Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I retired 11 days ago and don't miss work. I will probably miss some people and be glad to not have to deal with others. The paycheck is replaced with a pension and SS, so that's a wash.

Being free from having to do things and having to go somewhere is wonderful!

Let's see how you feel after 11 weeks ,11 months , 11 years . Nothing to do and no where to go can get to be a drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:55 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Let's see how you feel after 11 weeks ,11 months , 11 years . Nothing to do and no where to go can get to be a drag.
See this is what worries me. My Dad retired at age 58 and lived 30 more years. I thought he was a workaholic but he seemed to enjoy retirement.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I feel sorry for you, if that is how you view (or are experiencing) retirement. All of my retired friends have things to do and places to go. Today, I have a music lesson at Noon and then an orientation at a local health club that I just joined. If I didn't have those two midday events I would be skiing. After I get over the Holidays, I plan to expand on my hobbies.

I plan to play at my church's midweek service. Volunteer with the National Forest Service. Join a local retiree club and my list will go on and on in time. Retirement is what you make of it.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:58 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I was "retired" in my mid-50s and I found that I mostly missed the social environment of working with very smart people.

So I returned to work at age 61 and loved every minute.

Now at 66, I'm again retired but now I make an effort to stay connected. Luckily, most of my friends are now retired so we have frequent meetings.

I don't think people value you less if you don't work. But some get jealous.

I always thought it was ironic that those who want to retire can't afford it, but those that can afford it don't want to retire.
tend to agree with Vision. I retired at 63.5 and do miss the interaction and such with my work friends. But I love the freedom I have now in my day to day life.

Retiring in my 50s would have been too early. 63 was about right for me. I spent the first 3 months scouring my house and cleaning out everything I could. Then I traveled on dream vacations and to visit family. Now I am at loose ends and expect I will enroll in the local university for single classes.

You can only know your own circumstances as to whether retiring at mid 50s is right for you.

Good luck

Old 12-22-2015, 09:29 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Two different versions:

a. My dad retired at 58 and loved every minute of it. Spent his time doing the things he loved and wished he'd had time to do while working. Gardening, fishing, traveling.

b. My FIL is a workaholic. Retired at 64 and promptly got another job. Worked there several years and then "retired" and found another job. He's now on his third or forth post retirement job. Instead of being retired, he works as many or more hours as before. It's hard to get him to even take a few days off to see his grandchildren. Does he need the money? Heck no. He is the person who on his death bed WILL say "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

I'm fast approaching the age my dad was when he retired and wish I could do as him. But I'm afraid the economy killed a big chunk of my retirement and I will have to work longer until I drop.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:45 AM

812 posts, read 794,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So I plan to retire mañana still in my 50's but I am wondering if I will miss working. Making social connections not through work? Do people value you less if you don't work? What has been others experience?

For context, I've been working as a Consultant for an Engineering company and have worked all over the world and I don't know what a 40 hour work week is.
Congratulations!

I will be doing that in a few years too, God willing. I'm not worried at all about missing my job, but I can understand that some people are. It sounds to me like you won't really know until you are retired for a while. The nice thing is, if you miss the social connections, there are plenty of things you can do about that, like volunteering or even taking on some part time work.

My job isn't bad, but I can't wait for the freedom to work on the things I want, when and if I want. I also won't miss the "politics" and the terrible commute. If I don't get enough social interaction, I plan on getting involved in something I care about like an animal shelter or nature center.

I wish you happiness in your retirement and will be interested in hearing about your new experiences.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 AM

201 posts, read 237,528 times
Sounds like you are too busy working to have any hobbies. But one part of your work you should be happy to get rid of - air travel. It's getting to be too much of a hassle. I don't even want to get on a plane to go on a vacation.
There must be some activity that you always wanted to do but work got in the way .... now's the time to do it.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thanks, I'm leaving without any reservations and look forward to the new adventure.

Why don't you become a teacher and take advantage of those short hours, long vacations and golden perks you've talked about? It'll keep you busy for a couple hours a day anyway. After all the curriculum is done for you.

For the record, I retired, officially, July 1 although I was off much of last year on extended sick leave.

I don't miss one single thing about it. I thought I'd miss the kids but, surprisingly, don't. I do continue to teach Hunter Safety as a volunteer, to both adults and younger.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:07 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
................... Retirement is what you make of it.
Ain't that the truth!!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why don't you become a teacher and take advantage of those short hours, long vacations and golden perks you've talked about? It'll keep you busy for a couple hours a day anyway. After all the curriculum is done for you.

For the record, I retired, officially, July 1 although I was off much of last year on extended sick leave.

I don't miss one single thing about it. I thought I'd miss the kids but, surprisingly, don't. I do continue to teach Hunter Safety as a volunteer, to both adults and younger.

I never desired to be a teacher (partially because of the low pay and I won't mention the rest) and I did say that teaching is not an easy job....but not many teachers work 60-80 hours a week all year in multiple countries (many dangerous) like I've been doing...currently I work at a mine site in Peru and get picked up at 454 in the morning and get back to my apartment at 1830 for 6 days/wk. To me, yes teaching is short hours, long vacations, and golden perks...do you not think so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement