Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 02:43 PM

14,992 posts, read 12,204,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I can read a book at home anytime I want, so yes I do prefer to watch random strangers that I don't know or care nothing about (i.e., people watch) at an airport. Particularly fashionably dressed women, and sometimes men, who have a good sense of style with great accessories and haircuts. I don't claim to know the difference between a Louis Vuitton bag and a Hermes bag but I can appreciate a well designed, object of beauty. And I would assume that many of these women are well to do. I'm not trying to be friends with them or stalk them or find out their net worth and I'm not jealous of them. It's just a treat to see smart looking, well dressed people in real life. I work at an air force based surrounded by nerdy engineers in short sleeved button down plaid dress shorts and the state uniform is jeans, a tee shirt, and flip flops. So it is refreshing to travel to places like California where you can see more interesting fashion.
LOL, as I said, to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:45 PM

14,992 posts, read 12,204,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Or other people's money. The truly "well off" don't discuss money.
Exactly! Kind of pathetic, IMO, that folks seem to be so obsessed with other people's money.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,457,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Why does this bother you so much? Nobody on here seems jealous! Are you worried about your privacy, because you seem overly concerned about what total strangers may speculate about you?
Actually, I don't care about total strangers on here. Not at all.

I am tired of people my age (locally) who seem to be curious/annoyed with our situation. I have several folks who have made terrible life decisions about their finances and they look at us and are resentful. They b*tch because they have second and third home equity lines of credit, etc. Yeah, but for years they had brand new cars, luxurious cable plans, designer handbags, nail salon visits every 7 days, etc. We saved. These are the same ones who look at us and say that we have been "lucky" or "cheap", etc.

Ultimately, they have made their own futures. So have we. I only post because I don't think a lot of people who have not been cautious look at those of us who have been and ask why we are somehow "entitled" etc, They look at us if we go on a vacation and are resentful. etc etc

Old 07-19-2016, 04:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,993,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The ONE or TWO people I HAPPEN TO NOTICE in a day, nowhere near compare to the HUNDREDS of people I don't notice.
And it's the same for us all. It's not that deep, people, really.

Unless there a poster here who'll say they don't notice. not. one. single. thing, and not. even. one. person, ever.
(No doubt there will be one just to be obstinate)
I suppose NOTHING has ever caught your eye about ANYONE you've ever seen or passed by in life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think is it not the 'noticing' but the 'judging' that people are referring to....
Yes, I agree with Pitt Chick. Of course we all notice different things relative to our individual interest in various things. For instance, some people pay attention to clothes, other people are drawn to babies, and yet other people are attracted to bling, others marvel at architecture, etc. Me, I notice animals, dogs in particular- it wouldn't matter to me if the people with the animals were dripping with jewels or stark nekkid- I simply couldn't care less. That's me.

However, the title of the thread is " A sure way to find out who is a "well-to-do" retiree". So my question is why do you want to "find out" and how do you intend to do that without tripping over a dozen or three really flawed and superficial assessments? There is an inherent value judgment in wanting to know what other people have that I find unbecoming. If it had been phrased differently as in "what things tell you that someone is financially stable", I wouldn't have objected to it. Where it went off the rails for me was the part about "find out" which was creepy to me because an individual's financial affairs are private and not something someone should aspire to "find out" about, and the only sure way to do so is intrusive and potentially illegal. Or maybe I just don't get the interest some have in other people's business.

My perspective may be somewhat skewed though since until very recently I worked in a niche area of private wealth management so had a rather unique view of personal finance.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 07-19-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 05:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Ultimately, they have made their own futures. So have we. I only post because I don't think a lot of people who have not been cautious look at those of us who have been and ask why we are somehow "entitled" etc, They look at us if we go on a vacation and are resentful. etc etc

This. I don't want to hear about the good time charlie's in life complain to me when they don't have any money. Like you I choose to be cautious and am sometimes called cheap for it. I'm also very lucky that I don't care about "things"and eating out, lol.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:21 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,674,926 times
Travel can be misleading... my wife will retire Delta with flight benefit. We can fly anywhere Delta Flys for free... personally, I am done with so much travel and once retired will likely not fly as much but I suspect she will continue to travel..

Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM

14,818 posts, read 8,151,181 times
I don't care how much someone eats out, or how much they travel,
whether they are rich or poor. Stuff like that does not matter...its all superficial.
If you travel and you eat out, and you are happy...that is great!
If you don't...but you're happy... that is great!

I like people who are kind, well read, compassionate and still have a joy and a love for life...that is what really matters in the end. I could care less about income status and social order.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,656,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Money to travel several times a year and eat out a lot at "nice" restaurants.

We all can have nice houses, cars and clothes, some solid stock/investments" -yet its these two things that tell me the couple is well fixed, financially, because they are the extra expenses that separate the herd.

We can keep up with the house, car and clothes but we have to cut back on the travel and nice restaurants to save money.

What tells you that a couple you meet or know is doing very well?
That doesn't tell you anyone is wealthy. They could be in debt up to their eyeballs.

I don't pay attention to who is doing well and who isn't. Most people I know with money don't flaunt it. You'd never know many people have money. They don't dress to the 9's, drive fancy cars, live in mansions, etc.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,733,504 times
I wouldn't guess based on travel or dining out, either. The person might love staying at or near their home turf. If they are busy with local activities they might not even have travel on the mind other than once in a great while.

After all, some choose retirement locations for the local recreational and other opportunities.

If I had to live in an inexpensive urban location I would definitely get away as much as possible. But if I could afford a huge parcel of land in a gorgeous area with tons of outdoorsy stuff to do, I would stick around most of the time. Travel doesn't indicate more than a desire to go somewhere else for a while.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,492,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Yes, I agree with Pitt Chick. Of course we all notice different things relative to our individual interest in various things. For instance, some people pay attention to clothes, other people are drawn to babies, and yet other people are attracted to bling, others marvel at architecture, etc. Me, I notice animals, dogs in particular- it wouldn't matter to me if the people with the animals were dripping with jewels or stark nekkid- I simply couldn't care less. That's me.

However, the title of the thread is " A sure way to find out who is a "well-to-do" retiree". So my question is why do you want to "find out" and how do you intend to do that without tripping over a dozen or three really flawed and superficial assessments? There is an inherent value judgment in wanting to know what other people have that I find unbecoming. If it had been phrased differently as in "what things tell you that someone is financially stable", I wouldn't have objected to it. Where it went off the rails for me was the part about "find out" which was creepy to me because an individual's financial affairs are private and not something someone should aspire to "find out" about, and the only sure way to do so is intrusive and potentially illegal. Or maybe I just don't get the interest some have in other people's business.

My perspective may be somewhat skewed though since until very recently I worked in a niche area of private wealth management so had a rather unique view of personal finance.
Thank you for reminding us of these words. I'm going to admit this is why I judged the OP. Maybe if he had said something like "You can tell" or words to that effect, it would have seemed he was just speaking randomly out of curiosity. Saying "find out" conjures up the idea of seeking knowledge of the personal finances of strangers. At least that's the way I read it and that's why I said I didn't care about other people's financial situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement