, 01:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As you already know, political candidates/officials aren't going to get elected by talking about infrastructure.
It's your job to make it an issue.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Yes, the small city where I plan to retire is a popular retirement and tourist destination and is growing rapidly. There are ongoing complaints from citizens that congestion and traffic is increasing. More or larger roads are needed. There is also concern over the need to expand the sewer and water system and over the water supply give the western drought. Probably more infrastructure concerns exist that I am not aware of. I'll definitely rent for a year before making a final decision whether this is where I want to retire.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Our future community is not rural, but the residents are of a rural mindset. They have rejected public water and sewer for decades.

There was an attempted home invasion one street over from our place. The Vietnam vet who lived there stared the bad guys down with two shotguns in hand. They split.

Yeehaw, that's my kind of neighbor! I can't wait to shake his hand.

New to us will be garbage collection and recycling. No shoveling or plowing. No potholes. No state income tax. Huge growing season. Amenities ten minutes away. Permit to carry is a few classes. Booze at the grocery store.

Same old to us will be well water, big workshop, a generator, plenty of gas, and at least six months of stash on hand.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Be careful of those pipes running to the street. My mom's 1960 home cost her $40,000 just for that in California, 5 years ago.
Housing cost and maintenance down the road is something many retirees don't plan for. What works for income at 62 absent sizable savings could fail when a HVAC, Roof, yard maintenance, siding etc etc needs work. Even a major car repair.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:28 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
There is more to infrastructure than paved roads, water supply, sewer, electricity, trash pickup, mail delivery, and phone/cable/cellular reception.

What happens if you have a health emergency and dial 911? I live somewhere that they'll be at my house in less than 5 minutes and at a decent regional hospital a few minutes after that. That local hospital can, for example, do stroke assessment and treatment where you ideally need to get the emergency CT scan and then the needle within 60 minutes. If it's more than that hospital can handle, it's a sub-hour ambulance ride or 15 minute Medflight helicopter ride to world class care in Boston. For more routine health care needs that are beyond the capabilities of the local health care infrastructure, there is daily shuttle van service to those same world class hospitals in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement