Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,833 times

Advertisements

I don't miss working. On the contrary, I have many days when I think, "I'm glad I'm out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 03:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I've been retired for two months and have not missed work one single second. In fact, I have nightmares that I am not retired and have to go back to work!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:19 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Although I've BEEN in the position of hating my job and working life so much I'd have gnawed my right arm off to get out of there, I quit those jobs and found a job and workplace I like, so I'm not there now although my retirement is also approaching, so I totally understand your apprehension at the prospect. It CAN be anxiety-inducing if you're not in the position of seeing any alternative to that life as an improvement. Unfortunately, so many people ARE absolutely miserable in their working lives that it's hard to find anyone to commiserate with that downside of retirement. But for what it's worth, I feel ya...

Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
Cherished work mates? Do that many people actually like their coworkers?

If I were to retire tomorrow, I wouldn't miss any of my coworkers. I'd be thrilled to not have to deal with them anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I actually do miss them. While working together, we developed deep respect for each other. As they too retire, we keep in touch.

Perhaps it is because we have so much in common. We are all well educated engineers who share common problems and we're good at working those out. The too common generalization that engineers are all self-absorbed loners is just wrong.

I still meet regularly with them for coffee, lunch or beers. I guess I'm just a lucky guy.
I'm with you, Vision67. I never had it so good as the time I spent in the Air National Guard. They really were the greatest bunch of people to work with. Every week there is a retiree lunch get together for the flyers and those who maintained our aircraft. And once a month there is a retiree dinner with the people who served all over the base. Sadly, our base was closed in 2011 and everyone was moved to the nearby Air Force base. And in the past year our C-130 fleet was disbursed to other units or the boneyard. But our lunches and dinners will go on for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
One insight that I've attained by reading posts on C-D is that most people apparently either just tolerate or actually hate their jobs.

I can't imagine doing something that I hated doing for 40 years just to earn a paycheck.

Perhaps that explains the high levels of anger that some people seem to retain.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:27 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Well to update, I "retired" for 5 months and then went back to work as a Consultant for 15 months and "retire" again in 4 weeks....hopefully this tine for good.

I decided to go back to work to provide money for son's business and the finance house for daughter....don't regret it.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Quote:

One insight that I've attained by reading posts on C-D is that most people apparently either just tolerate or actually hate their jobs.

I can't imagine doing something that I hated doing for 40 years just to earn a paycheck.

I just wanted to mention that even though I have not missed work for even a second, that does not mean that I hated, disliked, or just tolerated my work.

I enjoyed the intellectual challenge of my work, seeking knowledge, research. And the satisfaction of completing useful tasks.

Just because one enjoys retirement and was glad to stop working, it does not automatically equate to having disliked one's work.

Sometimes too, it is the management or some co-workers who made working not as pleasant as it could be. And sometimes the changes in one's profession.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:

Agree; I think it's sad that so many are just barely hanging on until they can retire or the weekend arrives; what a way to go through life! I've been advised to enjoy life by retiring early. I can enjoy life just fine during my time off while I'm still working and don't feel like killing myself every minute I'm at work, either. Maybe some need to make better use of their downtime during their off-hours.

Or maybe it's become unfashionable to be content on the job or something because the discontent seems disproportionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement