Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:21 AM

35 posts, read 43,432 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience or knowledge of these? I have been researching this on the Internet and so far to get pricing info I have to speak to a sales consultant. Not at that point, just want more information without getting the "pitch". It seems like a good deal, especially if healthcare is your biggest need in retirement. Just not sure if there is a catch somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,597,086 times
Do you have any links? I'm not familiar with these.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 AM

5,337 posts, read 6,042,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Do you have any links? I'm not familiar with these.
http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2...r-campus-life/

Examples that are CCRCs include : State College Retirement Communities | The Village at Penn State and Continuing Care Retirement Community in Durham | The Forest at Duke, NC .

Old 03-25-2016, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 43,432 times
Thanks, I contacted the UC Davis program, but they wanted to do the sales pitch thing when I just wanted some written information!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:45 PM

6,636 posts, read 7,375,981 times
The idea is good. But you will only spend a little time doing this so make sure the community has lots of other activities and is convient in terms of transportation to dr's, shopping etc.

You will also find some larger communities run learning centers.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:14 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,130,957 times
Look at the size of a dorm room, the lack of cleaning and poor maintenance, the mediocre food, noise, shared bathrooms, lack of temperature and ventilation controls, sealed windows, cheap mattresses, minimal electrical, etc. Then look at the high prices colleges and universities charge for those accommodations. Do you really want to rent from them?

That said, I have a house that is within walking distance of a major university. The university has an Osher Lifelong Learning program with over 1000 seniors enrolled and over 100 course offerings per semester. Under the right circumstances living near a college or university can offer some opportunities. I would still avoid using their landlord offering based on track record alone.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,356,222 times
I've heard great things about Osher and it's locations are a big draw for me. But I cringe at the notion of a whole life around one thing, and so living in such a community isn't for me. I want the university setting (that welcomes retirees) nearby, but not to live-within, so to speak. Lest I change my mind at a later date or find my focus changes.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,130,957 times
I have wonderful OLLI opportunities. Typically my wife and I sign up for 4 courses each semester. There are no credits and no penalty for missing classes. Last Fall we traveled and missed the first half of the semester. Many others do the same and miss at least some classes. I tend to take the same photography and art classes each semester. Every class covers different topics and there is no problem missing a class or taking the same courses semester after semester.

I suppose some people do build their lives around OLLI but those are definitely in the minority. Most of us use OLLI to supplement our lives with additional intellectual stimulation and interests.

If you are interested in OLLI you will need to do some research on programs that meet your interests. Many of the OLLI programs are very small with limited opportunities.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,175,776 times
What are the search tems to use when googling these university type communities?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,356,222 times
You might try: university retirement communities

Here's something to get you started: List of University Based Retirement Communities - UBRC

PS: I haven't read it....don't know anything about it...just fyi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement