Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Thanks for your reply, Galaxyhi. I think keeping the car is my best choice. There isn't much out there in the $5k range that wouldn't require money (slim pickings in Vermont).

I am fortunate in that my SSA is SSDI, until I am 66, which is only 1 1/5 years away. Nothing really changes then. Vermont is generous in the support aspect. I get help with prescriptions (above and beyond my Part D plan) and what Medicare doesn't cover, the hospital will. I don't know where you live but some states have literally no resources for low-income seniors, and some are outstanding. Vermont is incredible and I am lucky to live here.
I am glad you are keeping the car, I think you will find it highly irregular to be without one.

Did you know, with SSDI, you can earn up to $790 {for 2015, I don't know if '16 has changed} and STILL keep your SSDI?
I ma NOT a senior {yet} so maybe the help you get isn't available to me here in NY. I DO have hospital help, but there are still things/Docotrs/etc that is not covered via the hospital charitable plan. The ER docs., for example, are contract Doctors, so the hospital "coverage" doesn't apply; and the hospital help only applies if you have primary insurance as required by the ACA {Obama care}. The help I get for prescriptions doesn't cover it all either, especially since I am married to a lower income spouse, you are single, apparently.

BEst of luck to you in saving anything though, you ARE allowed to have some savings wihtout affecting your benefits. Check with SS to find out how much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:53 PM

371 posts, read 537,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Subsidized housing usually doesn't allow people to have savings or to work, right? They'd just raise your rent if you worked so there's no sense in working. There isn't any way to get ahead. The only way to have any money for medical expenses--and there will be some as you get older--is to sell the car and get a cheaper one.
Yes, any money I make increases my rent, not quite dollar-for-dollar but enough for it to be discouraging. The only reason I want to ride again is that is cash money, $20 here, $20 there. I still don't know if I will be able to do so, as I still have issues with my back.

Bicycles and mopeds are out of the question as there isn't any safe place to ride one if I were to use it to go anywhere out-of-town.

I looked online at a few used cars, and honestly, anything in the $3-5k price range has high mileage and is going to need something, and rust is definitely an issue. I would rather enjoy the reliable car I have now for as long as I can since for the next year I don't have to put any money into it. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? In a year, I may not even be able to drive.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default On the subject of rust:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The problem is that you have lived your entire life in very car-hostile environments. Out in the country in non-rusting areas, it's a different ball game.

If you are set on staying in VT, I would agree with selling the car, although, given that it's about to go off warranty, you will get less for it. But that's just my thoughts - no way would I buy a VT registered car, if I could find on around here. Rust never sleeps.
There's an advantage to living in much-maligned Southern California, an advantage I almost never think of. About a year ago I got rid of a car which was 22 years old, and no, there was no rust problem.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Yes, any money I make increases my rent, not quite dollar-for-dollar but enough for it to be discouraging. The only reason I want to ride again is that is cash money, $20 here, $20 there. I still don't know if I will be able to do so, as I still have issues with my back.

Bicycles and mopeds are out of the question as there isn't any safe place to ride one if I were to use it to go anywhere out-of-town.

I looked online at a few used cars, and honestly, anything in the $3-5k price range has high mileage and is going to need something, and rust is definitely an issue. I would rather enjoy the reliable car I have now for as long as I can since for the next year I don't have to put any money into it. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? In a year, I may not even be able to drive.
I think you're wise. I'm not sure where these people are finding these supposedly great cars for $3-5k either, but most of those in that price range around here are either old or high mileage or both. Your current car is reliable. If you've maintained it, it should last you for several years longer.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:10 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
I bought my 2010 Nissan Cube for more than book price after a car accident ruined my back (her fault, not mine) because I could drive it comfortably & low mileage. It has been a wonderful addition to my life and I can't imagine doing without that freedom. I'm thankful you are keeping your vehicle. They become a part of you, Don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement