Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:14 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,987,368 times

Advertisements

I spend much more time exercising than managing our finances. Always have, even pre-retirement.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 AM

5,250 posts, read 4,640,240 times
After reading through the previous posts here I've realized that some of our most pressing divisions in life stem from our huge differences in the way we work and the consequences of that work in terms of our wealth and health. Many of the threads here begin with an inquiry about the amount of exercise we get in our retired years, followed by an outpouring of commentary regarding the vast chasms of experiences we've had though our working lives and the way those things have impacted us.

I'm living on a golf course and see a fair amount of older folks who seem to be in tip top shape, their long drives and straight posture speak to a life well lived, without many physical burdens, tanned, thin, well dressed, a real contrast to those I've seen around town who obviously were, as the saying goes, "rode hard and put away wet". The fact of our being retired doesn't add much to a closing of that persistant social/economic gap, we aren't the one big happy family of retirees that the adds on TV usually depict us as. I worked both a physical and non physical work life, luckily for me the non physical part was the last twenty years of work, good pay and benefits coupled with a diminished physical requirement allowed me a decent life in retirement, both health and wealth wise.

The first twenty years of my work has caught up with me though, I'm arthritic, have COPD, and more than a bit of chronic pain, still, I do get up and around pretty well and enjoy the days of walking, photographing, travelling, and yes, I do watch my money just as well as I did before I retired, a tad bit less cautionary though, now that the end is on my horizon. Retirement for a roofer, versus a banker, seems to connote a huge difference with regard to any expectations of both health and wealth, and it shows on the faces of those whose work took a big portion of their future.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,716,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I'm sorry for your health maladies and hope my question didn't come across mean-spirited. The health perils we face in life can't always be protected by from our health, wellness and physical fitness pursuits. My best well wishes to you.
Nah, I knew you weren't mean spirited, just things I did (Jumping out of a 14 foot tree), landed straight up and down screwed hip forever.

No one to mentor me, just no direction given and little else otherwise.............

Old 12-29-2015, 05:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,426,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post

And finally, in response to your comment "To YOU I probably look 'short,fat and lazy'" if possible, find comfort in knowing that I'm too busy managing my own appearance to be concerned about someone else in cyberspace's appearance that I'll never know in a real bricks and mortar setting.

Have a blessed day.
Aw, Gee, You mean you don't want to go on a real date with me?

lol lol lol lol

Old 12-29-2015, 06:08 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,428,782 times
This spring we will be taking delivery of batches of little "peeps" - baby chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese. The total will exceed 800 birds this year, after raising just 325 last year. As you can see, I don't need to invest in a gym membership or walk endless laps around a track! I really don't even think about exercise... I'm too busy doing it. That's the best way, I think.

I've always been happiest outdoors, or out on the road. Just my personality. Never been a couch potato, and don't own a TV. I eat pretty much what I please, which has always been heavy on the protein.

Also don't have the patience to follow investments. They do fine without my meddling, anyway!

Old 12-29-2015, 06:31 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,881,756 times
I understand the OP question. My response to him is that we discuss in here what we want to and seek or give advice on what we want to. There are a couple of forums that tend to discuss retirement related topics. Others that discuss health and fitness topics. What parts of our lives we deem worthy of sharing and discussing varies. There are many health and fitness publications and forums other than City-Data etc. I don't think most in the forum participate that much in the finance discussions. It also may be that financial points lend themselves to questions and follow up etc. Also Livestrong, WebMD, Prevention, Men's Health probably give better objective info at a reasonable price compared to financial publications.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

49 posts, read 44,171 times
As with everything else in life, timing is everything... IMHO.

I paid little or no attention to financial planning before age 60. Life circumstances combined in weird ways, with the result that although I could have had much more financial security going forward if I had made decisions other than what I did, I don't expect to be out on the street or run completely out of money before I die. In other words, the future ain't gonna be a bowl of cherries but it won't be a sack of lemons either. What's done is done, so it makes no sense to beat myself up over who I was decades ago. The result is not optimal, but it's acceptable.

As for fitness/exercise, that was never my thing. I'm blessed with a high metabolism and so weight control was never a problem and frankly, I don't like to sweat, LOL. My idea of being outdoorsy is to putter in the garden for a few hours while wearing a big hat and slathered with about a gallon of sunblock. I've never smoked or drank. In my early 50s I stopped eating red meat and processed foods, and discovered that my gut is happiest on a very simple and limited diet. I can't eat the way I did in my 20s, 30s, 40s or 50s and I finally stopped trying to follow any dietary guidelines other than what my body tells me on a daily basis it works best with. My diet is probably wrong for anyone else but you know what? It works for me, and that's all that really counts. If it makes a body part hurt, I don't do it. If it upsets any part of my intestinal tract, (or if the taste makes me gag) I don't eat it. I don't need to consult Dr Google or any other medical practitioner or to follow any recommended regime; I've gotten off the medicalization treadmill, so to speak. :-)

Again: not optimal, but acceptable.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:28 PM

14,190 posts, read 14,543,530 times
I only check my investments monthly or so. The reason is I am fairly confident I am good where I am and I do not anticipate making any changes.

As far as exercise the most I do is play golf 3 times a week. I pretty well eat and drink whatever I want and probably to much of both. I am 73 and other than a touch of COPD from being a multi year smoker and 25lbs or so overweight, my health is good.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
What I notice in my gym visits is that there are many seniors there. I am certainly not in a minority at 9 am on a week day. Not only are there seniors in every possible state of fitness, there are all age ranges, from sixties on up into the eighties, age wise. Sometimes we see people trying to rehabilitate after surgery or some other bad health event, but generally, I don't see them for long. Most of the day to day people are simply trying to maintain their level of fitness, or, as in my case, to improve it.

I guess the lesson there is to maintain as long as you can. Because if we live long enough we won't be able to do that much any more, and it will be too late to get fit.

I've known of a lot of women who aren't fit who twist their ankles or knees and require braces or boots. I think walking is incredibly important for strengthening the muscles around our knees and ankles. And if we have balance problems, then walking also helps that. If we don't do another thing, walking is prime, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement