Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,299,839 times

Advertisements

You don't have to be "injured" in the service to be awarded disability benefits.

One of mine is because of my thyroid.

They cover all kinds of things. They just found I had thyroid issues while I was serving. I packed on the pounds - lol!

When I out-processed for retirement they started our claims processing. A nice man from the DAV filled out my paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,082,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You don't have to be "injured" in the service to be awarded disability benefits.
I work at the VA and you are correct. There are many Veterans that receive disability pensions for disease processes which symptoms began while they were on active duty but not a direct result of their military service. Off the top of my head I provide care to two Vets both with MS that developed symptoms of this disease while on active duty and receive 100 %+ pensions as there is some special provisions for MS, ALS, and other terminal neurological diseases. In addition to these two diseases there are multiple others that can meet the criteria for awarding a Vet a disability pension. The process starts with filing a claim and following a Compensation & Pension exam is scheduled, and from there other testing if indicated that eventually determines the outcome.

There is also pension called Non-Service Connected Pension (Also Called Improved Pension). This pension is for low income veterans who are disabled because of conditions that came about after their military service. It is only for veterans with severe disabilities, and veterans must have served during a federally recognized period of war to receive it. Veterans must also have very little income, as the income cap for eligibility is not very high.

Also, spouses Vets that are 100% service connected disabled are eligible to receive care at the VA until they reach age 65 Medicare eligible age at which point they transition to the ChampVA program and can receive care in the community under this benefit. These spouses are also eligible upon the death of the Vet to receive a portion of the Vet's disability pension.

To the OP, I suggest you contact your local VA Hospital Eligibility office and they can tell you what care you may be eligible for.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM

11,174 posts, read 9,800,086 times
There is apparently coverage for very low income vets who meet certain criteria. Check on this website: Apply for Health Care | Explore VA Benefits and enter your data in the form. It will be able to tell you if you qualify.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM

647 posts, read 1,665,583 times
Thank you all for your responses. It has been helpful and I'm glad I could start a conversation about it.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
Health benefits through Tricare are only available to retirees from the military unless you are a disabled vet and then you can get them through the VA.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:23 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Veterans requirement for medical assistance.
Veterans Eligibility - Health Benefits
There is no reference as to how rich or poor you are.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:46 PM

11,174 posts, read 9,800,086 times
If you go through the link I referenced above in post #13, they do ask for your income. When I entered my own data it said that I had too high of an income to qualify.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:30 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,280,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Veterans requirement for medical assistance.
Veterans Eligibility - Health Benefits
There is no reference as to how rich or poor you are.
The form
http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pd...Z-fillable.pdf
you fill out has a Section V that asks for all income of the Veteran, Spouse and Child.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
You are not required to disclose your financial information; however, VA is not currently enrolling new applicants who decline to provide their financial information unless they have other qualifying eligibility factors. If a financial assessment is not used to determine your priority for enrollment you may choose not to disclose your information. However, if a financial assessment is used to determine your eligibility for cost-free medication, travel assistance or waiver of the travel deductible, and you do not disclose your financial information, you will not be eligible for these benefits.
You can still get benefits, you may have to pay a portion of the costs. I have a BIL and a neighbor who have average middle class finances and they go to the VA medical often and pay only a $10.00 co-pay. One just had hand surgery on both hands. Nothing military related.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,082,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If you go through the link I referenced above in post #13, they do ask for your income. When I entered my own data it said that I had too high of an income to qualify.
If I were you I would call your local VA eligibility office, or better yet go there with your DD214 and tax information. I work with R.N.s and other VA employee Vets that have no service connected disabilities with incomes >$100K and get their care at the VA. They service history entitles them for VA care, but their incomes throw them over the copay exempt status so they are required to pay copays for physician visits and medication. Most of the Vet colleagues I work with despite having copays get care at our VA for easy access since they are already in the building working and can easily attend various appointments.

As best to my knowledge the only people I have seen declined are those like my husband who served in the Army National Guard for 11 years but was never deployed during war time to a combat zone. Although most are now deceased, Merchant Marines during WWII were awarded Veteran status if their duty involved supporting the war effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement