Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
^^^^^^^^^ me, too. I grew up with Merry Christmas. Why do I need to change it?
I decided to change when I looked around my neighborhood and saw families that probably didn't share the same background as me, probably first or second gen immigrants from the middle east and asia.
Not knowing their religious beliefs it just seems kinder to wish them a happy holiday season and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I always say Merry Christmas. I think you should use the greeting for the holiday that YOU like to celebrate. I love it when someone says to me Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukkah. It shows that the other someone is wanting the best for me, given their personal perspective. Happy holidays? It's a cop out. If you are proud of your celebration, shout it out. If you are atheist and purposely don't celebrate any of the typical holidays, then take your pick, or say happy holidays just for form's sake.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
As many have mentioned here, there are many religions, backgrounds living here. And I do respect them all and welcome their friendship.

Just as I am not asking them to change, I am not going to change for them.

I am one of the many who is really sick of the so-called political correctness. How did we get like this? Can't we stand up for who and what we are and be proud of it?

That phrase that Rodney King said..... "Can't we just all get along?" is appropriate.

I also know there are some here who do not wish us well and aim to harm us. I am not talking about them.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:29 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
You can wish me Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or Merry Festivus I will accept it as wishing me well on the holiday season. I wish people Happy Holidays because I really wish that for them.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Christmas means something different to everyone. No one should be offended that someone wishes them a happy sort of day. I think MERRY CHRISTMAS is making a comeback this year. People in stores and everywhere (and it's usually pretty pc around here) are back to saying Merry Christmas, it seems. Maybe they got sick of the bland, Happy Holidays.

So MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
^^^^^^^^^^ MERRY CHRISTMAS to you, too!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:39 AM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
It'll always be Merry Christmas to me.

To those who worry about offending others, do you avoid saying Happy Thanksgiving or Happy Independence Day? For those of different cultures and origins, those days don't mean anything to them.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am so glad we live in an area where people are not afraid to say Merry Christmas.

Same here. It's what I hear the most all day.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am so glad we live in an area where people are not afraid to say Merry Christmas.
There are many holidays at the year's end in addition to Christmas. So you're ignoring all the people who celebrate those. I've met many people who are as Christmas-centric as you are and I have yet to meet one who is "afraid" to say "Merry Christmas." In fact, many of them are insufferable about it. I see a War on People Who Don't Celebrate Christmas much more clearly than I see a War on Christmas.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I don't know anyone that doesn't celebrate Christmas, in the commercial (Santa Claus/present) way and I avoid any kind of conversation involving religion. Since all of the family comes to our house, I'm never likely to run into a stranger and be faced with what to say to them on Christmas, but if I did, it would still be Merry Christmas. For me it's no different than saying Happy New Year, just a secular holiday that most celebrate and those that do not shouldn't try to keep me from enjoying it. It would be like not saying "Happy New Year" in front of a Chinese co-worker because in their culture it's in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement