Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 PM

7,019 posts, read 6,230,384 times

Advertisements

Thanks yellowsnow. My lease is up here the end of March & that's not going to give me enough time to do the investigating I need to do so I will be here one more year.

It's not just a place to live, I also have to find out about doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc. Thrift shops, bookshops & coffeehouses are high on the list.

The only way I'm going to know for sure is to spend time in the places I am interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,596 posts, read 57,546,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks yellowsnow. My lease is up here the end of March ...

The only way I'm going to know for sure is to spend time in the places I am interested in.
I hope you can go month to month after March, so you don't need to endure another MN winter!

I would be heading to TN real quick! (to get a taste)

Old 12-27-2015, 10:32 PM

I live in a senior building & we'll be evaluated in January. I'll know more at that time as to what the rules and regulations are. We'll see. Having lived in Minnesota for 59 of my 62 years, I'll survive one more winter if I have to.

I am grateful to have been able to live here. Not that they would have any doubt of my ability to pay but, I had not had a home of my own for over 3 years and hadn't rented for 12 years, when I bought my house. Then came the lay-off, bankruptcy, car accident & foreclosure.

It has been a blessing to have this apartment.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:39 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,879,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

It's not just a place to live, I also have to find out about doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc. Thrift shops, bookshops & coffeehouses are high on the list.

And a grocery store that delivers

Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
And a grocery store that delivers
I thought of that after I posted! Actually, I can drive so as long as the weather is okay, lol.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:19 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,863,611 times
MEO a senior apartment house in CLEVELAND may be good in your case.
Another poster in retirement forum lives in one, it sounds like it's right near eveything and bus lines.

I really wanted Cleveland, if I were old enough for a senior building I'd go there without hesitation.
I crossed it off because the houses I could afford were in scary sections and the senior apts in nice, convenient sections I don't qualify for yet.

But for COL and health care and convenience, both pub trans and taxis, Cleveland sounds awesome, I may end up there if I resign myself to renting, if I can find a not-senior apt I can afford in an OK section.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Cleveland is2nd on my list. It's Minerva who lives there & who got me interested. It does sound good but I am not sure about the winter. I think it's better than Minnesota but I am finding what I was afraid of, namely that my back is much worse in the cold.

Tennessee has winter but not anything like we do.

There's a lot to consider when contemplating a huge move. I was just looking in my closet and even clothes have to be taken into consideration. If I move to Cleveland I'm fine but if it's Tennessee or anywhere south, I'm fairly certain I don't need clothes that can keep me warm in the worst weather.

A lot to think about.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:46 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,763,506 times
Newer "mobile homes" can be very well built, more or less what we called down South a "pre-fab" rather than a "trailer" outright. The old "true trailers" can be very cheap but are not that well built, not too well insulated, OK in a mild climate, but not in the upper Midwest for sure. The only advantage to these is that if you find one (the build standard changed quite a few years ago so these are all getting pretty old) in decent shape, they can be bought CHEAP. In Washington a law was passed a few years ago requiring any true trailer to be re-wired if moved, due to a few fires from wiring (tight-stretched aluminum wire) being damaged in the move. So for our state, all true trailers are "super-glued" in place, for all practical purposes. (Cost of a professional re-wire job would exceed the worth of the trailer.) But this also tends to make them cheap to buy. As I have posted before, a big awning put up over the trailer, like a big car-port, can keep them cooler in summer and keep the rain off it, helps avoid roof leaks.

If you can get one of the better, newer "mobiles" - they are essentially a pre-fab house that is brought to you on wheels, put on a foundation of sorts, these can be a good, tight, easy to heat or cool shack.

Me, being a country boy, I would only do one on a rural lot, I would not even consider a trailer in a trailer park where you rent the land. I'd rather just rent an apartment or house. Remember that if the landlord is a "lord" to you, what does that make you to him? Anyone? Buehler? That's right, Ferris, to the landlord you are a "serf".

Old 12-28-2015, 05:28 PM

Good thoughts M3. Another poster did mention that to me and that is something I will be looking at when I visit. In fact, I will target older homes on a piece of land. My main consideration wherever I go is mobility. Even though I now live in a town, it's still a hassle to get to the store because it is so far from stores.

I do know it can get icy in winter in Tennessee & even though I have fallen twice since the operation, the doctor did warn me that I should not fall as it might undo what had been done. Another reason I dread shopping in the winter & actually dread winter now.

Prior to the car accident, winter didn't bother me that much. In fact, on our street, when there was a heavy snowfall the whole neighborhood went out with whatever tools we had & helped shovel or plow our street. If someone got stuck a bunch of us helped push their car. If you fell, you probably would just laugh & pick yourself up.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,907,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
MEO a senior apartment house in CLEVELAND may be good in your case.
Another poster in retirement forum lives in one, it sounds like it's right near eveything and bus lines.
At my age I would never consider buying a home of any kind other than a condo that is right on top of everything needed for daily function. The mobile home parks I know of are not within easy reach of anything, a car is always needed. The expenses involved are never fixed. If the OP is relatively low-income, I would think finding a rent-restricted apartment in a nice city or town would make a whole lot more sense. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement