Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times

Advertisements

Heard about this on this morning's Tucson news and thought I'd share the article: Senior Drivers more Dangerous? - Tucson News Now

I was surprised to hear that Arizona has a 5-year renewal period for all drivers. I know that Indiana has a 3-year renewal for those 75-85 and a 2-year renewal for those over 85.

From my parents, I know how quickly health changes happened. We also had to take the car keys away from my father. I also remember my mother trying to scratch off lottery tickets while driving on a very, very busy interstate!

Would you object to having to renew your driving license more often as you age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Heard about this on this morning's Tucson news and thought I'd share the article: Senior Drivers more Dangerous? - Tucson News Now

I was surprised to hear that Arizona has a 5-year renewal period for all drivers. I know that Indiana has a 3-year renewal for those 75-85 and a 2-year renewal for those over 85.

From my parents, I know how quickly health changes happened. We also had to take the car keys away from my father. I also remember my mother trying to scratch off lottery tickets while driving on a very, very busy interstate!

Would you object to having to renew your driving license more often as you age?

Actually AZ drivers license is good from the day it's first issued until the driver reaches 65. After that it has to be renewed every five years. Mine comes up again in Oct. 2017. Used to be we had to renew every four years for everyone. If they want me to renew sooner it's okay with me. Should be done periodically anyway just because of the pic on the license.

I don't think 'most' senior drivers are any worse than anyone else. My mom wanted to quit driving long before she did but I wasn't always available to take her places. Her biggest 'problem' was going too slow! I think most senior drivers here do. Well, not me but... lol

Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Senors have more experience, therefore better drivers.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Absolutely they are, those High School kids should not be given a license until they graduate........

Seriously, it isn't just seniors in chronological age who are dangerous drivers and everyone knows that fact.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
"nearly 90-percent of older drivers reported no moving violations or crashes in 2012-2013."

Well, no kidding. My (then) 89 year old father didn't report his minor accident either. Why would he?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I live in a resort/retirement community with numerous senior drivers. Our neighborhood is along a two-lane state highway that must be driven on to go anywhere. The folks 70+ years old are the worst drivers. I have ridden with a friend who drove so poorly I won't ride with her again! The ones that we see everyday drive 10-15 mph UNDER the speed limit in good weather, causing people to pass dangerously out of frustration. They straddle the center double yellow line. They come to a complete stop to make a right or left turn when there is no stop sign or cross traffic. They pull out right in front of you from a side street when you are going 50 and have the right of way. Sometimes they drift in their lanes from the center line to the bike lane and back. Unfortunately the cops don't patrol our area that much, so no one seems to get ticketed. I wouldn't complain, or think it was age-related, if it didn't happen nearly EVERY DAY. I see cars which appear driverless because the driver is so small and slumped down that you can't see them over the steering wheel and the headrest.

I would love it if seniors were at least tested on the rules and had to take the driving test every 4 years after age 70. Currently they have to take the eye test. I was at the DMV and personally witnessed an elderly woman who failed the eye test seven times before the DMV clerk PASSED her.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
I renew my license online so I don't see how doing it more often would help. If you mean do I think we should have to go in and be tested...... no. I wouldn't pass the written test. And I am not yet 75.

I am a good driver. I hope I will know when to quit, but if you read this forum, you know that losing your driving privilege is not taken lightly here. Many see it as a loss of independence.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
"nearly 90-percent of older drivers reported no moving violations or crashes in 2012-2013."

Well, no kidding. My (then) 89 year old father didn't report his minor accident either. Why would he?
the problem is study's show seniors drive way less miles as a group making them look safer but the reality is what little mileage in comparison they do drive is pretty high in claims for the mileage driven .

they also create dangerous situations many times by driving to slow and forcing others to do unsafe things out of frustration to get around them . many can't see well or hear well

Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

I have had a restriction on my drivers license since age 16 for vision correction. In other words, I MUST wear glasses or contacts to operate a motor vehicle.

NOT IN ARIZONA.

===================================

Locally, since the beginning of the year, we have had four accidents between drivers over 80 and local buildings including the public library and the courthouse.

When I turned in my Illinois license to the Arizona MVD, they issued me a restriction free drivers license WITHOUT an eye test.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
In the USA, many drivers stink even prior to reaching senior years. Getting older merely compounds the problem.

The issues are a low barrier to entry (very easy to get a license even for very marginal drivers) and poor enforcement of things like lane controls, passing on the right, incorrect right of way, etc, etc.

Most Americans would get in a crash or arrested on day one driving in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement