Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm frozen in time in so far as my tastes are concerned. My musical (and movie) tastes are *exactly* the same as they were when I was a teenager. (I kept hidden then, my love of Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Classical....as well as Gregory Peck, Katharine Hepburn, and yes, damn it, Donny Osmond...lol)

But this song is like no other for me. God help the person in the car next to me waiting at the light as I crank up the radio and sing and the tears come down. Or "Gimmie the Beat Boys", "Kodachrome", etc. (I sing to those, not cry )

I don't feel like there's anything wrong with not liking what has come after my young years (actually, my musical likes pre-date my actual teen years), so "frozen" isn't a derogative (after all, ice cream is frozen! )

What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
I too am stuck in the early 70's up to just when disco started off. American Pie is a great tune. The tear jerker for me is Doctor My Eyes by Jackson Browne. There are many 70's songs that I can relate to. My MP3 has about 250 of 70's and my Sirus radio stays tuned to "The Bridge".

It was a great time in the history of music and it will live on forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
We like certain music genres like early rocks (like the beatles), folk and classical music (of any ages). Due to lack of time and not having any local folk music stations, I am not familiar with contemporary folk music songs/singers but quick recent searches found the young singers/song writers were as good as the ones I listened to back in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

For classical music, the old treasured chestnuts (Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky, Strauss, Mahler, Copland etc.) are still wonderful. However, we have found it is quite enjoyable to discover contemporary composers. We live not too far from Bard College and have attended quite a few of concerts featuring young composers. One particular memorable one featured 3 composers in their teens or early twenties. It was a special treat to see these talented composers in person (they took a bow after the performance of their piece).

I love jazz music of all kinds. Now that I am retired and have more leisure time, I will try to learn more about contemporary jazz composers and singers.

Life is like a bountiful banquet with so much offerings for your senses and soul. There is simply not enough time in the day to discover all the things you want to learn about.

So bottom line is that our musical taste has not changed through the years but we love to add new experience.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I can't say that my taste in music is "frozen" in time. There are songs like Jackie Blue that transport me back to my high school days. The music I listen to changes all the time. For a while I was listening to Rush non stop and now it's smokin hot 20's jazz and I can't get enough of Annette Hanshaw. I listened to Justin Hayward on my dog walkies the other night. Then there's Journey for bike riding.

It's fun to revisit the oldies but goodies, but I need variety.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:34 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm so glad I grew up during that era. I'm glad I didn't have my nose in a computer or smart phone. I got to know my friends. Sleep overs. Stay over for supper. Go fire fly hunting.
Fire flies! When I lived in southern California, a friend (who grew up there and had not lived elsewhere) was surprised when I once mentioned fire flies from my upper midwestern childhood. She said she had always thought that fire flies were a Hollywood invention, added to movies and TV shows for effect.

But, yeah, I have a ten-year-old now and her life has many more demands at that age than ours did in the '70s.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
We listen to a local radio station that has a program called The Legends. Yes, we are frozen in the 60s and 70s music, some 80s too. It seemed to end after that.

I didn't care that much for Elvis when he was popular but I still go all quiet when he sings Love Me Tender or Blue Christmas. In the 60s it was all about the Beatles for Me. I saw the Byrds and liked C'mon Baby Light My Fire. I remember driving around at the beach in a convertible with that song blaring on the radio and all of us singing/screaming loudly along with it.

I saw Donovan in person and had sort of a crush on him. Linda Ronstadt, John Denver--they have great voices and such talent.

The only music I've learned to appreciate after my Frozen in Time Era is that of some of the great Welsh choirs. What beautiful voices they have!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Wow. Your posts have taken me on a trip down memory lane. I forgot about John Denver. And that Bruce is also a fav or mine. As is Billy Joel. So I did get into the 80s some.

Thanks all. And for the historical Vids larry.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM

498 posts, read 572,037 times
I also am not frozen in time for a certain music. I love blue grass, classical guitar, and big band. My 17 yr grandson tells me the good ones of today. Love all music!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I like all kinds of music. Country, Rock, Pop, Spanish. I think many people seem to hold on to the music that they were growing up with. It would seem that many are held in a time frame. I graduated in 1983 from high school and love listening to the Cars, the Police, Van Halen, Journey, The Beach Boys, the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, and a whole lot of others. The Eagles are a big part of my life.

In 1987 I think I heard Randy Travis for the first time and loved the sound of his voice. Ended up moving toward country although I had listened to it growing up. It is in my family, heck my brother makes his money with Country and Bluegrass.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
This was me. Even while living through the 70s music (circa 1973 to 1981) I knew it was c**p (except for some Pointer Sister songs in 74, and Blondies "Heart of Glass" in 79). That's when I began looking back to the music of the 60s and 50s, and then my parents music from the 40s and 30s, and knew it was the music for me. But as you said, the Renaissance came in the 80s (particularly Depeche Mode) which I celebrated, but that was followed by a new Dark Age, Grunge (sorry Grunge fans).

What I have found now that I'm older is that I lack patience, the patience to listen through the 60% of music that is mediocre, or 30% which is trash, to grasp the 10% that is good. By looking to earlier music, time has already culled the worst from the play list, and I don't have to bother with the bad stuff from a particular era.

What happens now is that occasionally a younger person will send me something new he thinks is good. Usually, he is right and I am spared the pain of sifting through the detritus. For example, that's how I came across Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" and Plain White T's "Hey There Delilah". I'm not completely stuck in the past, but I know I'm missing out on some of the better, new songs.

Funny you mention Heart of Glass. I consider that song to have heralded in the Renaissance. It's a timeless classic. But I think some of the greatest music came out of the 90's. Grunge was only part of it. But did like Nirvana. But my favorite 90's group is No Doubt. I absolutely adore Gwen Stefani.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
It's the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's music for me. After that I quit listening to the top 40 type radio shows on the way to work and quit watching network TV at the same time. I no longer knew the top 10 songs and couldn't talk about the hot shows on TV at lunch anymore and I was fine with not being in the loop anymore.

I loved the 60's and 70's music best, my teenage years. Remember when radio went underground from AM stations to FM? The songs being aired were long ones, not the 3 minute AM format and AM stations weren't playing the likes of Frank Zappa or King Crimson. AM wasn't cool anymore. Then FM went commercial and AM went to primarily news and talk and radio wasn't the same after that for me.

As a young teen I went to sleep with a transistor radio between my ear and the pillow listening to WLS out of Chicago and on really clear nights sometimes WABC out of NYC when disc jockeys were big names. Big events and not such big ones will be forever associated with specific songs. Music was so very important to me then. Now it's more likely to be background noise or something that I turn off so I can enjoy the quiet.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-09-2016 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement