Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 PM

8,363 posts, read 6,459,263 times

Advertisements

I'm a retiree who just got his first smartphone or cell phone about a month ago. A iphone 6, I had a tablet and that really helped me learn how to use it.
Thanks to the helpful guy at Cricket who got me all set up and friends i learned it much faster than I thought I would.
I feel like I have joined the rest of the world.
I canceled my home phone a week ago, what joy not to have robocalls all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You resurrected a two-year-old thread for the sole purpose of berating a poster for something he wrote in response to a post of yours in August 2016? Did it take you that long to compose that diatribe?

Think of it as a kind of Lazarus syndrome posting.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM

14,262 posts, read 14,787,600 times
I am 76 and of the home and pay phone generation. As a single person (widower), I will soon be dropping my home phone and going only cellular.

My son, wife, and one child (9 years of age) do not have a home phone. They are all cellular.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,781,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You resurrected a two-year-old thread for the sole purpose of berating a poster for something he wrote in response to a post of yours in August 2016? Did it take you that long to compose that diatribe?
No, I came here to report on how life without a data phone is working for me. Responding to an obnoxious comment was just BONUS!

I'm saving $700 or $800 a year. Also they don't give out "free" phones any more with a 2 year contract so those "smart" phones are now several hundred dollars more on top of that, and they expect you to upgrade the phone itself every year or two.

As I said, I not only do not NEED to be chained to the internet like its an umbilical cord, I don't WANT to either.

And I am sick and tired of people who insist on texting complicated conversations because its convenient for them, regardless of how INconvenient it is for the receiver.

I have my phone for MY convenience.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,781,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I like having a phone in the car (for possible emergencies.) Otherwise I have very little use for it. Mine is always turned off and I only turn it on to use myself (almost never) or if some delivery nitwit demands it.

I was still using my original Nokia flip-phone, taped in duct tape to keep its cover together until last week or so. I finally caved in and bought a new Nokia flip-phone. It had reached the point where the next bit of needed duct tape was not going to do the job.
I hunted all over for a Nokia flip phone and couldn't find one! I've got the Alcatel One Touch and I'll use it til it breaks - but just for the information's sake, where did you find yours?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:58 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,349,022 times
When I had my thyroid removed in 2013, one of my vocal cords was paralyzed. My voice sounds horrible and sometimes I can barely be heard. Texting has been a godsend for me.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,297,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When I had my thyroid removed in 2013, one of my vocal cords was paralyzed. My voice sounds horrible and sometimes I can barely be heard. Texting has been a godsend for me.
same for a relative. It is hard to talk so they prefer to text.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:30 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
No, I came here to report on how life without a data phone is working for me. Responding to an obnoxious comment was just BONUS!

I'm saving $700 or $800 a year. Also they don't give out "free" phones any more with a 2 year contract so those "smart" phones are now several hundred dollars more on top of that, and they expect you to upgrade the phone itself every year or two.

As I said, I not only do not NEED to be chained to the internet like its an umbilical cord, I don't WANT to either.

And I am sick and tired of people who insist on texting complicated conversations because its convenient for them, regardless of how INconvenient it is for the receiver.

I have my phone for MY convenience.
I feel similarly. My lifestyle doesn't require texting and have WiFi only at home, usually not accessing with the cell. It's an Android phone with AT&T "Go Phone" service and use sparingly as it is with me when away from home or if using for long-distance, costing little. Otherwise, I love the landline (costing literally a few dollars without added features), having a clear connection and use an electronic answering machine purchased just a few years ago. Yep. It will upset me when a traditional landline is no longer available (when getting older and likely becoming even more frustrated), being that they are wired to the Internet and won't work the same.

I think this has all become such a preference for many having been so conditioned to utilize, becoming so reliant upon and one's personality. (Maybe if I had been younger when it had all come about, I would have gotten reeled in, too). Frankly, though it is commonplace, I can get annoyed seeing many commonly walking around staring at their phones, about to bump into someone or something. Recently, when driving down a driveway to access a parking lot, I had to stop as a woman was walking toward me right in the middle of the roadway, until her companion notified her to move and also had another practically walk right into me. I don't believe one needs to be connected to the Internet constantly either, and as you say, there now exists the desire for steady communication through texts, having this usage be insisted upon by today's standards. I think many could live without a lot of it, but have been so conditioned to do otherwise.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:05 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,556,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I feel similarly. My lifestyle doesn't require texting and have WiFi only at home, usually not accessing with the cell. It's an Android phone with AT&T "Go Phone" service and use sparingly as it is with me when away from home or if using for long-distance, costing little. Otherwise, I love the landline (costing literally a few dollars without added features), having a clear connection and use an electronic answering machine purchased just a few years ago. Yep. It will upset me when a traditional landline is no longer available (when getting older and likely becoming even more frustrated), being that they are wired to the Internet and won't work the same.

I think this has all become such a preference for many having been so conditioned to utilize, becoming so reliant upon and one's personality. (Maybe if I had been younger when it had all come about, I would have gotten reeled in, too). Frankly, though it is commonplace, I can get annoyed seeing many commonly walking around staring at their phones, about to bump into someone or something. Recently, when driving down a driveway to access a parking lot, I had to stop as a woman was walking toward me right in the middle of the roadway, until her companion notified her to move and also had another practically walk right into me. I don't believe one needs to be connected to the Internet constantly either, and as you say, there now exists the desire for steady communication through texts, having this usage be insisted upon by today's standards. I think many could live without a lot of it, but have been so conditioned to do otherwise.
I would add to your experience that I dont need to hear other peoples conversations in the grocery store, on the train, in a restaurant etc etc etc. The rudeness cell phones have encouraged seem to have no boundaries.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:44 PM

361 posts, read 738,311 times
Unfortunately I'm still working (for the time being) and need my cell phone for two-factor authentication. Beyond that, I prefer texting to phoning. Having a camera at hand all the time is amazing...so many dog photos, cat photos, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement