Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times

Advertisements

After reading a recent topic on inheritance i get the impression that the government gets everything when parents die=//www.city-data.com/forum/careg...er-trying.html
In my situation my Dad lives in Florida Bro lives a few miles away ,me and sis live in Canada. Dad is 90 cant hear,cant walk,he basically lives on a mobility scooter. ,goes to dialysis 3X a week, he lives alone in a big house and will not entertain the thought of a nursing home or senior assisted living facility or even having a maid come over a couple of times a week to clean up., The house he lives in is worth around $300K,as far as i know he has no other assets and has a pension income of about $2K a month.,while me Bro and sis are financially secure i'd hate to see the proceeds of his estate ultimately go to the government rather than his children.
What are my options to legally avoid giving all his hard earned estate to the government?
I'm thinking should he transfer ownership of the house to my brother before he passes?

Another concern is he told me he hasnt filed income tax since he retired 20 years ago,stating in his opinion he didnt make enough money to pay any income tax so why bother filing.
I got a feeling this action on his part is going to come back and bite us in the butt.
Thanks for any info/advice

Last edited by jambo101; 02-13-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
The way I see, it's his money, he can do what he wants. I have two relatives in the 60s who also have more than $300k but I'm not sure if they have a will or not. I was told my name is one of the beficiaries on the 401k and IRA. But that's it. But I'm not too worried. Que Sera sera, is my motto.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The way I see, it's his money, he can do what he wants. I have two relatives in the 60s who also have more than $300k but I'm not sure if they have a will or not. I was told my name is one of the beficiaries on the 401k and IRA. But that's it. But I'm not too worried. Que Sera sera, is my motto.
Sure its his money and i have no problem with what he does with it, the question is whos money is it after he dies? He worked hard all his life,i'd hate to see it all just go to the government.
He has no will as far as i know.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
It goes to the Estate, and based on his will, and other documents, that's how it will be divided up.

Who is the executor of the Will?

I think The exclusion is ~5M before taxes(Federal) need to be paid.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:56 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
I'm not sure why you're assuming the government will take everything. maybe that's true in Florida?

!st thing to work on is getting him to write a will. Might help if your siblings said they were going to do that and would he want to too.

and if he doesn't start taking care of his house, the value will go down.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:59 AM

At this point its a little late to transfer asset from him. There is a 5-10year look back, if he wind up in a nursing home on medicaid (After all his asset are used up) they will look back to see if any asset were transferred out, and make the party who got them pay it back.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:01 AM

FL does not have a Estate Tax,

Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
If he dies without a will, it is called dying intestate. His property then has to be probated. However, under FL law, his children will equally eventually get the house and any monies he may have. Just keep Googling " dying intestate in Florida". There is lots of info. Here is one article

Florida Intestacy and Intestate Succession Law

However, to make things simpler and quicker, he should have a will. Your brother and your father should also discuss giving your brother a power of attorney for both financial and health care issues. Someone will eventually need to make medical decisions for him and will need to be able to access his funds to pay for care.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 AM

106,554 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
At this point its a little late to transfer asset from him. There is a 5-10year look back, if he wind up in a nursing home on medicaid (After all his asset are used up) they will look back to see if any asset were transferred out, and make the party who got them pay it back.
Look back is 5 years but manipulating some loans an attorney can set it up so only about half the assets are exposed. Transfering title woulf be a tax blunder because unlike inheriting something at a stepped up basis a title transfer retains origonal costs

Old 02-14-2016, 02:37 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Please go to the search options. There have been several threads about these issues already. They may be helpful. Many answers you'll need have already been stated.

Or just google something like "basic estate planning."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement