Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 AM

156 posts, read 387,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

At least that's heartening to me, since I'll have to work. Maybe I WILL be hired when I'm 80!!
Looking on the bright side, maybe by that age I will have decided what I really want to do in life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
You're right, Dave - I would never want to fully stop working, and I probably can't anyhow.

This morning in USA Today on the front page, there's an article about keeping us Baby Boomers in the workforce because they will need us. My state, Massachusetts, already has a program, and many other states are coming up with them.

At least that's heartening to me, since I'll have to work. Maybe I WILL be hired when I'm 80!!
They'll need us? Is the generation behind us that irresponsible, unemployable?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
They'll need us? Is the generation behind us that irresponsible, unemployable?
Yes, apparently so - we have more experience (of course) and solid education. Who knows what they're teaching them these days!

Also, I guess because we're almost 1/3 of the population.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Yes, apparently so - we have more experience (of course) and solid education. Who knows what they're teaching them these days!

Also, I guess because we're almost 1/3 of the population.
A lot has to do with, IMO, the work ethic issue as well.

Those in the older generation tend to be more reliable - they show up for work - don't call in sick as often etc.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A lot has to do with, IMO, the work ethic issue as well.

Those in the older generation tend to be more reliable - they show up for work - don't call in sick as often etc.
Bingo! I've noticed that a lot, although I do work with some young people who are fairly reliable.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
When should a person retire? At what age? 40’s 50’s 60’s 70’s or even 80’s

If they are financially ok to?
If their health is starting to fail them?
If they can’t find another job?
If they just don’t like to work any longer?
If they need to stay home and care for a love one?

When???

Financially ok? Definitely
Health Failing? A little too late. Better to retire before that happens.
Can't find another job? If financially ok.
Don't like work anymore? If financially ok, again.
If they need to stay home? If financially ok.

So it appears that "when financially ok" is the answer - and work is no longer something to look forward to doing.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Well, I would have retired but unfortunately I only got 3 numbers on the Mega Lottery tonight and the winning ticket was in Georgia. Maybe next time I'll be the lucky one retiring.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, I would have retired but unfortunately I only got 3 numbers on the Mega Lottery tonight and the winning ticket was in Georgia. Maybe next time I'll be the lucky one retiring.
Splendid...this was good lol

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have to agree that the generation now coming of age doesn't have much going for it. But then that is exactly what has happened in europe. Look at the high unemploymant rate of those under 30. It was like 30% in europe last I looked.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Given the demographics of the U.S., there simply aren't enough younger workers.Not that you'd know it by age discrimination.

I think people should retire ASAP as they a) want to and b) can afford it. I think if/when my day comes, I'll have to do absolutely nothing for as long as I feel like after all these years of shoving myself out the door to make a living. I've never found a calling that paid decent money. As I said to one friend, "We weren't willing to compromise and marry for security, so we really have to dig in about working."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement