Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times

Advertisements

No politics, please. Next thing, they'll be moving this thread to Politics & Other Controversies. Stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
So, to sum the thread up - at least here on CD, we have many Retirement forum posters who are atheist or agnostic. Some have been that way for a long time, some sort of worked up to it over the years. Most of us don't seem to discuss it unless asked or until someone pops up with obnoxious arguments about it.

So for the posters earlier in the thread who said that they did not know anyone who was an atheist or agnostic - you probably actually do, you just don't know it because it isn't something that gets discussed much.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
You can find my original post on page 5 of this thread and even since that time I am in trouble from some family members for not praying for my beloved friend of 37 years as well as being my brother in law for 5 years there somewhere in the middle of the 37 .

He is a wonderful darling teddy bear of a man who my whole family living and deceased loved dearly and all anyone can do is just say Pray , praying praying .. like they are lining up just to make some showing . uughh I have asked pleaded and finally DEMANDED to know what on earth has happened with our friend of so long .. silence .. So I had to PM my son and he told me my friend who always battled a weight problem and his wife who mainly fed him grease since 1987( they ARE still in Texas) is dying at age 55 from combined kidney and liver failure and has a large tumor on one kidney and as my son said " a bunch of other things and can barely speak ".

OK well instead of just yelling out PRAY on social media, not only am I remembering the wonderful times we all had together but I told my son that I wanted him to TELL him even if he couldn't respond. How much my sister and another lifelong friend who lives out here and my self LOVE him VERY VERY much and to please try as hard as you can to pull OUT of this . I told my son that it was most important right that he know how truly he is loved by all of us .

This guy grew up in abject poverty and was the first and only to graduate HS/ then college and tried SO HARD in this life to do the right thing ( including praying alot ) was nice to EVERYONE , always gave people a chance and was never judgmental and was just handed a life of &$*#. I can say a truly stellar person.

He did all the right things and deserved better than this . I am not seeing that prayer , praying , whatever helped in the least .
Edit : Someone asked why I was unable to tell him myself and that is because we now live 2500 miles apart and I sadly just cannot afford to go . I also found out in addition to the above he also has pneumonia and peritonitis.

Sweetest man yet his brother - my ex - who has enjoyed RAINING terror and pain on all kinds of people his whole life lives on .

Old 01-04-2016, 10:38 AM

218 posts, read 174,924 times
This thread is a lot of fun. It gives me a chance to trot out religion quotes that amuse me. Here's another.

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children are smart."

HL Mencken

Old 01-04-2016, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 8,940 times
Not quite 65 (just turned 60), and a life-long atheist, and happy to embed myself psychologically and spiritually in the realm of the natural world, which hums to the beat of natural law. No gods, no masters. We just came to be over millions of year, no purpose, no reason, we just are who we are because that's the way it turned out. (Cute puppies too.) We need to make our own personal purpose during our lucky lifetimes while we're here. (Everyone, do some good, please.)

[SIZE=2][George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".] "[/SIZE]I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate."[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastbound View Post
"I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate."
I remember that Carlin line. Had some good laughs from that routine of his.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:18 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I almost got sent to Kuwait in the first Gulf war. I was sure there would be at least one atheist in a foxhole (or sand trap). I had to argue to get a designation of "none" on the religion part of my dog tags in the case of a fatal wound.
I wanted 'atheist' on my tags too, but in the '70s the best I could do was 'no preference'.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I wanted 'atheist' on my tags too, but in the '70s the best I could do was 'no preference'.

To you and BrightDogLover (hope I got name right), what a shame they could not see beyond their pointy noses. That should have been put on your tags, atheist. I think they took away your freedom of religion (for that period of time).

I am not sure I'm saying this right, and hope you get my meaning. You have the right to be anything you want. They were shoving their beliefs down your throat.

I have had a lot of religion forced on me. I've come to the realization recently that I am agnostic. First time I've been able to admit it "out loud."

Old 01-04-2016, 04:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
To you and BrightDogLover (hope I got name right), what a shame they could not see beyond their pointy noses. That should have been put on your tags, atheist. I think they took away your freedom of religion (for that period of time).

I am not sure I'm saying this right, and hope you get my meaning. You have the right to be anything you want. They were shoving their beliefs down your throat.

I have had a lot of religion forced on me. I've come to the realization recently that I am agnostic. First time I've been able to admit it "out loud."
Many of us were taught at a young age that atheist = communist = bad. It's not at all true, but it can be difficult to shed the teachings learned during early childhood.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:37 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Many of us were taught at a young age that atheist = communist = bad. It's not at all true, but it can be difficult to shed the teachings learned during early childhood.
Makes it easier to shed many of those type things if one gets and education and worldly experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement