Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHillers View Post
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

In addition, please also accept our best wishes for a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2016, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make this country great (not to imply that any country is necessarily greater than any other country or area of choice), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual orientation of the wishers.

This wish is limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first. ‘Holiday’ is not intended to, nor shall it be considered, limited to the usual Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, or to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community, group, individual or belief (or lack thereof).

Note: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all.

This greeting is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher actually to implement any of the wishes for the wisher her/himself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of it.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law.
And Happy [whatever holiday makes you happy] to you, HopHillers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 04:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I'm not trying to marginalize Christmas. Just pointing out that the celebration derives from a series of much older holidays. I am answering your question "Without the celebration of that birth would the day exist?" by stating yes, there would still be a celebration at this time of year even if the Romans (or whomever) had not picked Dec 25.

Happy Christmas to you TuborgP.
Yes, I knew that's what you meant.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I should know better than to post something on this forum without using an emoji.
There's still time ~

Old 12-24-2015, 10:32 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I work in retail and since the week of Thanksgiving, I've been telling people to have a good holiday. That's what I'm still saying unless someone specific wishes me a Merry Christmas and then I wish them one back. There are many different faiths where I live. I don't want to offend anyone. From the end of November until the beginning there are numerous holidays....some religious and some not. So every just have a good holiday no matter what one you're celebrating! And no I'm no offended when someone wishes me well.

It was crazy at work today...gotta love retail on Christmas Eve! lol Everyone was in a pretty good mood, only one 'bad guy' that I heard about who complained and threatened to get his lawyer because he had to wait so long for a manager to come to the front. Sigh.

After reading this thread I was, again, paying attention to people at work. I heard it all today...good/happy holidays, good/happy/merry Christmas, etc.. The majority of well wishers said Merry Christmas. Nobody gives it a second thought or wonders if they'll insult anyone apparently.

Now, come Sat. morning when the returns start coming in and the line is around the store, we'll see how it goes. If I were going to return something I would NEVER do it the day after Christmas...or in that week even! It's so much we actually set up a couple of tables to take returns and take the pressure off of Customer Service. Customer patience is sometimes on the low side though so we shall see.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHillers View Post
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

In addition, please also accept our best wishes for a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2016, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make this country great (not to imply that any country is necessarily greater than any other country or area of choice), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual orientation of the wishers.

This wish is limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first. ‘Holiday’ is not intended to, nor shall it be considered, limited to the usual Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, or to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community, group, individual or belief (or lack thereof).

Note: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all.

This greeting is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher actually to implement any of the wishes for the wisher her/himself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of it.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law.

That is awesome! Thanks for posting it.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:04 AM

21,543 posts, read 8,724,324 times
If I'm not sure of a person's preference, I'll say "Merry Hanukwanzaafestimas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement