Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 11:38 AM

164 posts, read 175,440 times

Advertisements

Of course I don't have to answer it and I don't have to explain to anyone why I didn't answer their call. I rather enjoy walking through Walmart without a phone stuck to my ear.

I had only one emergency in all of these years and the first person I asked to use their phone handed it over without concern.

Plus, I like not paying (what is it now $80 a month) to not answer calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 03:06 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Cellphones actually have an off-switch.

As I stated - I am "graduating" to a smartphone but still keeping it turned off.

T-Mobile $3 a month pre-paid plan. The phone costs me $59.

I will still only use it for emergencies and when I travel.

My usage will not change - my phone bill will - from $70 a month to $6 a month - $3 for me and $3 for my spouse.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:17 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I thought I was saving money buying a smartphone that was a few years old. Not.

Turns out, it's not supported by AT&T anymore and I can only use it on T-Mobile. Where I live you can't get a reliable T-Mobile signal anymore (some recent change in the technology, they told me) so the phone part is mostly useless unless I'm lucky enough to be in an area with good T-Mobile service. T-Mobile said that with a newer phone that has newer technology, I'd be able to use their service anywhere. Well, I'm not about to pay a small fortune for a new phone--I'll just suffer!

Mostly I wanted to always have a decent camera on me AND to be able to make emergency calls if the car broke down. This phone does take excellent pictures, unlike the bad photos that you usually see from a phone.

To my surprise, what I like most about my phone is the internet capability. I use it all the time--in drs offices, restaurants, even at home to look something up easily without getting the laptop up and running.

Someday I'll have to break down and get a NEW model smart phone. I love the mini computer aspect, love having a camera with me at all times, and would like to have phone service. BTW, I don't have data on mine--I guess it's just too old a phone to be useful for that (4 yrs old) where I live. I could get data through T-Mobile but it's expensive (not worth it if you would barely use it) unless you can have a family plan. I just use the wifi at home or wherever I go. As the guy in Staples told me, there's a reason why the kiddies buy an updated phone every year.
T-Mobile has some decent inexpensive phones on its pay-go plans. Like these (for $59.99):

Prepaid LG K7 | Read Reviews, Tech Specs & More | T-Mobile

Prepaid Samsung Galaxy On5 | Galaxy On5 Reviews & Specs | T-Mobile

Also - if anyone is interested in a T-Mobile plan - it's best to wait a few weeks. T-Mobile is rolling out a whole new set of data plans on September 6 - T-Mobile One:

https://explore.t-mobile.com/t-mobile-one

FWIW - I can't understand why your 4 year old phone wouldn't be good for data. I do remember a network upgrade where a really old phone I had wouldn't work on the new network. But that was like maybe 10 years ago - ancient history. Robyn

Old 08-22-2016, 06:39 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
I got a flip cell phone about 15 years ago when my car broke down on the highway and had no way to call for help. At the time, we had a landline (don't today) which is what we always used.

My kids live 1,000 miles away. I told them you call me because I don't want to call when they are at work or in the middle of something with the babies. So I rarely use the phone. I had texting on the flip phone but never used that, or the other features. No reason to.

It recently broke and my husband got me a Smart phone as a package. I have only used it three times in three weeks when my daughters called me. I am retired and always home so I am on my laptop. Why would I use a tiny phone when I can do everything on the computer except for phone calls/texting. I can understand if you are away home, but at home just use the computer.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
BTW, my younger daughter, who has the two babies, always calls me on her landline, not her I-Phone. Battery won't die out.

I was back in NY during Hurricane Sandy. All our cell phones went dead but my daughter's landline worked the entire 48 hours when we had no power. Personally, I would prefer to have BOTH.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
I agree that landlines are great to have, Jo48 -

especially during storms as you cite, and for great sound quality and reliability, no fading in and out, no poor reception giving annoyingly poor sound quality, and no dependence on being charged up.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-22-2016 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 03:16 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
Of course I don't have to answer it and I don't have to explain to anyone why I didn't answer their call. I rather enjoy walking through Walmart without a phone stuck to my ear.

I had only one emergency in all of these years and the first person I asked to use their phone handed it over without concern.

Plus, I like not paying (what is it now $80 a month) to not answer calls.
I don't blame you.. they either suit one's lifestyle or they do not. I have mentioned, but my Cell is a $59.00 Smart phone from AT&T with Prepaid ("Go Phone") service, for $100.00 a year. Obviously, I am not your typical user...but that is the rate I had signed up for long ago, which I don't know if they offer new customers, but offer other rates, besides. There are no other fees and did not buy a data plan. I am just mentioning as others have, as options. (I've found that I am not really using, unless I call long-distance or when away from home, so I might determine a lesser rate for). One thing too, if connected to another who has the same service, no minutes are used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
BTW, my younger daughter, who has the two babies, always calls me on her landline, not her I-Phone. Battery won't die out.

I was back in NY during Hurricane Sandy. All our cell phones went dead but my daughter's landline worked the entire 48 hours when we had no power. Personally, I would prefer to have BOTH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I agree that landlines are great to have, Jo48 -

especially during storms as you cite, and for great sound quality and reliability, no fading in and out, no poor reception giving annoyingly poor sound quality, and no dependence on being charged up.
I agree. I have been used to and prefer a landline for those reasons, besides having a low rate and discount (AT&T), unlimited local calling, no added features. As mentioned, it is valuable to have a landline after natural disasters, but try telling that to younger generations or others who refuse to have one.

I think part of the disinterest for some is, once land lines were marketed with added features or part of a package, they became an extra expense and since most are using a cell phone anyway, they figure "why bother?" Besides this, not many phones for landlines are available to purchase. If people would just inquire about having an individual service, insisting on no package or features, they can get a good deal. These companies are conditoned to SELL services, but we can say NO.

I once had "Call Waiting", "Caller ID", "Call return", etc., later realizing I was not really benefitting from, but many are conditioned to having this. Occasionally, another may say, "I tried to call, but was busy"...which is okay and not an emergency. (It is not like I am expecting a prospective employer or a guy I want to hear from). I have had marathon calls when others are likely not to call. I've had a little answering machine the past few years, which I really like. For me, my lifestyle now just does not demand extras.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
...I have been used to and prefer a landline for those reasons, besides having a low rate and discount (AT&T), unlimited local calling, no added features. As mentioned, it is valuable to have a landline after natural disasters, but try telling that to younger generations or others who refuse to have one.
Not necessarily.

Lost in America: Still No Phone Service After Hurricane Sandy - IEEE Spectrum

Also - a landline is not a substitute for doing things like complying with pre-storm evacuation orders. Roads are frequently impassable after hurricanes. Huge snow storms and floods too.

Quote:
I think part of the disinterest for some is, once land lines were marketed with added features or part of a package, they became an extra expense and since most are using a cell phone anyway, they figure "why bother?" Besides this, not many phones for landlines are available to purchase. If people would just inquire about having an individual service, insisting on no package or features, they can get a good deal. These companies are conditoned to SELL services, but we can say NO.

I once had "Call Waiting", "Caller ID", "Call return", etc., later realizing I was not really benefitting from, but many are conditioned to having this. Occasionally, another may say, "I tried to call, but was busy"...which is okay and not an emergency. (It is not like I am expecting a prospective employer or a guy I want to hear from). I have had marathon calls when others are likely not to call. I've had a little answering machine the past few years, which I really like. For me, my lifestyle now just does not demand extras.
There are hundreds - maybe thousands - of landline phones available on Amazon.

The thing I don't understand is where your long distance service comes from. You don't have it on your landline. And - if you use your pre-paid cell phone - making long distance calls on it will eat up your limited number of minutes. Or maybe you just don't make (m)any long distance calls. That is kind of unusual IMO.

FWIW - we had a AT&T landline up until about 5 years ago. It cost $60/month with no features except for long distance. Which is basically ridiculous. I took a look today - and adding long distance service to an AT&T landline costs $25/month. Robyn

Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times
Lots of comments on this thread, interesting. My wife and I have 2 flip phones, unlimited this that that and the other thing, total cost $60 monthly, cheapest phones they had, difficult to get open, difficult to use, very irritating. The reason I started looking at this thread is that we hate these rather new phones and I want something better and cheaper. We have a landline that is also associated with our internet, so, we seem to be stuck with that. Anyway that costs $80 per month. Landline almost never rings, except some polling company or other irritating type of call. I just feel like $140 is too much per month for what we get, but, I don't know what to do about it.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Lots of comments on this thread, interesting. My wife and I have 2 flip phones, unlimited this that that and the other thing, total cost $60 monthly, cheapest phones they had, difficult to get open, difficult to use, very irritating. The reason I started looking at this thread is that we hate these rather new phones and I want something better and cheaper. We have a landline that is also associated with our internet, so, we seem to be stuck with that. Anyway that costs $80 per month. Landline almost never rings, except some polling company or other irritating type of call. I just feel like $140 is too much per month for what we get, but, I don't know what to do about it.
One nice benefit of getting rid of our old landline is the junk calls disappeared. For years. We replaced the old landline with a VOIP line from Xfinity (as part of a triple play package). And now - 5 years later - we're just starting to get a trickle of junk calls (a couple of election polls). Maybe it's a good idea to change your phone number every 5-10 years or so?

That $80/month probably covers your internet and your phone line - yes? What about cable TV? If you haven't shopped around in a while - perhaps it's time to shop around now. For a new package. I realize many people don't have many provider choices - but most of us have at least a couple. And some providers are better than others in various places. Also - if you haven't shopped the packages that are available from your current provider recently - there may be some better deals around now.

As for the phones - I can't understand why a flip phone would be difficult to open. But I will take your word for it. In any event - if you don't like your current phones - shop for new ones. Go to a phone store and play with them. See what you like. And don't necessarily go for the cheapest. Go for one that you're comfortable with that's easy for you to use. Then pick a plan that makes sense for you. If you're a very light talk/text cell phone user who doesn't use data - you can find pre-paid plans for as little as $3/month:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

And then it comes up from there. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement