Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
When the JW's came to my house I told them I worshipped Satan and proceeded to bring out my black candles and black robe.

Because they came to our neighborhood and parked on our street several years ago while our son was still at home, we would get them 3 out of 4 Sat am's per month.

One day (we were gone) our son invited them in, let them start, and then proceed to "act" like he had Tourette's. He said they rushed out of the house and they must have marked our house as a "NO GO" cause they never again came back as long as we lived there....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
I'm convinced through personal experience that life never ends. All the horrible things in the world fit logically within the realm of a loving "God", which is put in quotes because it's not a male or even human. Any pain is temporary and ultimately by choice. It's perfectly fine to be skeptical, atheist, agnostic, whatever. Religion is mostly a business. I'm glad to understand that we're immortal and otherwise see the bigger picture, as it's helped shape my current life for the better.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
I sometime wonder about the progression in my life to becoming an atheist. I was sent to Catholic school when I was a kid, and so was indoctrinated quite young. I even fancied becoming a nun when I grew up. On top of that, my father built Catholic churches and parishes. So I was totally immersed.

However, I was sent to the principals office twice, guessing maybe around third grade, when I questioned the nun why god would frown on us playing with children of a different religious persuasion. The next time I was sent to the office was when I again questioned the nun why god would send an innocent baby to hell if their parents neglected to baptize them (when clearly the baby had no control in the matter). My father was summoned to school on that one.

I do remember officially denouncing any semblance of belief by the time I was 18. I had won a beauty contest and part of the formality was having to get a recommendation from both my school and a priest from my parish. The interview with the priest did not turn out well, as he did not care for my answers I guess.

I did not adapt the tag, atheist though until I got a little older, but definitely before age 65, the more I experience people and the world I lived in. I began to realize that some Christians belief system did not correlate well with what being a good Christian was supposed to represent. Actually, I could say the same for other religions as well. I also could never come to terms with the rejection of science.

As another poster already mentioned, I became very upset with the infusion of forced religious beliefs in our politics and schools, and young minds. And in looking back on history, it became clear that too many wars and atrocities were commuted over time in the name of religion. It still continues to this day.

So as to when this happens it is hard to say. I think in my case it was always there as I could not accept many of the teachings in school as a youngster (you were condemned to eternal hell for too many reasons), which only progressed further as I got older. And now in my 70's, I feel stronger than ever in my lack of faith and total rejection of a super human being.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:01 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
In dog we trust.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:12 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
I'm convinced through personal experience that life never ends. All the horrible things in the world fit logically within the realm of a loving "God", which is put in quotes because it's not a male or even human. Any pain is temporary and ultimately by choice. It's perfectly fine to be skeptical, atheist, agnostic, whatever. Religion is mostly a business. I'm glad to understand that we're immortal and otherwise see the bigger picture, as it's helped shape my current life for the better.
Whatever floats the old boat ...

Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
As John Lennon said, "What ever gets you through the night."

Old 12-31-2015, 04:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I guess I would say I am a Jewish Atheist. I do not believe in God but I do identify with many of the teachings and traditions of the Jewish faith in which I was brought up. I separate the culture from the mystical aspect from the practical. I don't believe the lessons, morals and values handed down in teachings of the learned scholars were given to them by God but were created by these wise people themselves and are the most meaningful of examples in which to live.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
I was raised Catholic but started having problems with the church when they wouldn't let me be an altar boy, just because I was a girl. I was top in my class in Latin (that was when the mass was in Latin). I felt that any religion that wanted to treat me as a second class citizen wasn't worth my time. When the church came out against the birth control pill I officially left.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'm 62 and have always been atheist, and it's not changing as I age. I spent time recently with my 90-yar-old aunt, who has always been a Catholic believer and who worries about my "future." I tell her if there's a judgement (which I doubt) I'll count my deeds, not my thoughts. She says she is "preparing to face eternity," although she seems to find it more alarming to consider that that's not true.

I almost got sent to Kuwait in the first Gulf war. I was sure there would be at least one atheist in a foxhole (or sand trap). I had to argue to get a designation of "none" on the religion part of my dog tags in the case of a fatal wound.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:25 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
As I've gotten older, I have found the beliefs I once had have definitely fizzled. I do believe in God, but I no longer believe he is all loving, all forgiving, etc.

Looking at the condition of the world, children being slaughtered and otherwise brutalized, the mass shootings, bombings, killings....... no, I don't believe that God really cares.

My so-called faith went out the window quite a few years ago. Very hard for me to believe in something I can't see or hear, but have no problem being angry and full of disbelief.

yeah ,, I am about at that stage now as well for the same reasons , although I am 53 . I am married to a European that does think there is a spiritual place and spiritual beings but not like it says in the Bible.

I live in Seattle yes but was born and raised in the south and SO MANY of my childhood friends think even my seriously questioning faith in general is sending me straight to hell .. I STOPPED or maybe never did join the throngs of people offering up prayers on any social media when something horrible is happening to someone. Mainly because I think most of the people saying that are just paying lip service to the person(s) involved, don't know what to say or makes them feel safer to have said it .

I TRY to say something uplifting and positive instead . Even when a child dies I am usually so angry I am about to FLIP if they say God needed another Angel.. I think he has enough angels frankly .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement