Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:40 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am working now and perhaps within 5 years of retirement. The cars we have are paid for, are in good shape but are 8-10 years old. Should we buy one last new car before retirement and drive it into the sunset while we are still working or simply budget $300 a month and lease indefinitely? Bottom line, do people afford to buy new cars on retirement income?
My mother-in-law in retirement just leased a new Camry every 24 months. That way she was always driving a new car, it was always under warranty, she never had to deal with shady mechanics or have any repairs done. I thought it was a waste of money but to her it was just another monthly bill like the utility bill.

A car like that is fairly cheap to lease because it holds its value well.

As for me, I prefer to drive my cars into the ground. My previous new car lasted 18 years.

You choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
My MIL bought my DH's company fleet vehicle last year to replace her old car. She wanted to buy used but was worried about being ripped off. She was visiting when DH was doing paperwork to turn in his old car before he got his new one. She ended up buying it through fleet; it was five years old with 65,000 miles in perfect shape, the tires had been replaced 6 months earlier. She knew the car's history and that it had been maintained regularly as fleet requires. DH put her in touch with fleet and she dealt with them directly. She got the car for $6,000 less than book value.

The Subaru DH is driving now will be ready to turn in by the time he retires in four years and our plan is to buy it from fleet then.

Our days of buying new cars are gone; we blew enough money over the years buying my new cars that depreciated thousands just driving them off the lot. It was fun at the time but such a waste.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
I bought a 5 year old car that had under 65,000 miles on it. Paid cash & yes, the salesman was shocked & tried to talk me into financing, but I didn't do that.

I've had it a little over a year and am perfectly happy with it.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
I seem to recall my dad bought a new car about a year before they retired. When they sold their house at a huge profit to downsize in retirement, he paid off the car loan with some of the profits on the sale. They are now mortgage-free AND car-loan free.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Lots of people seem to think that buying a new car at the outset of retirement will "be their last". If you're retired for 20 years, it may not be!

I'd buy cars in the same manner as before retirement - several years old but in good shape and from a reliable source - then I'd plan to keep it for 10-15 years. And I'll also plan on possibly needing another car before I'm done!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:58 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
We have 2 cars. One has over 300,000 miles, the other over 400,000 miles. My husband was a mechanic. Both cars are in great shape, and when and if we need another car someday, we'll just pick up one for 3 or 4 grand from one of our used car friends like we did 12 years ago. We have never had car payments and just the thought of one makes me sick. We live near a bus stop that takes us anywhere I Pueblo, so I was thinking maybe we should make one of our cars a neighborhood shared vehicle car with everyone sharing gas, repairs, and insurance.
Insurance may be very tricky in this case - insurance rates are based on the experience of a primary driver and a shared vehicle (outside of a household) technically won't be covered. Perhaps on some type of commercial policy which would likely have it's own issues. Otherwise it gets kind of shady and that's not good if there's ever a claim.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:07 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
We get a new car whenever we want one.

Leasing is also an option

Old 01-06-2016, 07:15 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
We get a new car whenever we want one...
Ditto. We buy a new car when our current one is off warranty and needs its first major repair. Which is usually when the car is 5-10 years old. Which is pretty much what we did before we retired. Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Although our cars are 11 and 6 years old, they have low mileage, 59 k and 29k . I don't expect to have to trade them soon. If we do, we will have saved and pay cash. Happiness is NO car loans AND NO mortgage.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am working now and perhaps within 5 years of retirement. The cars we have are paid for, are in good shape but are 8-10 years old. Should we buy one last new car before retirement and drive it into the sunset while we are still working or simply budget $300 a month and lease indefinitely? Bottom line, do people afford to buy new cars on retirement income?
Retired eight years and have bought two new cars. It isn't a function of work status but of financial profile. The better the profile the better the interest rate and it could be low enough to beat paying cash if you are so disposed. If possible when and if financing avoid dealers if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement