Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In Santa Barbara you can keep a boat free off the coast. No slip rental although you need to have a small skiff or something to get you from the boat to the dock.
Mooring is quasi-legal nearly everywhere. I say "quasi" and "nearly" because there are some places where the local residents or authorities police it but their legal right to is questionable; others it is not. There are some established mooring fields that cost money. There are some anchorages that get treated like mooring fields. Anyway, you can search for mooring and your location and find out where it's done, what places charge and where you might get hassled even though it appears it should be legal (lots of places fall into that last category).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 02:19 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I kept a Pearson at the Alameda Marina and there were a few live aboards... all nice folks and kept an eye on things.

I could see how it would work... and it is always nice being around the water!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:36 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Around here your slip rent is based on the size of the boat. A co-worker pays $300 a month for his slip. He has a 30 foot boat. He was paying an additional $180 to live aboard, so $480 a month rent...
My sloop, (a Najade 900), was moored Ventura Isle Marina and the slip/liveaboard fee was pretty close to what you quote. That was fifteen or so years ago, to the fees have remained fairly constant since then.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:55 PM

773 posts, read 785,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What happens when you're 80 and you physically can't go up and down steps so you can't get on or off the boat?
You walk the plank, Matey!

Old 10-14-2015, 05:10 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,643 times
I have always heard a boat is a hole in the water you throw $20 bills into...

My wife's Aunt and Uncle kept their house (paid off), and bought a 40 foot sail boat, and from about age 60 until about 4 years ago (very late 70's or very early 80's) left CT in the fall, sailed and lived on the boat in the Bahamas until spring, then sailed back to CT and spent the summer in their home.

They loved it, but eventually age caught up with them (to ss20ts's point), and they sold the boat. I know they have no regrets and still speak very fondly of their boating years, but 80 on a boat is VERY different than 60 on a boat.

And for you music enthusiasts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4evzpIVnMVs

Old 10-14-2015, 05:23 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Home repairs are far easier to deal with than boat breakdowns and repairs.

Actually, no. You can call a repair guy just as you would at home. Also, boat systems are very simple. (EX: Fix your home furnace = $1,000s. On a boat, buy a new $ 49.00 space heater.)

Cleaning out a boat's human waste would get very old very quickly doing it on a regular basis.

You don't scoop it into a bucket. It's a sealed system with a deck fill and a boat comes by and pumps out the holding tank without you even needing to be there.

What happens when you're 80 and you physically can't go up and down steps so you can't get on or off the boat? What happens if you end up needing major medical help? What if you're on chemo and you need to go to a facility 1000 miles away? What do you do with the boat and how do you get there?

The answers to this are the same if you live in a house or apartment.

How do you get your mail?

P.O. Box

Can you afford marina and docking fees forever? What about the cost of boat fuel? Can you cook on your boat? Can you sleep on your boat? Not is there a bed, but can you get really good sleep for weeks/months?

Docking fees = RENT. The apartments which look down on my $ 526/mo slip pay over $ 3,000 rent. Also, you will never sleep as well as you can on a boat with the gentle movement. I have slept through several earthquakes.

What if you're stuck somewhere and a major storm is coming in and your boat is toast? Where will you live then? Hotel? How long can you afford that?

I lived in a marina which I would suggest. Living on a mooring is a whole different deal and is very challenging.

There's a lot of what if's and can you affords.
I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about living aboard.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My sloop, (a Najade 900), was moored Ventura Isle Marina and the slip/liveaboard fee was pretty close to what you quote. That was fifteen or so years ago, to the fees have remained fairly constant since then.
I was kind of amazed at how little he pays.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
You walk the plank, Matey!
LOL Does Johnny Depp show up for this adventure?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about living aboard.
If you're out in the open seas, do you wait for AAA to come tow you back to shore?? I grew up with a boat and when it broke down in the river, it was a MAJOR PITA. And we didn't even live on that thing.....thank god!

Boats have engines and houses don't....so yeah furnace repairs could be a thousand bucks, but a new engine is far more than a thousand bucks.

Did I say anything about scooping out waste? No, I didn't. You have to plan ahead to get the waste emptied.

If you live in a house or an apartment, you can live in a one story home or the first floor apartment. And you can live 100% step free. I know because I built a house that had zero steps....not a single one....not even to get inside.

Docking fees aren't the same everywhere. There's nothing for rent that's $3K a month where I live....well there is, but they're mansions on a lake that vacation rentals. They're not apartments...and there's only a couple of these.

I have never been able to sleep on a boat. That gentle rocking bothers me tremendously.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 PM

773 posts, read 785,674 times
One thing I know is if you have been bitten by the sailing bug, there is no cure. I remember back in the early 70's I got a job working for a friend of my dad's in his downtown office. It was a part-time job while going to college.

I worked in the back room doing mailings and other menial jobs. My dad's friend, the owner of a downtown Chicago advertising agency, was a very hard-working guy but as soon as the sailing season approached all I saw him do was boat stuff. He owned a 1936 Alden 44, the first sailboat I ever stepped on. It was gorgeous! And a two-time Chicago-Mac winner in 1936-7. He was so proud of that boat.

This successful, hard-working man absolutely melted when talking about his boat. And he was under her spell. I remember my dad worrying about his buddy losing his business, though he never did. But I understand the condition. I absolutely come alive when I step on a sailboat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement