Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Not insurance a such, but free or low cost healthcare.

You can explore your specific eligibility for any healthcare benefits at this VA website Apply for Health Care | Explore VA Benefits

They have priority system. Depending what priority # you get determines what , if any, healthcare you can get. My father and an uncle were able to get hearing aids because they served in battle in ships and tanks.

And if you are eligible, VA can be in addition to Medicare. See page 23 of https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02179.pdf

One benefit all veterans have is a free burial plot and headstone at any of the VA National cemeterys around the country.
Spouses also receive free burial at the National cemetery in the same grave as the Veteran spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM

11,122 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
If I were you I would call your local VA eligibility office, or better yet go there with your DD214 and tax information. I work with R.N.s and other VA employee Vets that have no service connected disabilities with incomes >$100K and get their care at the VA. They service history entitles them for VA care, but their incomes throw them over the copay exempt status so they are required to pay copays for physician visits and medication. Most of the Vet colleagues I work with despite having copays get care at our VA for easy access since they are already in the building working and can easily attend various appointments.

As best to my knowledge the only people I have seen declined are those like my husband who served in the Army National Guard for 11 years but was never deployed during war time to a combat zone. Although most are now deceased, Merchant Marines during WWII were awarded Veteran status if their duty involved supporting the war effort.
Thank you for posting this as it can answer some of the posters' questions. I only entered my data to see if it would say I was eligible. I have insurance through my pension plan. However if I ever have something that isn't covered, I will look into the VA.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM

193 posts, read 405,243 times
Search for Veterans group life insurance

Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Cant answer the OP's question, but I do know that veterans whether or not they served in combat can get discounts of 10% at LOWES.

Also, they can get into veterans retirement homes. Not sure that's something you would want as not sure of the quality of care, but it is available.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bznavyveteran View Post
Search for Veterans group life insurance

That has nothing to do with getting health care through the VA or getting health care insurance for veterans. VGLI is a term insurance plan.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Cant answer the OP's question, but I do know that veterans whether or not they served in combat can get discounts of 10% at LOWES.

Also, they can get into veterans retirement homes. Not sure that's something you would want as not sure of the quality of care, but it is available.

I get the 10 percent at Lowes and Home Depot, but I have to show my military ID. I believe at least one of them will do the 10 percent for all veterans once or twice a year on Veterans Day or Memorial Day or both. But it's not an everyday thing for those who are out and didn't stick around long enough to retire.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Health benefits through Tricare are only available to retirees from the military unless you are a disabled vet and then you can get them through the VA.
I neglected to also include you are eligible for specific medical conditions from due to exposure to Agent Orange.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:13 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That has nothing to do with getting health care through the VA or getting health care insurance for veterans. VGLI is a term insurance plan.
not only a term life insurance plan but expensive to boot. There are less expensive policies out there not requiring veteran status.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I get the 10 percent at Lowes and Home Depot, but I have to show my military ID. I believe at least one of them will do the 10 percent for all veterans once or twice a year on Veterans Day or Memorial Day or both. But it's not an everyday thing for those who are out and didn't stick around long enough to retire.

It is where I live. My father gets it all the time.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:40 AM

11,122 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Just a heads up with regard to obtaining veteran discounts...many states are now issuing driver's licenses which indicate veteran status. You have to take your DD214 and proof of honorable discharge to the DMV and pay for a new license (in our state something like $11) and your new license will have "veteran" printed on it. It's a lot easier than carrying a copy of your DD214 around!

The Lowe's and Home Depot discounts are identical...10% anytime for active, reserve, retired or disabled vets. 10% discount for other vet's only on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and 4th of July. You have to ask for it, and show ID indicating veteran status.

Lowe's and Home Depot Military and Veteran Discounts Explained - Guardian Of Valor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement