Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times

Advertisements

OK folks, I've read these posts for about a year or so. Either it's the crowd that this forum attracts or somewhere along the path people didn't learn how to save for the future. So, what is it?

Did many of you never learn about planning for your future?

Was there just not enough income to save for the future?

Was it not important to save for the future?

Why is it that so many people facing retirement are so ill-prepared after 30-40years of working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I meet a lot of nice people that just live day by day... by that, I don't mean down and out or they believe social services, social security, Section 8 and medicare will be there for them in their golden years...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Hmm, let's see...most people spend more than they earn and therefore can't or don't save much, raising a family is extremely expensive even when you live frugally and many are in denial - thinking they have lots and lots of time left to get it together, or like Ultrarunner has pointed out, they believe someone or something will take care of them - it will all work out. Another reason: People underestimate how much money they will actually need once they are retired.

Since most people haven't saved enough for retirement, many of us fall into the category of not being fully prepared financially for our older years. This problem isn't unique - actually the odd man/woman out here it is the prepared individual who has been planning and saving for retirement for years.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I'm not sure if this is still true. I did some research on the topic back in the late 70s/early 80s but in China, they have no social security type of system. The oldest son is responsible for the parents in their old age. So when the one child per couple rule/law in China went into effect (to reduce the population), some parents killed their newborn girls.

Imagine if Americans had to rely on their oldest male child to support them in retirement. Hardly any of us would retire.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 AM

120 posts, read 127,943 times
You haven't seen Nothing yet! The retires of the last 20 years will be the last ones to have an employee sponsored retirement. The next 30 years are going to be a "Bloodbath" unfortunately. And when SS runs dry it won't be pretty.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Newmover99 - There are many, many government employes (Federal, state and local) and they still provide a very nice retirement for their employees - so I have to disagree with you. Many of those employees do not rely on Social Security - I know we don't - no need, we have a nice pension from our city government - fully funded.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Americans generally want everything right now with no sacrafice or work. Big generality but think about our debt levels and how young people want to step out of college and into the life their parents spent decades working towards getting.

It was against the tide but we have saved diligently and provided a financial cushion for the future. Even with pensions and such, we wanted choice and that takes a boatload of savings. We never bought the house we "could have afforded" according to everyone or the new cars "we deserve" or the new fashions "to look like everyone else".

Now since we have been living on our retirement amount of income for years, retirement is a breeze.

Best to teach your kids how to maximize their earning power, to minimize their expenses and provide for their own future. Cause there isnt going to be that safety net in the future unless you provide it yourself.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I blame a lot of the problem on people falling prey to the ads of "cashing in your equity on your house" that were unheard of years ago.

When I entered the labor market sone 45 years ago, the dream was to buy a house and have it paid off before you retire so you have eliminated a huge expense ( mortgage payments) once your income drops due to retirement.

I recall some of the first home equity ads. They showed a couple going on a cruise or island vacation. The ad said---"you work hard, you deserve this"--" cash in the equity on your home"

A relative works doing mortgage closings. For many years she has noticed most are done for re-financing and she is seeing many people reaching retirement who still owe 75% + of the value of their house in mortgage.

Somehow the timetable of having ones house paid off by retirement was deemed "old fashioned" and we are about to see the fallout from the abandonment of that good fiscal practice.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Somewhere around the time when the government ceased to call us "citizens" and started calling us "consumers" instead. We live in a consumption-based culture, and if people actually stopped buying things and started saving money, the whole economic carousel would grind to a halt.

Hence this latest tax rebate, which is one of the stupidest, short-sighted concepts I've heard - "the economy is slowing down, so let's give people money so'll they'll spend it and keep the economy going." Either the tax revenues are necessary to keep the government going and a tax rebate gets "repaid" by cutting gov't services/functions (which won't help the economy) or they were collecting too much in the first place.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
OK folks, I've read these posts for about a year or so. Either it's the crowd that this forum attracts or somewhere along the path people didn't learn how to save for the future. So, what is it?

Did many of you never learn about planning for your future?

Was there just not enough income to save for the future?

Was it not important to save for the future?

Why is it that so many people facing retirement are so ill-prepared after 30-40years of working?

I am 30 so I still have time and am just now preparing like I should be. I learned haphazardly from my parents, neither of whom saved for the future. Also, I earned a lot of money for a while, didn't save it, then when I was ready to save my income dropped to 40% of its peak and there was no longer enough...

I think Social Security and relics such as pensions are just so ingrained in us that we as a society don't learn to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement