Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

every morning when the sun comes up on the sahara, the slowest antelope has got to outrun the fastest tiger,
been like that for me the entire time, til i recently retired.
they look like this.

tiger
acylic Bunky 3 3 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
parinoid is a strong word.
it is to say the tools that made me a good employee are no longer necessary,
the war is over. time to garden and pet the cat.
well put!!
I have noticed the improvement in many of my co-workers who pulled the plug before I. Paranoid could safely describe the annual evaluation process, when your 'kid / boss' loves to call themselves 'the career -busters', (circa Ghostbusters) their favorite line, "You're only one evaluation away from termination !!", my reply "I hope you're looking for my replacement"

Quote:
As ever, I wonder how people who retire before 65 manage to have health insurance. The damned stuff keeps more of us tied to jobs than money ever could.
... you could find out ... my job of 30+ yrs disappeared 6 wks prior to retirement eligibility (no kid boss at the time), so you find options real fast. ... with many yrs left till age 65

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
well put!!
I have noticed the improvement in many of my co-workers who pulled the plug before I. Paranoid could safely describe the annual evaluation process, when your 'kid / boss' loves to call themselves 'the career -busters', (circa Ghostbusters) their favorite line, "You're only one evaluation away from termination !!", my reply "I hope you're looking for my replacement"

... you could find out ... my job of 30+ yrs disappeared 6 wks prior to retirement eligibility (no kid boss at the time), so you find options real fast. ... with many yrs left till age 65
People actually SAID those things, like "one evaluation away from termination"?? Nice. Was it a big corporation? I work for a nonprofit hospital, and if anyone said something like that, THEY would be in trouble immediately, and anyone can file a grievance against them. It's more likely they would be fired.

That's disgusting.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If you are in management that is just a fact of life.You can be replaced at anytime;but that is why you get the better pay.They pay you to produce and there is no security but performing.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you are in management that is just a fact of life.You can be replaced at anytime;but that is why you get the better pay.They pay you to produce and there is no security but performing.
If only that were actually true. I can count the competent managers in my career on one hand. Dilbert is not a cartoon, it is a documentary.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
If only that were actually true. I can count the competent managers in my career on one hand. Dilbert is not a cartoon, it is a documentary.
Oh my, sooo true.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Oh my, sooo true.
It's like that book years ago, "The Peter Principle" - everyone rises to the position where they become incompetent. I'm afraid I don't remember much else about it, but it was a popular book at the time.

It takes a certain skill to be a manager - it's not like you've been doing such and such for years, so naturally, you should manage things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement