Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, it was directed at me.

The poster stated that ALL abused women have the same characteristics. She did not say 'some'. Go back and read it.

/
No, the poster said

"women who put up with abusers are drama vortexes. It's not like they picked out a dress they later decided they don't like, and take back. They don't just hang up the victim mentality and move on. When their lives become drama-free, even for a short time, they feel "wrong." They simultaneously hate and thrive on drama"

I've only had that one experience with the downstairs neighbor, but one other thing she said that made me think twice was that "Unless you as a woman had SUFFERED, you are not a real woman". At my then young age of 30, I would not have qualified. I just didn't feel at that time and even now really that I have "suffered". Knock on wood!

That was just one case, so I know they are not all the same. I'm just glad I did not get sucked into that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
People who have made a mess of their adult lives, *usually* are in that situation due to failings on their own part. There are enough helplines, shelters, and agencies - public and private - already set up and waiting for the next victim who wants to help herself. If this lady truly wanted to change her life, she could do so. She doesn't need you to help her in any way. But it has to be her decision, not an offer from you. Professionals have protection for their clients; you likely do not. Be careful.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:55 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I believe he is moving there, so she would be moving there also.
I'm a female, by the way. Part of my problem is that I worked in nonprofits most of my career. And this wonderful woman is only a year older than my son so I think of him when I talk to her.

All of you are correct. I've got to realize I'm no longer in the business and I no longer have the resources to help. What I can do is share my knowledge and be a shoulder.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Wow, this is so not true. I was in an abusive relationship for 15 years; this post insults me.
Unfortunately, this just makes my point. You stayed in an abusive relationship for 15 years. I wouldn't have stayed for a day.

And during those 15 years, did you listen to friends who wanted to help? Did you bring any drama into their lives? Were you good company? Could you have gone on a trip with someone without your abuser affecting that vacation?

The bottom line to the fact that you say you were in an abusive relationship for 15 years, just makes my point to the OP. By taking your neighbor on a vacation, you probably won't change the fact that she will probably stay in her abusive relationship, or simply find another one. And her drama will become your drama. And abusers love to blame anyone who interferes, and they can be violent and vindictive. You would be lucky if you only had your car keyed. And then you say to the woman, "See, he's dangerous." And then she'd say something like, "But, he loves me." Or when he's nice, he's so nice, etc. And you'll say, "But, he keeps breaking your bones or calls your bosses and makes you lose your job, etc. And she'll start defending him. She'll complain, then she'll defend.

And yes, I believe that means all women who stay in abusive relationships for 15 years. To me, this does not earn you a badge or any respect. I'm sorry your life was hard for 15 years, but I wouldn't let it become my problem. And I advise others not to let it become theirs, either.

As someone else said, there are lots of resources for victims of domestic violence. But, somebody has to want to change. In my experience, people who live with drama, don't just walk away from it easily. And being involved with them means getting involved in their drama. If that sounds like something you want to do, great. Been there. Learned my lesson. I now say a prayer and I might give them phone number to a counselor or resources, which they probably already have, and then I stay away.

I swear, if I hear another woman in my life say, "He won't let me," I think I'll scream and never stop. This is not the 1800's. If you don't want to do what he tells you to do, you can leave, divorce, whatever. Wah, wah, he won't let me visit my kids, etc., etc. The last friend I listened to for 15 years ***** about her husband, I finally let go of and told her why. I can't listen to you complain about your husband one more time. I've offered to give you a place to stay, if you ever decide to really leave him, give me a call. Otherwise, we're done. I wish you well.

Another friend I ended up letting go, would make a date to spend a day with me maybe once a year. She would be on the phone with her husband most of our time out. And usually he would say something to her that would make her cry. And she wouldn't leave him either. So, was our time affected by this guy? Yes. We could never just have a day out together.

From her perspective, you might say, she needed a friend. Well, so did I. I was not her counselor or savior or whatever.

Being friends with these women does not bring quality to your life.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-07-2016 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Unfortunately, this just makes my point. You stayed in an abusive relationship for 15 years. I wouldn't have stayed for a day. . . ..
Neither would I. But then, I'm an uncommonly independent being. I've known/read about/heard about enough stories of women who found themselves mired in an abusive relationship that I would not ever dare criticize them for not taking action sooner.

Nor will I criticize you for your opinion, because I don't know the context you have for holding it. But I completely do not share it.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
No more snow, you sound so biter. Here is a great big hug for you.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Once people have reached a certain age, the chances are small that they will change significantly. Even with a psychotherapist who is trained to help in these matters, it doesn't always work. I have a male cousin, age about 55, who can regale you for hours about the ways in which the world is screwed up and about his own analyses of things, but his own life is a shambles. He doesn't have two nickles to rub together, but of course he has reasons for that and it's never his fault. A few months back I offered to give him $2000 to get his teeth fixed, but he did not accept because that was not his priority at the time. I was not going to give the money directly to him, but instead pay it to a dental office. Well, O.K., at least he didn't try to get it paid to him directly. He has these big dreams about things changing, but if I were the betting type I would bet change will never happen with him. I've listened to him for too many years without seeing any change.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:34 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
No more snow, you sound so biter. Here is a great big hug for you.

Hugs all around! but I don't think NoMoreSnow sounds bitter. I feel much the same.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Hugs all around! but I don't think NoMoreSnow sounds bitter. I feel much the same.

I agree. But it seems objectivity can be difficult to attain.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
I have heard too many stories of an older person helping out someone with problems. Please don't do it. You are only hearing one side of a story. Many people "target" seniors for their money or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement