Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,821,973 times

Advertisements

My grandmother and grandfather fought like cats and dogs when he retired and was around all day. Divorce was never considered, people in small towns of their generation stuck with their decisions. I'm not sure they ever got along (pre-retirement) but retirement made their proximity 24/7. But they loved their grandkids and rarely had huge fights when we were around.

My husband and I have been retired 10 years and get along fine. We also worked together in our self-employed business for 24 years before retirement so we knew how to get along. Having separate spaces in the house is a big part of happiness along with having separate hobbies and meetings to go to.

If you don't really like one another why not get divorced? Or get counseling? or maybe put an addition on. Life is too short to spend your days miserable and if you are retired you don't have that much time left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarby View Post
We are not retired yet but I know what you mean. My husband does not want to do anything at all ever. He is perfectly content to go to work and come home and never leave the house. When he comes home, he watches movie after movie after movie. Drives me bonkers. I know when he retires I will go crazy. I volunteer one day a week, lunch with a friend another day, play trivia at a nearby bar one night a week and bar bingo another night, all without him. I recently started working at a job part time to get me out of the house. For a long time I was very angry that he did not want to do anything but I have come to accept it and realize that he is doing exactly as his parents did. When he is retired, I will make sure I have something to do for a couple of hours every day to keep from going crazy watching him do nothing.
OMG... Have you been peeking into my house. He's retired and I will retire in a few weeks. I'm thinking about working 2-3 days per week. Hopefully we can take a vacation together, and one apart.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM

692 posts, read 698,823 times
Good to know I am not the only one Peaches21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement