Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
How was it for you?
Non eventful... The money started going to the bank, my wife handles it. I elected to take it at 65 instead of 62 (I think) and I don't remember what we decided...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 05:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Approximately five years before retiring I adjusted my budget as though I were already receiving s/s (was able to guesstimate the amount).

Not only did that prevent the "no paycheck" shock, it also provided a means to spend less and save more during the remaining years at work.
^^ I like this idea.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:43 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
I am one year from collecting Social Security. My husband will start collecting in 2 years.

I suspect it will be an emotional experience. An electronic payment will come into my bank account with a 99% chance of it coming every month until I die. Those are good odds.

With my investment income and Social Security there is a 99% chance I will never have to worry about my financial needs. Those are good odds.

And there is a 99% chance I will never have to work again. THOSE ARE GOOD ODDS!

(This from a person who has struggled with bad jobs, layoffs, terminations, bad bosses, unemployment and many a financial crisis. When that first Social Security Check comes in it will be an emotional experience.)

How was it for you?
I forgot how I felt....LOL

Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I think I will be elated but dumbfounded that someone is paying me not to work.
Actually YOU are paying yourself...that money was taken out of your earnings all those years and our GOVERNMENT got to keep the interest...so just remember when someone tells you that your monthly checks are entitlements -- NO, they are part of your hard earned money from years spent working.
Enjoy your retirement -- I've got about 18 months to go!

Old 01-16-2016, 01:03 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Actually YOU are paying yourself...that money was taken out of your earnings all those years and our GOVERNMENT got to keep the interest...so just remember when someone tells you that your monthly checks are entitlements -- NO, they are part of your hard earned money from years spent working.
Enjoy your retirement -- I've got about 18 months to go!
I understand and agree with your basic point, but you got one of the details wrong. The government didn't get to "keep" any interest. Our money deducted from our paychecks went to pay Social Security benefits for those who had retired, or for minor dependents of deceased workers. For many years there was a cash flow surplus, which was used to purchase special U.S. Treasury bonds redeemable only by the Social Security Trust Fund. The interest on those bonds went (and is still going) to Social Security, not to the general U.S. fund. In fact the interest on those bonds is now keeping the cash flow positive, being that collection of FICA payroll taxes now lags behind payment of benefits. (Some people may view the cash flow as already being negative, and I don't think they're "wrong" - it's kind of a semantic game).

The money I receive every month from Social Security comes from payroll taxes of people still working, supplemented by the interest on the bonds which I already described. SS has been a "pay-as-you-go" system since its inception and the ratio of people working to retirees has been changing as families have been having, on average, fewer children for some time now. My father was one of eight children, my mother one of five, but I (now 71) am one of two. (My personal case doesn't prove anything, but it happens to be in line with the general trend so it can be used as an example.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement