Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,020 times

Advertisements

We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 01-12-2016 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
I just had my master bathroom tub replaced with a walk in shower. It's a much safer option as one gets older. Also, much nicer than the fiberglass all-in-one tub/surround that was here before.

My house is also one that appeals to seniors. It's a small house with master bedroom and bath on first floor, and second bedroom and bath on second floor. The upstairs bath still has a tub.

I think too many people worry too much about resale. As long as your house is clean, well maintained, and you don't decorate in some weird, off-the-wall manner, it will sell. Besides, you just moved in; why are you thinking about selling?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
I would love a large walk in shower. If I was doing this I would make sure there is no "curb" to get into the shower, the wand is on a sliding vertical rail and there is somewhere to sit. Having dealt with a broken leg and ankle in the past few years I've discovered how just these little things make a big difference in being independent.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
Do you have a bathroom in the house with a bath tub? If not, I'd suggest keeping the one in the master bath. If there is one in another bath and you have no use for the tub and want a large walk-in shower, closet space etc, then why not just do whatever suits your need.

Some women (including myself) prefer taking a relaxing warm bath than a quick shower especially in the cold months. If your new home is in a mixed community, I would also suggest keeping a bath tub with resale in mind for families with children.

There are some interesting discussions on this topic here:

Does a master bathroom need a bathtub?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:43 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I would love a large walk in shower. If I was doing this I would make sure there is no "curb" to get into the shower, the wand is on a sliding vertical rail and there is somewhere to sit. Having dealt with a broken leg and ankle in the past few years I've discovered how just these little things make a big difference in being independent.
I used a 36"x60" Kohler cast iron shower base. If I ever needed roll-in, it would easy enough to have a wedge of marble cut. I put Grohe thermostat valves on two walls. On one, I have another Grohe valve to switch between a conventional Speakman shower head and a Grohe hand shower on a vertical rail. I put a ton of extra blocking in the walls as a provision to retrofit grab rails. It's a 5' x 8 1/2' footprint. I played every game I could to make it as spacious as possible. Pocket door. A Toto wall hung toilet. Kohler wall hung sink.

I figure the odds of needing a full blown roll-in shower are pretty low.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,542 times
As long as there is a tub somewhere in the house I don't think there is a need for a bathtub especially in the master bath. GeoffD we are going the exact direction you did. Kohler cast iron pan, Grohe exposed rail shower/handheld, extra blocking. We will probably do the same in the ground floor bath with a small square Japanese soaker tub, planning on our dotage.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:57 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
We are in the process of adding a master bath

We will have a wheelchair accessible shower.
Don't need it yet.
, but.....

Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
My Parents Custom-Built a house in 1964,

The master had a Shower Only, The other Bathroom was normal (nothing special) Tub/Shower.

My sister went back few years ago, and the MasterBath Shower had been turned into s Steam/Spa Shower.

I always preferred the shower (shower) over the tub/shower...

Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,143 times
Not so much if there is no separate tub.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
I'm wrestling with the same question. I have 20 year old Jacuzzi tub I don't use and a puny walk-in plastic-like shower that share one wall in the master bath. Almost anything would be better than that shower. There is a clawfoot tub in the guest bath that will stay. Space is limited but I'm looking at a larger "real" shower and a smaller soaker tub as a redesign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement