Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I can remember turning away from what was expected of me in the fifth grade. Not so much a rebel as much as my values and interests didn't mesh well with what was then "the Man" or my peers. I was just a nonconformist. I could see how things seemed out of synch with what the official story line was. Some of my peers caught up with me about 8 -10 years later. I haven't changed much 60 years on.
Wow, this reminded me of when I was in grade school. I think I was a born rebel.

In kindergarten the nun was teaching us how to write numerals. When it came to '5' she said to start with a straight line down, then make the curved part, and finish up with the horizontal line, "the hat" as she called it. Well, I didn't see the point in making two separate strokes so I just started with the horizontal line, then the vertical, then the curve. She caught me! hell to pay..lol (I still write 5 my way)

In first grade we were learning how to print words. I had been practicing cursive over the summer, and instead of printing the word 'cat' I wrote it out. I was hell-bound for sure! (it didn't help that I'm left-handed, either..gulp)

As I got older, probably in sixth or seventh grade, I started to really question the things we were being taught in religion class. For instance, I voiced my opinion that Judas was just following god's will, and should not be seen as a bad person. That was in the late 50s, and it's funny; today there is a supposed Gospel of Judas, wherein he says he was doing what Jesus wanted.

As I was growing up I decided I wanted to be a garbage man. I loved the idea of holding onto the back of the truck and having a ride! Alas, I eventually realized that a female was not allowed to be a garbage man.

So, I guess I've always been a Rebel, or maybe a Contrary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:17 AM

679 posts, read 811,609 times
Born a rebel, still a rebel. Just smarter about it these days...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:07 AM

126 posts, read 161,684 times
Still in my rebel phase at 60. Somebody's got to fight the Galactic Empire!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a rebel. Some might just say I was ahead of my time.
I guess my "rebel," years were after our divorce......holy cow, the guys were so charming..........and now...I am glad I fell into the cookie jar. Did get a few crumbs along the way............but; now thinking back.....great times. Why I remember..........nah, another time perhaps. lol

Last edited by mollygee; 12-18-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 02:06 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Rebel? Hmmm. Probably not. I was always focused on finding ways to make a buck. I had to learn how to take care of myself at a young age so I didn't have time to be anything but resourceful and responsible. I went through this very brief biker chick phase but I soon realized that these people were pretty much a bunch of idiots and I was on my way. It's hard to look at life through rebel eyes when you look at life through eyes with serious, bottom line glasses.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
I was very shy. I was also very creative and had a great imagination. I didn't show most of it being shy since I never felt like I fit in. Then when I got into programming, I felt totally at home among people I could relate to since they thought like me.

Then my roomate/friend and I decided to try out this science fiction convention. I'd gone to one years ago when I was sick, the second ever Star Trek convention, and had loved it, and was ready to enjoy. This one was odd, being at the hotel connected to Disneyland. They said no swords with costumes but you could buy one at Disneyland and walk around anywhere you wanted. They closed up the room for the last days event so we gathered in the lobby IN costume.

She was okay with it. I had found home. She also went with me to the Worldcon that year, in Denver. It was an awesome experience, and she enjoyed it but not much the convention. I knew even more I'd found home and met a bunch of people who lived where I did.

I started going to local conventions. I started making hall costumes. I discovered filking (science fiction themed folk music). The people who mattered in life since all came from it since I found people like me, who didn't think I was wierd.

I moved from the area, since it was too expensive and for other reasons, but miss them and the conventions. But I am still a Fan before anything else. I see the world differently. I see worlds we can make for ourselves. I see the mass of how things are from a different mirror.

I've always been connected with nature, and discovered that others felt the connection and celebrated it like the Old Ones did. I don't currently know anyone Wiccan, but that's okay. I find what I need in pagan faith. If others don't then I am joyous for them if they have found their true path.

Way back when I moved out of home and started living beyond what I had been raised I was just a baby. I don't know if you'd call it rebellion or if I'd be a rebel, but yes, I DO march to a different drummer and make no apologies for it, but will be glad for you if you have found yours. Just do NOT say yours is the true one or the better one because I will dispute your claim. We each have our own path and none is better or more true than the others.

I feel much more peaceful in life since I do feel that I have found and defined myself, and find it terribly sad for those too afraid to see beyond the curtain.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
Born a rebel, still a rebel. Just smarter about it these days...
How so? Just tiptoeing around that which is objectionable?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Never was a rebel in my youth. Worked hard, paid my bills, I was honest how I dealt with people, stayed sober, faithful to my wife, went to church, followed what the New Testament teaches, paid my taxes, didn't get into a lot of debt. I'm still that way. I reject materialism and the constant collection of more. As we get close to retirement, we're getting rid of stuff and planning life with less. I guess over time I've become a rebel.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
I was always a rebel. When I was four, my mother would tell me not to touch the TV and I'd turn around and slap it in front of her. I was raised in the tradition of '60s protests, Vietnam, and civil rights, and was inspired by so many of the musicians who wanted change: Woody Guthrie; Joan Baez; Pete Seeger; Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc. I've challenged tradition, religion, and established culture all my life. Today, I still stick to my ideals and haven't ever backed down, even when it's made my life incredibly difficult.

When you're a born rebel, I think the body dies before the rebel in it does.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:20 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,151 times
My rebel phase was drinking 2 liters of Dr.Pepper and 2 liters of sweet tea a day.I quit cold turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement