Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 AM

218 posts, read 174,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
7% a year increase is soaring?
The Globe article claims that people in Massachusetts and federal employees are facing 100%+ premium increases. That's a salient piece of information for anyone contemplating LTCi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 03:10 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHillers View Post
The Globe article claims that people in Massachusetts and federal employees are facing 100%+ premium increases. That's a salient piece of information for anyone contemplating LTCi.
But that's over like 15 years! Crappy scare tactics article!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 AM

784 posts, read 728,795 times
I am self insuring. After looking at the statistics, I feel there is little chance to be in a nursing home. Most stays are less than 3 years. That's $360K, at most, based on $$10K a month, which is high. Medicare covers the first 90 days pretty good. If you get hurt, go to the hospital, and come back to the NH, they cover another 90 days.

I do not have kids. If I use up what I have, so be it. I plan on hiring strippers and bringing in beer every night if I am in for the duration until the money os gone.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
I am self insuring. After looking at the statistics, I feel there is little chance to be in a nursing home. Most stays are less than 3 years. That's $360K, at most, based on $$10K a month, which is high. Medicare covers the first 90 days pretty good. If you get hurt, go to the hospital, and come back to the NH, they cover another 90 days.

I do not have kids. If I use up what I have, so be it. I plan on hiring strippers and bringing in beer every night if I am in for the duration until the money os gone.
$360,000 is fine if your are 90 but what is your plan if you are only 50 and 30 years from now the cost is $1,000,000 plus?

Also the SNF is going to put their hooks on your money pretty quick so your Fun money might not be available. When my Dad was on his last legs and it became obvious that he would not be able to continue living in my home the facility started their asset search. Since I am a Jr. they want to make me prove my CA property was not my Dads. He had lived in Indiana all his life and I had owned my home for over 10 years. They were ruthless. He was supposed to die 9 years earlier and he was obviously at deaths door but they wanted multiple years of assets. They even dumped him when he went to the hospital and wouldn't take him back even tho he had at least a years worth of cash!! What a great time to have all this crap happen. Got him in a new place and he passed the first morning there.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE OLD, SICK AND POOR if you can avoid it.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
I am a fan of quality over quantity so my goal is not to live to some ripe old age anyway. I have a few more things to accomplish and after that it is all icing on the cake. If at that point I am disabled to the point of needing a care facility, I will take a carbon monoxide exit (fairly painless, clean way to go).

Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 AM

18,059 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Quote:
Got him in a new place and he passed the first morning there.
I noticed it seems to be quite common for an elder to pass 'relatively' quickly after they get into SNC. My dad actually passed a week before he was going to be booted from the rehab wing of the nursing facility he was in. My friend's father passed within 3 months of going into a nursing facility. My grandmother passed within about 4 weeks of going into a nursing home. Over and over I keep hearing these kinds of stories. I used to think a policy that only covered 3 years or only 5 years was ridiculously short but in lots of cases, that's plenty of time and more than enough time for some percentage of people.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Again as the OP I am writing here to remind folks that the idea here is that you need a plan. It may not work but keep in mind the possibility that you might need long term care or you might not. It might be only a few months or a couple of years. You can cover that with LTCi or you can self insure with savings or you can take your chances. Only you the individual or the couple can know which is a better choice. If you have some assets it might be best if you can get into LTCi. Even more so if your assets really would only cover one in a couple in a worst case scenario. If you are just surviving on SS and have 100k or less in savings don't even bother. It isn't worth the effort. Everyone else it is your call.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:11 PM

72 posts, read 40,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am a fan of quality over quantity so my goal is not to live to some ripe old age anyway. I have a few more things to accomplish and after that it is all icing on the cake. If at that point I am disabled to the point of needing a care facility, I will take a carbon monoxide exit (fairly painless, clean way to go).
I too agree with taking matters into your own hands if quality declines beyond a threshold. For me it might be full throttle off the edge!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstway View Post
I too agree with taking matters into your own hands if quality declines beyond a threshold. For me it might be full throttle off the edge!
The trouble with that kind of thinking and plan is you might not have a choice in the matter. I am not saying that laws or people would interfere but you could lose the ability to make that happen physically or mentally due to a medical or accidental means. Just bear that in mind with those thoughts of a slow and painless way to depart life. Even taking a car of the edge of a cliff does not guarantee a clean death with or without seatbelts. The man or woman upstairs might have another plan for you. He or she might want to torture you some more.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I noticed it seems to be quite common for an elder to pass 'relatively' quickly after they get into SNC. My dad actually passed a week before he was going to be booted from the rehab wing of the nursing facility he was in. My friend's father passed within 3 months of going into a nursing facility. My grandmother passed within about 4 weeks of going into a nursing home. Over and over I keep hearing these kinds of stories. I used to think a policy that only covered 3 years or only 5 years was ridiculously short but in lots of cases, that's plenty of time and more than enough time for some percentage of people.
And that's why anecdotal "evidence" is weak. I have stories from two of my great aunts and my grandmother who were in nursing home for more than 5 years each! Maybe times are different? People wait much longer before going to that level of care? Even so, that intermediate level of care still has to be paid for somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement