Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,950,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
how can you tell who is the most well-to-do? Whoever has the most backyard chickens, of course! Thinkin' that might be me.
vicky,
Yes, I think you are a very well-to-do woman enriched in contentment and living wisdom.

My 'dream' future home will definitely include a chicken coop and if I am lucky, it will be near a pond for some ducklings.

Your comment reminded me of a fowl-related wealth story. A couple years ago we flew our little plane to Schenectady airport for my husband to take a demonstrated proficiency flight exam with a FAA examiner (this was after the cataract and retina detachment repair surgeries.)

While waiting in the FBO, I struck a conversation with a little old lady who was there with few family members. She confirmed that she was waiting for a flight and that she had never been in a small plane before. I told her that I had just flown our little plane in and gave her some suggestions on how to avoid motion sickness.

She proceeded to tell me the whole story leading to her first flight today. Years ago, she and her husband made friends with a couple on a vacation. They told her that they raised turkeys in Michigan for a living. She thought that they owned a small farm. Little that she knew that they were the owner of one of the largest commercial turkey farms in the country.

Over the years, they exchanged letters and phone calls. When it was her 90th birthday, the couple organized a big birthday celebration in New York That year, for her 91st birthday, they offered to fly her to Michigan for a birthday bash at their home.

Before long, I heard a jet engine noise and saw a Citation taxied to the FBO's front door. Two women stepped down, the mother (the friend of the old lady) and her daughter. They both dressed very casually in simple blouses, jeans and sneakers (the styles which anybody could buy at Meijer, Target or Walmart).

I watched the happy old lady led to the plane's door arm-in-arm with her friends with her son and grandchildren waving good bye. The air was filled with laughter, joy and the warmth of friendship. Except for the shiny Citation jet with uniformed pilots, there were nothing on the women to indicate their wealth or status. However, I could tell that they were very rich in spirit and definitely 'upper class' by their simple, unpretentious manner and their respectful treatment of their 'lower class' friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:42 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Funny . And the converse of this is when I go to any big city - I always bring along my best (Celine) handbag (can't afford a Birkin - well maybe I could but it wouldn't make sense in terms of using it maybe 5 times a year) and my best designer shoes (I have some Gucci handbags as well - but they're not as "au courant" as my Celine handbag). That's what people always look at first to size you up - your handbag and your shoes . I could be wearing a Land's End tshirt and some off the rack pants from Dillards - but I'm sized up at a restaurant in terms of my handbag and my shoes.

What was the restaurant you dined at on the UES? We'll be taking our anniversary/birthday trip to New York next month. Haven't been there in quite a few years. Am looking forward to it. Robyn
That is hilarious. I don't notice such things, and I would have no clue. Never even heard of Celine except for that Canadian woman who warbles MY HEART WILL GO ON, but I don't think you're carrying her.

Or a Birkin. I don't think I ever notice anyone's shoes, either, but again, I wouldn't know if they were designer or Payless BOGO deals.

I would not be duly impressed, alas. But, I have a gay guy friend who would IMMEDIATELY notice such things!

This is truly not meant as a "oh, see how anti-snobbery I am" post. I mean exactly what it says--I just do not know about or notice name brands. But if you do and you like buying certain products, by all means enjoy them.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM

16,413 posts, read 30,414,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is hilarious. I don't notice such things, and I would have no clue. Never even heard of Celine except for that Canadian woman who warbles MY HEART WILL GO ON, but I don't think you're carrying her.

I would not be duly impressed, alas. But, I have a gay guy friend who would IMMEDIATELY notice such things!

This is truly not meant as a "oh, see how anti-snobbery I am" post. I mean exactly what it says--I just do not know about or notice name brands. But if you do and you like buying certain products, by all means enjoy them.

I think that it is time for some appropriate music for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8

Old 08-19-2016, 04:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,562,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Are we back to talking about restaurants?...
Yes and no. I was prepping for a colonoscopy on Thursday - and had it this morning. Basically starving. Uncomfortable too. That was all I could think about was food - although it didn't seem very appetizing yesterday . Now that's one thing where we are all equal. Colonoscopy prep. It sucks no matter how little or how much money you have. In any event - having colonoscopy is better than the alternative (my mother - who never had a colonoscopy - died of colon cancer - a pretty miserable way to go - I am kind of a fanatic on the subject - so don't get me started ).

So where were we?

Robyn

Old 08-19-2016, 04:36 PM

107,307 posts, read 109,695,874 times
they tried to give me a prostate exam but i wasn't falling for that scam . i know my prostate is really in my neck .

Old 08-20-2016, 08:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,867,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
vicky,
Yes, I think you are a very well-to-do woman enriched in contentment and living wisdom.

My 'dream' future home will definitely include a chicken coop and if I am lucky, it will be near a pond for some ducklings.

Your comment reminded me of a fowl-related wealth story. A couple years ago we flew our little plane to Schenectady airport for my husband to take a demonstrated proficiency flight exam with a FAA examiner (this was after the cataract and retina detachment repair surgeries.)

While waiting in the FBO, I struck a conversation with a little old lady who was there with few family members. She confirmed that she was waiting for a flight and that she had never been in a small plane before. I told her that I had just flown our little plane in and gave her some suggestions on how to avoid motion sickness.

She proceeded to tell me the whole story leading to her first flight today. Years ago, she and her husband made friends with a couple on a vacation. They told her that they raised turkeys in Michigan for a living. She thought that they owned a small farm. Little that she knew that they were the owner of one of the largest commercial turkey farms in the country.

Over the years, they exchanged letters and phone calls. When it was her 90th birthday, the couple organized a big birthday celebration in New York That year, for her 91st birthday, they offered to fly her to Michigan for a birthday bash at their home.

Before long, I heard a jet engine noise and saw a Citation taxied to the FBO's front door. Two women stepped down, the mother (the friend of the old lady) and her daughter. They both dressed very casually in simple blouses, jeans and sneakers (the styles which anybody could buy at Meijer, Target or Walmart).

I watched the happy old lady led to the plane's door arm-in-arm with her friends with her son and grandchildren waving good bye. The air was filled with laughter, joy and the warmth of friendship. Except for the shiny Citation jet with uniformed pilots, there were nothing on the women to indicate their wealth or status. However, I could tell that they were very rich in spirit and definitely 'upper class' by their simple, unpretentious manner and their respectful treatment of their 'lower class' friends.
I love it. I'll take substance over style any day.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,487,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Or a Birkin. I don't think I ever notice anyone's shoes, either, but again, I wouldn't know if they were designer or Payless BOGO deals.

But Robyn is not meaning to impress YOU - but other rich folk whose opinions she actually cares about!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,562,592 times
I basically don't care about anyone's opinions about a lot of things. But I do try to keep on top of what's going on in the world. Whether you're talking about politics - financial things - technology - or style. I don't care to become a doddering old person who's living 20-30 years ago. In the past. I am sure I will fall behind at some point. But not because I don't try to keep up with things.

BTW - although I thought vicky3vicky's comments about the chickens was cute - I think from her prior messages here that she has much bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't wish on a dog what happened to her:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...nt-bubble.html

And - if I knew how to use a gun and found the guys who messed up her house/family - well all I can say is I'd probably get in a lot of trouble. I am very thankful I've never had to deal with issues like that - and hope I never have to (as do most of us here). I do hope she is doing better these days. Robyn

Old 09-08-2017, 01:26 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,657,834 times
I do notice whether men have a decent haircut and whether they dress in a decent manner. I do look down on men who wear t-shirts or whose hair is unkempt. I've been been getting casual clothes from L.L. Bean since high school. I know that wealthy people often buy from Bean, but their clothes are easily within the budget of most people. Appearance isn't only money.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
I don't think you can tell by appearances -- or judge a book by its cover, as they say. As I learned first by reading "Class" by Paul Fussell and then from my own experiences, those who try hardest to look rich are usually in debt, whereas the truly wealthy are secure enough to dress down and be careless about their appearance. You don't get (or stay) wealthy by throwing your money away on passing fashions OR by trying to impress others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement