Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 PM

5,236 posts, read 4,708,218 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I get a kick out of reading articles such as the one ER linked. Along with a ton of other stuff we in America can't seem to agree on we now have the age thing as a constant reminder of just how far apart we are on most issues surrounding work, retirement, politics, money, cars, real estate, taxes, the list goes on, but in the end we all have to see this as simply the offering of different opinions and not facts. How long we decide to continue working is certainly a very private matter, but the web is just too inviting, we just have to know how others feel about things, we seem to be in that mold when we ask others for advice, and now we can ask the whole world.

My own decision came about in the form of a realization, one that I couldn't ignore. I left work at age 62 and have never thought about doing any more work, ever. For others, I simply don't care what decisions they make with regard to their work and other aspects of their life. It was, in my case a difficult time at retirement, I had the usual worries, but felt liberated to be able to make that choice, something I didn't have any say in until I was old. I wish everybody here a long and fruitful life, whether you work or not. We are all wired differently, and I'm thankful for that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 AM

292 posts, read 359,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Another very good read on the topic from Bloomberg with some great thinking as to why.

Golden Years Redefined as Older Americans Buck Trend And Work - Bloomberg

I found the above from the link very interesting. With pensions there were incentives to retire early, while with 401K/403B plans especially if maxed out and with a match you may want to roll up the moola more. I wonder if more affluent workers with maxed out work place plans are inclined the most to work a few more years.
Thanks for this TuborgP. It's a nice change from the articles blasting those over 60 who keep their jobs, thus denying work to the young 'uns. My birthday was this month, so, in addition to contacting SS to start benefit at max, I made a commitment to take off more time (3-4 months in all with one 4-6 week stretch, and the rest 2-3 weeks). Through my working life I had plenty of great trips and events, but more than 5 days at a time was very rare. As Vision said, "the elephant in the room is your health".

Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying (Official Music Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9TShlMkQnc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement