Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:08 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

I have friends in VA who've already bought (and have been renting out_ their retirement home.
They plan to work (in DC) until the absolute last minute, drive to Florida the next day (practically)

He has to work until the end of this coming August, and she wants to get as many of her paycheck as she can.
So they're working until the Friday of Labor Day weekend, and plan to drive to Florida by Labor Day Monday. Talk about leaving work and hitting the road!

They need to prep their house, list it and get it sold….logistically time that to his retirement and their leaving…and time THAT to the tenant's lease being up on their retirement house.

1) HE is the one who wants to retire. So I asked him why don't YOU retire, and let here work a couple of more years, You could be home, play house husband, have your freedom….and she could work. But, No he wants to retire and move. (Said this WILL BE his last DC winter). And she is the "well he wants to go so I'll go along with whatever he wants type."

2) I also suggested to my friend, well…..HE HAS to work until Labor Day weekend…you don't. Why don't YOU resign at least month before him, so you can be free to do things and prep things form the move, without BOTH of you also working full time while you do it. But no…..she wants that one last paycheck. I've asked her, is one more paycheck really worth the stress you'll be under trying to arrange all this while you're both working and the tiredness you'll likely feel from all the things you'll have to do? Shouldn't ONE of you handle the "home move" prep free of having to work?" She's MAYBE thinking about leaving work ONE week beforehand. I'm really trying to talk hero into a month.….but '''heaven forbid that would be TWO paychecks short of their more." I KNOW they don't need the money. But she's the panic, financially conservative type.

Them both working, while they prep the house, have it listed, have showings, deal with a realtor, ship things to storage in Florida ahead of their move…seems like a lots of stress they don't' HAVE to have if she would leave work, say in May, and have the next three months to handle everything and not have to work also. They want to list the house by June…well if you're both working, and the house sells, and you have to ship stuff to Florida, move to a hotel because the house sold and you're not leaving until the end of August, to that technically means TWO moves (unless the buyer let's them rent back for 2-3 MONTHS!)….you guys are going to handle all that while you BOTH work full-time?

I just personally would have someone free to do the prepping and planning and meeting with the realtor and possibly contractors (she's already said her husband may try to do as much of the work himself, preparing the house) I just front' see trying to do all this while they're both working.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:09 PM

426 posts, read 506,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I have friends in VA who've already bought (and have been renting out_ their retirement home.
They plan to work (in DC) until the absolute last minute, drive to Florida the next day (practically)

He has to work until the end of this coming August, and she wants to get as many of her paycheck as she can.
So they're working until the Friday of Labor Day weekend, and plan to drive to Florida by Labor Day Monday. Talk about leaving work and hitting the road!

They need to prep their house, list it and get it sold….logistically time that to his retirement and their leaving…and time THAT to the tenant's lease being up on their retirement house.

1) HE is the one who wants to retire. So I asked him why don't YOU retire, and let here work a couple of more years, You could be home, play house husband, have your freedom….and she could work. But, No he wants to retire and move. (Said this WILL BE his last DC winter). And she is the "well he wants to go so I'll go along with whatever he wants type."

2) I also suggested to my friend, well…..HE HAS to work until Labor Day weekend…you don't. Why don't YOU resign at least month before him, so you can be free to do things and prep things form the move, without BOTH of you also working full time while you do it. But no…..she wants that one last paycheck. I've asked her, is one more paycheck really worth the stress you'll be under trying to arrange all this while you're both working and the tiredness you'll likely feel from all the things you'll have to do? Shouldn't ONE of you handle the "home move" prep free of having to work?" She's MAYBE thinking about leaving work ONE week beforehand. I'm really trying to talk hero into a month.….but '''heaven forbid that would be TWO paychecks short of their more." I KNOW they don't need the money. But she's the panic, financially conservative type.

Them both working, while they prep the house, have it listed, have showings, deal with a realtor, ship things to storage in Florida ahead of their move…seems like a lots of stress they don't' HAVE to have if she would leave work, say in May, and have the next three months to handle everything and not have to work also. They want to list the house by June…well if you're both working, and the house sells, and you have to ship stuff to Florida, move to a hotel because the house sold and you're not leaving until the end of August, to that technically means TWO moves (unless the buyer let's them rent back for 2-3 MONTHS!)….you guys are going to handle all that while you BOTH work full-time?

I just personally would have someone free to do the prepping and planning and meeting with the realtor and possibly contractors (she's already said her husband may try to do as much of the work himself, preparing the house) I just front' see trying to do all this while they're both working.

But that's just me.
Totally agree with you. It is a major task getting a house ready for sale. I mean, I guess there are people who don't care, and even if they are neat freaks, you need to ensure that every day before you go to work, the beds are made, the house is vacuumed, make sure nothing is in the sink, including water drops, make sure all countertop stuff is put away, make sure the bathrooms are spotless, on and on. A realtor can want to bring a client at any time.

I watched HGTV in those years pretty religiously, and saw how they staged a home for sale, the repairs they made, the curb appeal. I learned a lot. Selling and moving are super stressful. Just showing the home to movers to get an estimate for an interstate move was a big job.

Look, you are trying and you are right. Just keep working on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement