Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:20 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

I live in a senior building & the bathrooms have only a walk in shower. Sometimes I miss a tub so much but I realize this is for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
On TV in the South they call it an on-suite up North a master bedroom, is this because down south a Master Bedroom considering Slavery is a weird thing to say?

Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
On TV in the South they call it an on-suite up North a master bedroom, is this because down south a Master Bedroom considering Slavery is a weird thing to say?
I thing you're looking for "en suite" rather than "on suite". That's French. From France.

Master Bedroom doesn't always imply an attache bathroom. It's just the biggest or nicest bedroom. Master bathroom and en suite bathroom are synonyms.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Our master bath has a large walk in shower with no door (Roman shower) and a built in bench. A Roman shower works well in FL, I think it would be too drafty in colder climates since there is no door or curtain to hold in the steam/heat.

The other side of the house has a full bath/shower in the bathroom and we use the tub for bath time with our young grandkids when they stay overnight.

Some houses when we were looking, had walk in showers plus large garden tubs in the corner of the master baths, usually raised and quite lovely, but not useful for us. I can't remember the last time either of us have used a tub for a bath. If we ever had a need, having one tub in the house is enough.

If I were to remodel a standard bath and had a second one in the house, I would pull the tub and put in a walk in shower of some type.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-12-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 03:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
I must have a tube in the master BR - not having one would be a deal breaker. Absolutely hate showers.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
I find it too hard to stand up from a tub--achy knees, so I favor a shower. As I grow older I would like one that doesn't require me to step over the side of a tub. The only thing I use a tub for is washing throw rugs, and a few other things. For that purpose, one could replace a bathtub with a large plastic container.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 7,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post

I don't think this has anything to do with slavery and many people here say master bathroom. It seems that "en suite" has become more common over the years, but I'm from the South and growing up in SC I always heard it referred to as the "master bath". Now I'm living back in the South again (Charlotte, NC) and I hear people say "en suite" more often ...both terms are used.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
No bathtub would be a deal breaker for me.

I am 68 and can still easily get in/out of my deep garden tub. Even if I couldn't, I would still keep a tub for resale.

The shower stall is separate.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
At 66, no tub would be a deal breaker for me, as well. Our current house has a cast iron claw foot tub, and I dearly love it - deep enough to take a truly relaxing soak and get rid of stress. Showers not only don't do that for me, for some reason they make me feel MORE stressed. Best of all possible worlds for me would be a soaking tub AND a walk in shower in the master bath (if we had a master bath - early 1900's houses didn't run to that) so that my husband could use the shower, but a master bath with a soaking tub and a secondary bath with a walk-in shower would do the trick, as well.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:45 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
We bought a new house in 1994 and it was a stretch for us at the time due to prices here much more than where we had lived in Oregon and Texas before that. The first night in the new house, my wife was sobbing for spending so much on a house that didn't have a master bath tub. Needless to say, a short time after buying, we upgraded and added a custom tub. I'll never buy a house again that doesn't have a tub in the master bath again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement