Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 AM

1,354 posts, read 797,704 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]I will exercise more during retirement. My plan is to buy aused treadmill. The goal is to get more strength and lose weight. Whichtreadmill is better, than the others, and why? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,401,058 times
I think a better plan is to join the YMCA.

There you can take advantage of advice from a professional trainer and get into exercise classes that use whatever equipment is best suited to your needs. You will also meet a new social group.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 AM

107,259 posts, read 109,611,540 times
we have been gym rats for 16 years now .

the problem is left to your own devices most folks either do not do it enough eventually or they do a certain routine and never go beyond .

once you get used to doing whatever you do on the tread mill unless you go faster and harder then that you never progress .

things are not really cardio once they become normal things you do .

i run 4-1/2 miles now every other day on the tread . but every week i increase that as my heart rate comes down and gets used to it . i started running 1 minute and walking 2 minutes 2years and 3 months ago .

today it is non stop 4-1/2 miles at a full 2.3 miles per hour faster then i started at 2 years ago and alternating inclines through out .

my weight lifting has ceased getting me any bigger . for a decade now i just seem to maintain what i have but no matter what i do i can't get beyond . at this age a lot is measured not in gains but what you don't lose .

but even at this age cardio keeps on increasing your heart efficiency . weekly i see my heart rate come down at the end of the run and i have to run faster and further to get it back up to where it was next time . .

Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,389,365 times
I use the pavement and a good pair of sneaks. I get nature, smiles and small talk along the way.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,965,103 times
We get a lot more exercise now that we are retired. We have stairs, live on a mountain , take hikes, enjoy gardening and walking our dog. We did buy a stationary bike for use when it was too snowy and.cold. I think that for myself it is better to do activities for exercise, instead of exercise machines.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 AM

5,643 posts, read 25,011,247 times
Back in '98 I had a doctor that was great and gave me a prescription that said go to them gym three times a week. When I asked what exactly I should do he told me that I was smart enough to figure it out, just go. I started three days a week, liked it enough to go almost every day, and eventually settled on an every other day schedule.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,811,413 times
I agree with others that a gym or other exercise tends to be better, but if I were going to get a machine for home I would go with an elliptical over a treadmill. Unless you get a high dollar treadmill, you will probably pound your joints more than you expect because the platforms on the cheaper ones either don't flex at all or stay bottomed out while you are on it.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:56 AM

33,369 posts, read 26,645,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]I will exercise more during retirement. My plan is to buy aused treadmill. The goal is to get more strength and lose weight. Whichtreadmill is better, than the others, and why? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Hi Maple.

I don't use treadmills and so I can't give a personal opinion on which ones are better, but I'll post this Consumer Reports guide which also contains a 6 1/2 minute video which provides good information on which to base your decision.

Best Treadmill Reviews

One thing that isn't mentioned in the video is that while probably most treadmills are motorized and so you simply set the speed and then keep up the pace, there are also non-motorized treadmills in which you have to supply the power with your legs. So that is something you want to keep in mind in making your decision.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 AM

22,099 posts, read 13,211,129 times
Will make a great clothes rack!

Get a good pair of walking shoes and GO OUTSIDE.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,333,216 times
Its not the same.

I've been walking almost daily for a year now and have lost 15 pounds. Didn't even change my eating habits. Well, I do eat less, but that has happened naturally, not because that was my goal.

I was in the military for over 20 years and nothing was better than going for a run (walk now), pushups and sit-ups, squats. Use your body as the machine, not a machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement