Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 24,350 times

Advertisements

Are any of you guys retired in the Dominican Republic (DR) or have lived in the DR for a period of time? If so, would you share your experiences.

I am retired and lived in Panama for several years. Currently I live in Las Vegas but I am considering moving to the Sosua area of the DR for at least a year. I have medicare and a co-payer in the States. My plan is to return to Florida once or twice a year to use my medical benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
I'd imagine being an ex Spanish overseas departamento they still have Napoleonic Law. I would also imagine tort law is stacked against the plaintiff. La mordida may be worse than in Panama.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:31 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Would you plan to have insurance to evacuate you to the US in case of a medical emergency? Medical air evac is extremely expensive.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:37 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,552 times
Wish I could give you information. I did read up on DR at one time, but have now forgotten all i have read, plus much of it would have changed by now. You do know that they have different forums like this that deal with moving overseas. I could not tell you the one for the Dom Rep, but you can Google around and you will find one.

On medical, the other poster has a point. It can work out that if you develop a serious medical condition, you would have some time to return to the states. But if you suffer a heart attack or are involved in a serious accident, that will not work for you. So you need to also check out if you can obtain some form of insurance there. Expats who are living there now will know the most and can tell you what they do. You are probably considering this to live cheaper and don't want to add to your expenses, but medical insurance in other countries such as this is nothing like the cost here so don't dismiss it.

The places I considered were Nicaragua, Uruguay and Argentina. Nicaragua being the most economical with good weather in certain high elevation cities, Uruguay for the beauty and beaches, and Buenos Aries , Argentina for the lively and lovely city and great food, entertainment, etc.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:04 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
You might want to check out expat.com for questions regarding retirement in DR. Also, Skymed has plans if you need medical evacuation. I use Skymed whenever I travel outside the US but luckily, I have not had to use it. However, people who do use it have been very pleased with the service. It takes you to your hospital of choice.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:27 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Here is something I would certainly consider if wanting to retire ANYWHERE overseas:

Crime Index by Country 2015 Mid Year

BTW, if you look at the header line on this, you will find LOTS of things that you can "compare" that might assist you in decision making. Cost of Living, quality of life, all kinds of good info!

Old 12-25-2015, 07:53 PM

679 posts, read 878,702 times
As a former flight attendant who has spent a lot of time in the Dominican Republic, I would spend my retirement years in a travel trailer in a Walmart parking lot in the worst town in Arkansas before I retired in the DR. But that's me.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 AM

2,603 posts, read 2,291,657 times
I was also a flight attendant and spent a lot of time in Dominican Republic. I hung out with the locals while I was on my layover. It is a very dangerous country. It is a very corrupt country too. I agree with tulippsy, I would never even consider moving there.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
we just got back from there . not only would i not go back for vacation again but retiring there would be the last place i would go .

Old 12-26-2015, 11:47 AM

201 posts, read 237,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
As a former flight attendant who has spent a lot of time in the Dominican Republic, I would spend my retirement years in a travel trailer in a Walmart parking lot in the worst town in Arkansas before I retired in the DR. But that's me.
Ditto Ditto ... our neighbor just got back two days ago from visiting his son who is in the military. He observed that all the houses in the "good" neighborhoods had burglar bars in the windows and doors. His son rides his bike to work and it takes him 35 min. If he took his car it would take over an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement