Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
UGH! Totally agree. There is one (at least) on these boards that has to proclaim their affluence on EVERY SINGLE POST. Very insecure, or fabricating. At the very least, BORING. But at least it's not IRL so I can just skip away, LOL.
I think most of us know whom you mean. I suspect that he had a nothing job and has a less than a joyful retirement so he exaggerates and occasionally posts outright lies. He's bitter and angry because he thinks he deserves better. However, if he deserved better, he would have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is what's called gossip.
Was intended to show that when it looks like someone is "well off" ( early retirement, 3 week vacations, newly remodeled home, fancy manicures, etc,) the truth may be far different than it appears.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:40 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
What's wealthy anyway?
I don't know
I guess a state of mind

Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM

226 posts, read 214,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have never understood people of this sort. Basking in reflected glory provided by simple propinquity is silly. However, I have heard statements such as the following.

"We were sitting there when __________ (pick a well-known person) came in with her (take your pick) husband, paramour, ex-husband, ex-paramour, et al."

For all I know, I may have once stopped at a traffic light where Jeffrey Dahmer was driving the car ahead of me. That does not give an aura of sophistication.

I'm sure that everyone saw the clip of President Macron of France just about knocking people over to stand next to President Trump. It beats me.
I went to school in NYC and not a week went by when we wouldn't see some celebrity. My best friend used to get so excited about it and brag to people that "Today we ran into Liza Minelli" or "We saw Robert Redford crossing the street" and I wondered why. It is not like it was some sort of personal accomplishment on our part that the two of us would be crossing the street at the same time as some random famous person.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Maybe the best way is to follow someone you suspect is wealthy home and if they go to a mansion in an upscale neighborhood you can figure they're wealthy.

Two possible problems with that suggestion though, A. they could be the hired help and B. You could get arrested for stalking.

Not necessarily: I own a half million $$ home (filled with antiques) that I originally bought for $47,500 and upgraded with cash I earned as a stripper. I chose to live nicely and not save so everyday, I can see and enjoy the fruits of my labors. I'm one of those people who is bored by money and bank accounts and sees no sense in having a stash in the bank. I could tell you absolute HORROR stories about people I personally know who lived beyond frugal, then died with over a million in the bank. What's the point - and we have no clue as to when the death date is. And... it somehow amuses me to drive a 14 yr old ford focus. All this really throws people off.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Don't judge a book by its cover. Lived in horse country west of DC-Metro and the richest of the nouveau riche came to town in 20+ year old station wagons, wearing torn flannel shirts. The 'real' farmers out that way dressed way better than that when going into town. Of course Fri. and Sat. nights at the expensive/famous Inn at Little Washington (Virginia) the horsey set was decked out in their finery, jewels and driving their RR's or Maseratis.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Money to travel several times a year and eat out a lot at "nice" restaurants.

We all can have nice houses, cars and clothes, some solid stock/investments" -yet its these two things that tell me the couple is well fixed, financially, because they are the extra expenses that separate the herd.

We can keep up with the house, car and clothes but we have to cut back on the travel and nice restaurants to save money.

What tells you that a couple you meet or know is doing very well?
Pretty much the same. I have reconnected with a high school friend who is retired. Doesn't appear to be overtly wealthy but travels a ton. Do I care? Not really, good for them. I'm not jealous. I am a little sad?, not really the right word, awkward?, because the friend is willing to consider some travel with me which I would love, but I feel a little um...like I can't afford the same sort of travel or as often. I take small inexpensive trips about 4 times a year and spend the next months watching tv and eating in to get my bank account healthy again.

A little off topic, I grew up poorer than the people I associated with around me. I have shame issues with money that I don't always understand but I know money makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't feel comfortable around rich people unless they are that special type of person who really doesn't see class and material things and money don't really show in their lives. I bought a nice vehicle recently (used but pricey). I really loved my old car a 97!) for many reasons. I also think people perceived me differently when driving it, other more middle class or blue collar types were I think friendlier. I felt friendlier.

Last edited by Giesela; 09-18-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
What tells you that a couple you meet or know is doing very well?
Nothing... I have seen wealthy people dressed as if they were poor, and visa versa...

I have a family member who is very wealthy, while for over 40 years I wrongly assumed they were very poor...

I did not read through the 300+ responses

Old 09-18-2017, 02:50 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
No way to know for sure, unless you see their "balance sheet". Some are wealthy, but frugal. Others are not really wealthy, but want to appear so.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Perhaps a well to do retiree is one who over a 15 plus year retirement period has seen their net worth increase. Food for thought. Not necessarily wealthy but well to do or well off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement