Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times

Advertisements

I'm 50 and my husband is 60. We haven't decided when we will retire yet. A lot depends on the housing market. If it continues to be lousy we might quit building and just retire. If it improves we might put in a few more years. But I am not good at relaxing. I never take vacations. I like the idea of retiring "in theory" but I am afraid that I won't be any good at it.
I am trying to find a nice area to move to somewhere in the southeast. Not too big, not too small. Maybe Greenville, SC or Knoxville, TN. The idea of starting over in a new area is daunting, but exciting at the same time.
How many of you have done this... just picked up and moved to a new area and started your retirement as a completely clean slate? How did that work out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Paranoid in what way? At work?
parinoid is a strong word.
it is to say the tools that made me a good employee are no longer necessary,
the war is over. time to garden and pet the cat.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 PM

65 posts, read 203,467 times
My husband and I retired over 3 years ago at the ages of 51/48. We both had good careers, lived overseas for awhile and were very good savers. We started our retirement in Phoenix for family reasons (although we'd never lived there before), where we kept pretty busy fixing up the house, hiking, and working part-time jobs as tour guides. The jobs allowed us to meet people, see the area, and improve our cash flow. After my father died, we decided to move to TN for its greenery and lower cost of living. We weren't able to find a house we really wanted to purchase, so we rented a nice home and started to get to know the area. We spend lots of time working out, reading, surfing the internet, my husband golfs, I cook, and we occasionally take a drive to a state park. The best thing about retirement, as others have said, is the lack of stress and the flexibility to do what you want, when you want. The downside is that you need things to keep busy. We don't have children, by the way...and haven't yet made friends here, plus we don't have a house to work on. A couple of months ago my husband surprised me by saying that he might like to go back to work for a few more years. He felt like he wasn't doing enough and could still contribute in his field, and of course the income wouldn't hurt. I said that I'd support him either way, although I wasn't anxious to move yet again. I'll jump ahead and say that we're moving to SC very soon. I plan on finding a nice place to live, settling in, making some friends, and finding part-time or volunteer work in addition to renewing a few hobbies. It might be kind of nice having the house to myself for awhile, although I'm sure it will seem dead-quiet at first.

From what I've seen here in TN, quite a few people retire to different areas where they don't know anyone. The trick is to get involved and have plenty to do...before your husband gets bored!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I'm retiring in five months , also. I would like to find a place that is welcoming to retired singles. Not really desiring to move to Florida. Any ideas ????

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I'm 50 and my husband is 60. We haven't decided when we will retire yet. A lot depends on the housing market. If it continues to be lousy we might quit building and just retire. If it improves we might put in a few more years. But I am not good at relaxing. I never take vacations. I like the idea of retiring "in theory" but I am afraid that I won't be any good at it.
I am trying to find a nice area to move to somewhere in the southeast. Not too big, not too small. Maybe Greenville, SC or Knoxville, TN. The idea of starting over in a new area is daunting, but exciting at the same time.
How many of you have done this... just picked up and moved to a new area and started your retirement as a completely clean slate? How did that work out for you?
I'm 53 and just moved from So, California to SW, Oklahoma 7 months ago to start over.(not retire)
I left everything behind except a trailer full of basic needs to help me start over with.
I didn't quit catch on to some of the earlier comments about "The stereotype of "The Californian" and the "states with a reputation for not liking Californians". But "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
Iv'e been trying to get out of Ca. for years. A window of opprotunity opened and I took it.
The cost of living in OK. is 1/2 and less the cost of living in Ca.
People are leaving Ca. in droves. I had to warn the ones I know to be prepared to be greeted everywhere you go and in every store that you step foot in. That's just the way the Okies are. Friendly and helpful. You won't find that in Ca.
So much for Ca.
Anyway, things turned out great for and I was only 1/2 prepared. So anyone else who is planning retirement it will turn out much better because they will be fully prepared.
Expect a culture shock anywhere you move, but it's easy to get over.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Default Living Life Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid37 View Post
the biggest enlightment was discovering that as we get older, we are so busy doing nothing that there is no time to do anything.
retire is good, it just takes time to get used to.
Amen to that statement, until you actually retire you can't realize how true this is.

I've been retired for a little over a year now, and am having a great time. My wife, who didn't work, said that I'm the "old me" now, and she is happy to have me back! When working, I was frequently preoccupied with work issues, but now I get involved only in that which interest me. I have much more varied activities, and can disengage when I lose interest or get irritated.

I don't miss the meetings, budget discussions, strategic planning, performance evaluations and all of that other stuff at all.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I'm retiring in five months , also. I would like to find a place that is welcoming to retired singles. Not really desiring to move to Florida. Any ideas ????
Anyplace works for you, it is finding a community within the area of interest that is most important. I think that you need to establish your top priorities, just a few, and look over your options.

For example, some folks have sunny and warm weather as a top priority, some might want continuing education for adults opportunities, some might like the city, etc. This is the first thing you need to figure out. You then cascade the subordinate alternatives.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
There's a helpful website retirementliving.com that has tons of info. concerning taxes,property taxes, etc.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
As ever, I wonder how people who retire before 65 manage to have health insurance. The damned stuff keeps more of us tied to jobs than money ever could.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM

19 posts, read 61,322 times
Default retiring in 5 months

A good place to retire is Frenchburg, Kentucky. Relax and enjoy the beauty of some wonderful, and beauitful land that has timber on it. Nature all around like Deers and squirrels all the pretty birds that sing in the morning, evening and through out the day.
Well any way we live in the country and have 40 acres of beauitful land for sale that would be ideal for a nice home. It would close to towns, hospitals and if you wanted a part time job. Being honest about it. You would have low crime rate and that means a lot this day and time. Good neighbors who mind their own buniness but yet are there to help if you needed help with anything. You would have to see the place to belive the beauty. We are trying to down size our land we have 80 acres and my husband is disabled and cannot do all the things he wants to like before. Well what ever you decide good luck.

Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement